Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps. I forgot he had one. I like the complex colors, though. Versatile with different clothing.

Personally, I've been gravitating to light colored hats. Probably because they're hard to find in vintage.

Sent directly from my mind to yours
As I have also esp with the warmer weather.

philosophy101

A-List Customer
absolutely stunning !!

thank you
You're most welcome! I should add that the colors in this pic (on my monitor, at least) don't appear accurate. The burgundy is is actually a bit lighter, and has more red in it than it appears in the photo. As to the Sahara felt, here's a photo from FL member Smoothsailor that (on my monitor) accurately represents the felt color (and, I might add, has a beautiful navy ribbon that I nearly chose for my own. And look at that red accent stripe! Art!).
smoothsailor-sahara:blue:red.jpg

g.durand

One Too Many
Here is the second of the two I recently ordered from Art. It has the same proportions as the granite mid-ribbon number I posted last week--5 3/4 inch crown, 2 7/8 inch brim. This one is in silverbelly dress weight beaver felt with a thin ribbon and wind trolley--basically the traditional Open Road dimensions and trimmings. I sent Art a couple of photos of one of my Stetson 100s for reference.

It's a stunner. The photos don't do it justice. The silverbelly felt has a mottled look with slight variations to the color, giving it a handmade appearance that the factory-produced vintage Stetsons don't have. On a quality scale (workmanship, felt quality), compared to the ORs I have, this one would fit nicely between the Stetson 25 and the 100, and might even rival a 7X.

IMG_8173_zpsizvykkat.jpg
IMG_8184_zpseofzs0u2.jpg
IMG_8176_zpstu0i8acj.jpg
IMG_8190_zpshz3ywuxg.jpg

Last edited:

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Here is the second of the two I recently ordered from Art. It has the same proportions as the granite mid-ribbon number I posted last week--5 3/4 inch crown, 2 7/8 inch brim. This one is in silverbelly dress weight beaver felt with a thin ribbon and wind trolley--basically the traditional Open Road dimensions and trimmings. I sent Art a couple of photos of one of my Stetson 100s for reference.

It's a stunner. The photos don't do it justice. The silverbelly felt has a mottled look with slight variations to the color, giving it a handmade appearance that the factory-produced vintage Stetsons don't have. On a quality scale (workmanship, felt quality), compared to the ORs I have, this one would fit nicely between the Stetson 25 and the 100s, and might even rival a 7X.

IMG_8173_zpsizvykkat.jpg
IMG_8184_zpseofzs0u2.jpg
IMG_8176_zpstu0i8acj.jpg
IMG_8190_zpshz3ywuxg.jpg
Another real beauty! Man, I don't know how I'm going to contain myself for the next several weeks waiting for mine to go into production.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
beautiful Michael ...

you have me thinking about SB now

are there those tan tones to it that we sometimes see in "silverbelly" ?

g.durand

One Too Many
The tones are very subtle and run from tan to gray to blue-gray. The hat changes with the light. Outdoors in sunlight it looks almost white. I'm sure it varies from batch to batch, though. I have a silverbelly lightweight from Art that has the light tones but none of the other tones.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me, that style and those dimensions are just about perfect. For my Christmas hat (my P.R. campaign with my wife), I'm thinking the Sahara, but does anyone know what colors are available in Art-lite? I've been searching this thread and Art's homepage but couldn't find any list.

g.durand

One Too Many
I think Anthony has a more recent update, but when I initially talked to Art about these hats he said he had these colors in lightweight--Silverbelly, Coyote, Powder blue, Steel, Dark Moss, Black, Chocolate,
Sahara, and Granite.

frussell

One Too Many
Nice, Michael. That's the silverbelly I remember from all my pre-Hatco Stetsons and Resistols, and I prefer it to the sand color that passes for silverbelly now. Been in the queue for a week or so now for something very similar, an Open Road clone, but in "big boy" dimensions. Little taller crown, and at least a 3" brim. I am a large fellow.

g.durand

One Too Many
Nice, Michael. That's the silverbelly I remember from all my pre-Hatco Stetsons and Resistols, and I prefer it to the sand color that passes for silverbelly now. Been in the queue for a week or so now for something very similar, an Open Road clone, but in "big boy" dimensions. Little taller crown, and at least a 3" brim. I am a large fellow.

Frank--Even my vintage Stetson 100s don't look like this, and have a slight tan tone. I really like the Winchester version. It puts the "silver" in silverbelly. The only vintage hat I have that has any color similarity to this one is an early to mid-'60s Resistol 10X.

frussell

One Too Many
Yeah, Resistol seemed to keep the tan out longer than Stetson. The ones I had, and the ones my grandfather always wore were more grey, Stetsons included. They were beaver blends, though. Maybe the 100s, like my 7X CB, were more tan because they were 'natural," and 100% beaver. The more I see of yours, the more I look forward to mine.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Anthony has a more recent update, but when I initially talked to Art about these hats he said he had these colors in lightweight--Silverbelly, Coyote, Powder blue, Steel, Dark Moss, Black, Chocolate,
Sahara, and Granite.
Thanks very much. I've been thinking that the Artlite might make a nice alternative to straw, which is all I wear at this time of year down here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points