Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
My great grandfather was a tailor and taught my dad a great little trick, that my dad taught me: Potato starch and naphtha (or any other highly refined petrol/gas). Corn starch can be used instead of potato starch.

You drip a little naphtha on the spot and lay a small pile of starch on top. After a little while the spot has been sucked up by the starch - and you can brush of the starch.

You can also mix the starch and naphtha and place a good spoonful on the spot - let it dry - brush it off.

You may need to repeat the process a couple of times, but usually it's very efficient - especially with fatty spots :)

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I've only seen the Orange , and they come two to a pack ! I had some and lost them , bought two packs last time (4 Hat Sponges total) just incase . Don't wet the sponges , use them dry .

Same deal as Hat Brushes , but over time you'll notice the dark Hat sponge being darker , vacuum to clean . Good idea to use a marked zip baggie to identify , though , especially in the beginning . That cleaning powder lifts some stuff , or keeps it from going deeper . But I bought a New Stetson , first time I brushed it powder flew and it had a few spots on the back underside of the brim from the factory ! Get some dark and light Hat cleaning spray (2 cans , 1 dark , 1 light) Scout makes it , plus I think they sell both in a kit with a little brush , too . Mike (monteville-cowboy) on FL has One 2 mini Ranch (ONE2miniranch.com) and he sells it , along with everyone else . But he's really nice . Chili or spaghetti sauce , etc , better put a pile of cornmeal on the stain and let it sit ASAP (I think there's something else you can use ? Can't remember) Might be cornstarch , better check first . ... Good Luck Bob !

You can wash a hat sponge with dish soap and warm water make it suds up by mushing it with the dish soap right on a wet sponge and then rinsing it under the running water and squeeze out until you have all the dirt and soap out. I have hat sponges ten years old that I still use on all our hats here, just clean them after use and then let them dry out.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
My great grandfather was a tailor and taught my dad a great little trick, that my dad taught me: Potato starch and naphtha (or any other highly refined petrol/gas). Corn starch can used instead of potato starch.

You drip a little naphtha on the spot and lay a small pile of starch on top. After a little while the spot has been sucked up by the starch - and you can brush of the starch.

You can also mix the starch and naphtha and place a good spoonful on the spot - let it dry - brush it off.

You may need to repeat the process a couple of times, but usually it's very efficient - especially with fatty spots :)

Naphtha is the same thing as Zippo lighter fluid, in case someone want to try using a small amount of it on a hat to apply it and see how it works cleaning the felt.

I have used a liquid spot remover on suede shoes and hats that I think on a small spot works much better, it is the brand name "Dyo Spot Remover" and I love it for small stains on anything. I would use that over Naphtha for a small stain. BUT if a hat is really getting on the bad side, I think the old soaking in a bucket with Naphtha may be the only real solution.

DanO

One of the Regulars
Years ago I found a place on the web where I bought some grosgrain hat bands they were not the finest in the world but will work for what I want.They came in widths 7/8,1.5,etc. , had a simple doubled up bow with a stitched loop in the middle as a retainer. For the life of me I cannot find the ones I bought or the site I bought from them from. Anyone got any ideas?

Years ago I found a place on the web where I bought some grosgrain hat bands they were not the finest in the world but will work for what I want.They came in widths 7/8,1.5,etc. , had a simple doubled up bow with a stitched loop in the middle as a retainer. For the life of me I cannot find the ones I bought or the site I bought from them from. Anyone got any ideas?
Try ETSY there are a number of vendors with vintage ribbon for milliners

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Got a couple of pics of this Camp Draft that was supposed to be a fat crown with little or no taper. In your opinions does this appears to be anything special? Gotta decide fast before the EA sale ends.
IMG_0534.jpg
IMG_0533.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg
To me it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. Thanks!

RJR

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Got a couple of pics of this Camp Draft that was supposed to be a fat crown with little or no taper. In your opinions does this appears to be anything special? Gotta decide fast before the EA sale ends. View attachment 50417 View attachment 50419 View attachment 50420 To me it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. Thanks!
Looks like a Taupe Camp Draft , like the rest , but I guess they might see a difference . A regular joe might think he does , if not used to seeing one .

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Looks good to me, Robert. Order it - order like the wind!

My BGGCD shipped last night.

View attachment 50423
Oh Boy!
Hahahahahaha. Hard to beat the price but I don't really want another Camp Draft or another brown hat unless of course it happened to be a particularly high, fat crowned and straight sided CD. Actually the crown height appears a bit shorter than my other two were when shipped open crown.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hahahahahaha. Hard to beat the price but I don't really want another Camp Draft or another brown hat unless of course it happened to be a particularly high, fat crowned and straight sided CD. Actually the crown height appears a bit shorter than my other two were when shipped open crown.

Optical Allusion , Mirage . Its the same . Photos lie . Plus that thing it's sitting on makes it look different . Taupe is greenish , kind of , Remember Robert at Bencraft told me . He was RIGHT ! Greenish Fawn compared to Blueish Green . A lady told me Taupe goes with almost anything . ... maybe ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ