Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Silke said:
Greetings.

Then I stumbled upon an image that looks exactly like the cap I had in mind:

capr.jpg

What exactly is it that I'm looking at here? My limited knowledge tells me it's a Big Apple Cap. But the Big Apple Caps I seem to come across don't have those dimensions.

Then there's this Stetson Hatteras cap:
http://www.carnelle.com/stetson/pics/caps/hatteras264044.jpg

But it doesn't quite have those dimensions does it?

Let's see... I think the Extra Full Cut newsboy made by The Hat People is very much what you are looking for. Not that other available caps would not fit your request, but I do have a couple of Extra Full Cuts and they look like that to me.

That's me in one of those. If you pull the crown to one side, more than I did, you would get the effect in your pic. Hat People caps do not have bill snaps, which favours the style of wearing you like, which would surely leave the unfastened snap visible.

DSC_0282-1.jpg

The Hatteras would not do. I have one, too. It was much less volume, and, besides, the front part of the crown is sewn to the bill, preventing its shifting. Here is mine, for your reference:

DSC_0737b.jpg

I hope this helps.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Naptha bath process

Righto you expert naptha hat bathers - what's the process you use for doing this?

What do you do before and after you drop your precious vintage lid in the bucket of chemicals? Or is it as simple as 1. Fill bucket with naptha 2. drop in lid and leave for ???hours 3. Pull out, dry and wear?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Flange - I`m fascinated by the curl of the brim, but I`m still struggling to understand the flanging process, and what makes for an even curl versus an uneven one. Any volunteers?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
Righto you expert naptha hat bathers - what's the process you use for doing this?

What do you do before and after you drop your precious vintage lid in the bucket of chemicals? Or is it as simple as 1. Fill bucket with naptha 2. drop in lid and leave for ???hours 3. Pull out, dry and wear?

That more or less nails it. I leave the hat completely intact before I dunk it, that is, ribbon, binding, sweat, liner all stay in place. Others prefer to strip their lids down to the body before dumping it in the Naptha. I usually let it rest there for at least three hours, sometimes for the whole night.

After that take it out, put it on a hat stand and let dry for a few hours. Maybe turn it over when it's more or less dry to expose the liner to the air and let it rest a little longer. With some sweats it might be a good idea to clean and lexol them after the Naptha bath.

Brush the hat, put it on your noggin, go out and generously accept your compliments. :cool:

:D

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I don`t want to bring a negative side to this...but I do hope you are using gloves...Naptha exposure is not a good thing...

texashatman

Familiar Face
New Hat for about $120-$140

What's the best new fedora style hat in the $120-$140 range? I've been looking at some vintage hat's but I need to buy one for a special occasion this weekend and can't wait for delivery. Any help would be much appreciated. I went to a store near my house and they have a nice looking Stetson Temple Soveriegn in Caribou that I like but I don't see much written about the new hats.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
daizawaguy said:
I don`t want to bring a negative side to this...but I do hope you are using gloves...Naptha exposure is not a good thing...

Good thing that you mention it, thanks for that. Of course I do. I also use a mask - and I never work with Naptha inside the house. I elaborated on the whole procedure at greater length in another thread not so long ago.

duggap

Banned
texashatman said:
What's the best new fedora style hat in the $120-$140 range? I've been looking at some vintage hat's but I need to buy one for a special occasion this weekend and can't wait for delivery. Any help would be much appreciated. I went to a store near my house and they have a nice looking Stetson Temple Soveriegn in Caribou that I like but I don't see much written about the new hats.

I don't know how close you are to Garland but there is a Stetson (et al) outlet that you could get a good price on a hat. [huh]

texashatman

Familiar Face
Garland is actually a few hundred miles away. I have access to a great hat shop (2 or 3 actually) that carry just about everything under the sun. I just was wondering about the quality of these newer hats. I don't want to dump the money into something that's just no good but like I say it's a time frame thing right now.

Duper

Practically Family
Could someone point me at a thread where they explain the process of changing a ribbon. I know I have seen one with pictures and or video about it, but it eludes my searches today. Thanks!

texashatman said:
What's the best new fedora style hat in the $120-$140 range? .... I went to a store near my house and they have a nice looking Stetson Temple Soveriegn in Caribou that I like but I don't see much written about the new hats.

There are some good anecdotal stories about the Stetson Temple on here. I have a Pinnacle & waiting on a Sovereign quality Roadmaster to be delivered. I think the Temple is a nice model as well what I've read about the Nostalgia. I like the Caribou color too & if I hadn't gotten the deal I did on a black Pinnacle, Caribou is the shade I would've gone with.

texashatman

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
There are some good anecdotal stories about the Stetson Temple on here. I have a Pinnacle & waiting on a Sovereign quality Roadmaster to be delivered. I think the Temple is a nice model as well what I've read about the Nostalgia. I like the Caribou color too & if I hadn't gotten the deal I did on a black Pinnacle, Caribou is the shade I would've gone with.

Thanks gtdean, I thought it looked like a decent quality hat I just didn't like the smudged stamping on the inner band of the hat stores name. That kind of flagged it for me to look into it a little more before I bought it. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. He's actually got it cheaper in the shop than what it's going for online.

texashatman said:
Thanks gtdean, I thought it looked like a decent quality hat I just didn't like the smudged stamping on the inner band of the hat stores name. That kind of flagged it for me to look into it a little more before I bought it. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. He's actually got it cheaper in the shop than what it's going for online.
Anytime Bill. It sounds like the shop needs to take more time doing their stamping of the sweatband or just stop altogether!

texashatman

Familiar Face
Well I went ahead and bought the Temple and I really like it. Comparing the felt on this with some of my western hats I find it to be pretty nice. This will be my fall/winter hat from now on. Thanks for the help on the decision.

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks zetwal, I now have a small surgery to do on a brown Stetson Pinnacle. I am going to turn it into a more thin ribbon model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk