Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
I have had a long standing arguement with myself on whether or not manufacturers of hats perferated sweat bands at the factory or was this a store offered service only? I have my opinion lets read yours.
This won't help much, but I imagine both;some factories and some stores. There are certainly some "summer" hats with very professional perforations and embossing placed in locations that seem original and unperferated.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
I have had a long standing arguement with myself on whether or not manufacturers of hats perferated sweat bands at the factory or was this a store offered service only? I have my opinion lets read yours.

I'm going with 'at the factory', based on the Borsalinos I've seen (e.g - both Mascotte models I've seen have the same exact perforations, but from different stores), but I am sure that some stores had the ability to add features like this.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Good link. I had forgotten about that thread. I have no theory on the perforations, as I have no hats with that feature and have never considered it. I am the Switzerland of perforation origin. Dobbs must have croc-ed this sweat, as the gold embossing sits nicely on top.
dobbs15twotonecrocsweat1.jpg

from this two-tone (not mine)
dobbs15twotonecrocsweat.jpg

I heart the help desk.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
....Dobbs must have croc-ed this sweat, as the gold embossing sits nicely on top.
I heart the help desk.

Wow! Now that's a nice try a really good idea - a real crock sweat band! I wonder where a guy could go for one of those :deadhorse?

I suppose the curmudgeonly types could settle for Gator ;).

I can hear Mr. Fawcett now, "You have what? You want me to do what?"

CRH

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:

Holes in sweat, holes in felt and covered by ribbon. I vote factory.

I'd wear it............

if I were gett'in chased out of Missouri - but I'd pop the crown out as soon as I was safe in Kansas

so's I wouldn't look suspicious

;) :D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
Holes in sweat, holes in felt and covered by ribbon. I vote factory.

That one is for sure "factory" -- given that, according to the sweat, it is being marketed as a "ventilated" lid. Looks like the kind of ventilated lid featured here. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

jpbales

Practically Family
Buffalo Felt

I saw some Stetson hats that were made out of Buffalo felt. Not that I'm planning on getting one, but I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with buffalo felt and how it compares to rabbit and beaver. Thanks

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jpbales said:
I saw some Stetson hats that were made out of Buffalo felt. Not that I'm planning on getting one, but I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with buffalo felt and how it compares to rabbit and beaver. Thanks

I'm curious too. Theoretically any old animal hair could be used for felting.

Check out this article AaronHats Blog.

"The Buffalo fur is better than wool but still not quite as nice as the beaver and rabbit fur hats." [huh]

No mention of how the Kangaroo felt measures up. I'll let Lefty handle that one :eusa_doh: .

jpbales

Practically Family
I handled the Buffalo felt for a minute and it felt just like any other... felt... I've held [huh] There's the possibility that it's mixed in with rabbit fur as well, I suppose. Great article post, by the way!

CRH said:
I'm curious too. Theoretically any old animal hair could be used for felting.

Check out this article AaronHats Blog.

"The Buffalo fur is better than wool but still not quite as nice as the beaver and rabbit fur hats." [huh]

No mention of how the Kangaroo felt measures up. I'll let Lefty handle that one :eusa_doh: .

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for a thread, or just a photo of a work hat - probably canvas or somthing like it - with seams that run up the sides and around the top of the crown. RBH may have posted something along these lines, but I don't remember where I've seen it/them. I associate them with dust bowl workers, but that might be way off-base.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Is there a recommended way to clean the weird brownish goo collected on the plastic liner of an old hat? Presumably some dapper gent's hair product....
Or is it best to just remove the plastic?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Not a hat question...

...but it seems stupid to start a new thread. Can a mid-grey suit be worn for social occaisions (taking people to dinner or such like) or is such a suit for business only? I know navy is a good colour for such occaisions but since my school uniform is a navy suit I'm rather put off the idea of wearing one out of the school environment, and I'm tired of always wearing black pinstriped or light blue, so I'm wondering if grey isn't too businesslike.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
...but it seems stupid to start a new thread. Can a mid-grey suit be worn for social occaisions (taking people to dinner or such like) or is such a suit for business only? I know navy is a good colour for such occaisions but since my school uniform is a navy suit I'm rather put off the idea of wearing one out of the school environment, and I'm tired of always wearing black pinstriped or light blue, so I'm wondering if grey isn't too businesslike.

A grey suit is great for almost everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko