Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[article] Age appropriate dress for men.

Tiller

Practically Family
I'm twenty four right now (almost twenty five), and I honestly don't understand the desire to dress "young" or "hip". Granted he never used those words in the article, but the underline theme seems to be that he is disappointed that he can no longer follow the trends that say his teenage son can. I hated the "am I in or out" angst that some people have with regards to fashion trends, because what it boils down today is brand name chasing. I remember even hearing some of my Goth friends say how a certain person wasn't "Goth enough" because she bought he clothes at Hot Topic, instead of a Goth approved store :rolleyes:.

In my opinion a grown man shouldn't be worried about following the new "fashion trends". Buy some suits, and some ahem "smart shirts and pants" (as he calls them), and show your kid the difference between style and brand name chasing. If he still thinks you look "old" it's probably because your son is closer to childhood then adulthood in his own mind.

Do the things you normally do. If you enjoy going to rock concerts, continue to go to them (if the wife allows ;)). If some young punk wannabe gives you crap about how you dress, politely grab him by the neck and inform him that without you and your generation buying those CD's years ago he wouldn't be listening to the band now.;)

Oh and please for the love of God if your older then 16, don't buy "designer jeans". Jeans are for working in. They are suppose to be covered in oil and dirt. They shouldn't have rhinestones/designs on the back of them, and should never "sparkle". In fact no male should have rhinestones on their clothing, unless they are going for the classic country music look, or they're a pro wrestler.lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Faskinatin'

Verrrry interesting. I guess I fall into the "over 60, allowed to be eccentirc" class. Maybe that's why this whole thing seems amusing to me.
Personally, I think the overriding issue is more body shape than age. There are lots of more casual clothes that I won't wear (like jeans for instance) just because my waistline keeps telling me "Don't go there, Dan".
As far as those shorts are concerned, he should only wear them if he's actually on a sailboat, or about to be or just coming back from being on a sailboat. Otherwise, forget it.

Tiller

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
As far as those shorts are concerned, he should only wear them if he's actually on a sailboat, or about to be or just coming back from being on a sailboat. Otherwise, forget it.

I think you nailed that on the head. He looks like a tourist to me, but I didn't know if that was the right way to describe it. Eccentric or not I don't think it's something you'd wear to the office. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
While reading the paper yesterday I saw an ad for a Macy's Father's Day sale. The picture showed a man, probably in his early/mid-thirties, wearing some sort of tight-fitting dress/sport shirt hybrid with a tie tucked army-style between the buttons, along with a pair of mid-thigh denim shorts with cuffed bottoms, and unlaced canvas high-top sneakers with no socks.

This is what "Dad" looks like, c. 2010? Looks like the article cited by the Baron comes along just in time.

Feraud

Bartender
For many men, however, this sort of fashion behaviour is frowned upon during the middle years, from 30-50: dare to get too jazzy with your clothes and you're obviously in some sort of crisis.
But I don't feel like I am having a crisis.. :eusa_doh:

Overall I can understand where the author is coming from. Dress for the age, occasion, etc.
It is mostly sound advice for people who do not consciously have a "look" in mind. Most of the bad fashions we gripe about seems to be the result of people wearing whatever falls off a store clothing rack.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tiller said:
... If you enjoy going to rock concerts ... If some young punk wannabe gives you crap about how you dress, politely grab him by the neck and inform him that without you and your generation buying those CD's years ago he wouldn't be listening to the band now.;) ...

That should be "buying those 8 track tapes years ago". :D

Edward

Bartender
I haven't worn a pair of short trousers since July 1997. Actually, between 1991 and 1997, I wore shorts on a grand total of six days, and I bitterly, bitterly regret every single one of them. :rolleyes:

To date, my midlife crisis seems to have pushed me even further in the direction of "old man" clothes, rather than dressing "young".... lol

Talbot

One Too Many
For me, the issue with shorts is how long they are and what footwear people choose to wear with them.

Having said that, they will only ever be casual wear or work wear.

I find little to object to in the guy's angle on this. Can't say the same about those (such as George F. Will) who turn up their prissy noses at grown people in blue jeans, which Will refers to as "children's" attire. I might take his sartorial suggestions more seriously if he ever got a grownup's haircut.

Me, I don't do shorts (outside of the gym) because I don't like the way they look on me. I didn't like them in my younger days, either, for the same reason. Some people look good in 'em. I just ain't one of those people.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
No-one ever does, I believe.

Then, BAM! You've got a sportscar and attendant chick/dame/mol in the driveway … And you find yourself seriously considering "dress shorts" and knee socks a la Australienne.

bk

Yeech! Dress shorts and knee socks - when I was a high school student in the 1980s the older male teachers sported that horrendous look. :eek:

I like the line in the article: "It's a fine line between age-appropriate and boring." Outside of my sharply-silhouetted vintage suits and beltbacks, my day-today winter wear of generously-cut trousers, sportscoat, fedora and sweater vest probably look drab and even 'fuddy-duddy' to many people. But I'm warm and that's more important!

Chas

One Too Many
What about Daisy Dukes?

reno911-lennon-interview-1.jpg

I wouldn't do shorts unless we're talking swimming outfits; and even then I go with my vintage 1930's wool.

Geesie

Practically Family
Over the last few years, I've been phasing t-shirts out of my wardrobe. I want to stop wearing jeans casually so much, but it's hard to find an alternative that's affordable and durable. Men's trousers seem to be jeans, chinos, or poly/wool thin dress slacks. I don't want to wear jeans so much, but I can only stand khakis for so long, too.

I'm pushing 30 and I don't want to look like a college student any more. Of course, I also don't want to look like a typical guy in his 30s in a polo shirt, khakis, and loafers.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Talbot said:
For me, the issue with shorts is how long they are
Yep, I like them to hit right at my kneecap.

604-1-lg.jpg

I couldn't imagine dealing with a Summer/tropical climate without shorts in my wardrobe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm