Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panadora

Practically Family
Someone sold me his dad's best hat - It came like this :D
IMG_2476.jpg

I could be wrong but I don't think any of those hats are any older than the 1960s.... most of them probably being later than that

not a whole lot of value there ... if your father in law loved them your mother in law may just be better off keeping them

their sentimental value may be substantially more then their monetary worth

my theory is ... a hat is only worth what it is worth to YOU

Right there, in a nutshell. Maybe not a monetary treasure trove, but a load of sentimental value.

mtchel

New in Town
Are any of them close to a size you could occasionally wear?

I'm a middle-aged woman and can't pull them off. :) They're too small for my hubby. Both my father-in-law and my late father loved hats, and I loved them AND their love of hats. Hopefully these will find their way to someone who appreciates them. Thanks again everyone. You have been a great help.

If only one size too small, you have a good chance of expanding them on your own with a "Hat Jack." More expansion than that can be accomplished by a hatter, but may require some new parts.

Snortman45

Familiar Face
Since this is a question and reply thread, I hope it's all right to ask this question here. I happened to see some hats in Macy's today and decided to try these on, even though the color wasn't quite what I am looking for.

2dbd4d145c2989b9e6a56f4c1b96406f.jpg

Or

5e3be9e1966f8ff987134b5334aa308b.jpg

Personally I think the wider brim looks better with my facial shape. Opinions?

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Snortman45

Familiar Face
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Is 40-60 dollars a decent price for a wool felt fedora? That one is 60, the brand is Country Gentleman, probably Macy's brand.

Different looks, to be sure, but we tend to prefer the wider brims around here. In your case, wider's a hands-down winner. The stingy eludes a MUCH more casual, more playful look. The wider gives you more a look of good fashion and solid authority. But that's just one guy's opinion.

A hat is worth what you're willing to pay. As a woolie, it won't be as durable as a fur felt, but it does get you to the price point where you're happy. Try it!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Is 40-60 dollars a decent price for a wool felt fedora? That one is 60, the brand is Country Gentleman, probably Macy's brand.

Welcome. I believe for a bit more $$$ you can find a Fedora in the color you like made of fur felt. Shop around online. Village hats has some decent inexpensive fur felts branded "Jaxon" their house brand.

Right you are, Bobby R. Although as a rookie to hats, the benefit of trying on a variety at a retail store is essential. That's what almost every newbie to hats really needs in order to arrive at the best proportions for their individual mug and body shape, etc. And then, the preferences change...

Snortman45

Familiar Face
A couple of the local department stores and a western wear store are about the only local stores, but there is a hat shop about 90 minutes away that I may go check out on a weekend sometime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto