Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
NEW QUESTION:
I am sure this has been asked before, but being relatively new to the this site and maybe I don't really understand how to use the "search" tool, (As I am definitely technology challenged), I was wondering if there is a spot/forum where we might find and/or post a hat "For Sale", prior to posting it somewhere else (like Ebay or Esty, or some other site) ? ? ?

Is there a special "forum" or which forum is most used for this?

Thanks.

The Classifieds. It's down at the bottom of the list of forums.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Talk about "character!" Great lid, Michael. I'm only guessing, but maybe a teeny, tiny touch of glue here and there would stabilize the top? Or, I have also seen successful (near invisible) needle and thread mending done on an old Milan weave hat. Or do you know any basket weavers? Good luck on this worthwhile project, and please let us see the results!

Thanks Charlie and Alan for the advice. I found I had a bottle of Fabri-Tac, but it had dried out, so I need to pick up another one. In the meantime I stuck the lid down enough to try a picture pr twp with a couple of drops of super glue.
P1180460 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

The crown is about a quarter inch shorter than the one on my other boater. There is also a tulle sort of fabric liner which I'm guessing rests on the head. It was set almost a half inch below the lid, so it seems this hat would have been worn high. I have to replace the tulle bit and do a couple of other things on the inside. Brushing removed a lot of dust and dirt from both the hat and the band. I'm still considering what I should do there. I'm debating a coat of shellac or varnish after the clean up and repairs are finished.
P1180463 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1180467 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1180470 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1180471 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

So I'm feeling somewhat confident that I can recover this to wearable condition. Further hints or thoughts will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Epemethius

New in Town
Can this brim be shaped with more of a snap? Maybe a broader band? It is a Dobbs Westward and I would like it to look a bit more city-fied. If not, I will go with the shape.

This will be my 3rd Dobbs, one formal, one beat-up Hunter for working outside, and now this. They feel luxurious and much more affordable than the Stetson name.

upload_2016-5-30_9-10-14.png

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Can this brim be shaped with more of a snap? Maybe a broader band? It is a Dobbs Westward and I would like it to look a bit more city-fied. If not, I will go with the shape.

This will be my 3rd Dobbs, one formal, one beat-up Hunter for working outside, and now this. They feel luxurious and much more affordable than the Stetson name.

View attachment 50721

you can work the brim however you like on a Westward

I personally would hate to see wide ribbon put on this beautiful hat ... a Westward is a very desirable and well made piece and should be left as is I think

why not just buy a wide ribbon hat if that is what you want

very nice hat you are about to receive

my dark brown westward is one of my absolute favorites

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 50721
I'm not quite sure, what you mean with "more snap". To me it looks like the brim has lots of snap.

I'm also not sure, what you mean with "city-fied". The brim binding and crown ribbon are clones of the Stetson Stratoliner. A model, marketed as the hat for the modern city-slicker, who flew from one location to the other. A thin ribbon is not a red-neck-only feature. They were indeed also used for city hats ... both in the US and in Europe :)

RJR

you can work the brim however you like on a Westward

I personally would hate to see wide ribbon put on this beautiful hat ... a Westward is a very desirable and well made piece and should be left as is I think

why not just buy a wide ribbon hat if that is what you want

very nice hat you are about to receive

my dark brown westward is one of my absolute favorites
+1

Epemethius

New in Town
Thank you, good info. I will wear it for a while and see how it grows on me. The few hats I've gotten have felt *right* after a while with no modifications.

The Stratoliner is elegant and the Dobbs resembles it, difficult tell from small auction photos.

I'm not quite sure, what you mean with "more snap". To me it looks like the brim has lots of snap.

I'm also not sure, what you mean with "city-fied". The brim binding and crown ribbon are clones of the Stetson Stratoliner. A model, marketed as the hat for the modern city-slicker, who flew from one location to the other. A thin ribbon is not a red-neck-only feature. They were indeed also used for city hats ... both in the US and in Europe :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
My Strats and diamond-creased ORs have been the target of quite a few compliments in the streets of Copenhagen - and there are absolutely no cowboys, cows or horses around! I even remember a thin ribbon in my dad's possession back in the late 50s ;)

Ooops ...! And a belated happy birthday, Charlie. I managed to forget you now again. Sorry :)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 50721

Looks Perfect to me . I would Sport it Proudly !

Perhaps I shall start wearing bolo ties and snap-pocket shirts.

Yeah , And become COOL !!! Start a Fashion Blitz in your area ! A Trend Setter ! The Hipsters will follow , and you'll be The Man ! Coolest Teach in town .

Epemethius

New in Town
Account at Walkers? That would be fun. There are a few Western clothes and tack shops in MA. I have liked the Western style shirts and bolo ties ever since I was a kid. As a rockhound I would glue the latest interesting specimen to the bolo clip.

The Dobbs Westward arrived and you are right, it looks fine just as it is. It needs a little TLC the ribbon and felt is a bit stained and mis-shaped from storage. The forum provided gentle cleaning and shaping information.

It has a few moth nips. Like show Terriers, "honorable scars shall not cause points to be detracted".

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
FUR OR WOOL?

OLD LL BEAN'er SB, bound brim, thin ribbon ...

It sure looks like fur to me . LLBean has sold Stetson made Hats for the years I've known about in the past , but it looks like fur , and LLBean was a stickler on quality . If it was a Bucket , or a Storm Cap (Always Wool) , but a nice looking thin Ribbon ... , and trimmed , also . I vote Fur Felt , but it looks fairly modern to me . You could probably call LLBean and ask , they're nice and always helpful , someone would know there in Freeport , even if they might have to get a message to them with what info you have , and them get back to you .

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
FUR OR WOOL?

OLD LL BEAN'er SB, bound brim, thin ribbon ...
There's an L.L. Bean on the Bay at the moment. It's listed as a "Women's Fedora", which is pretty well in line with the Petersham hatband, right-sided bow and grosgrain sweatband. Anyway, it sports this crown stamp:
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(21).jpg

It seems like L.L. Bean indeed made wool hats - but that they announced it, when doing so(?) :)

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
I just got this hat and am wondering about how to proceed. It is solid as a rock and actually has a crack in the brim. Im assuming it has been hanging in a work shop for the last 20+ years. Is there any chance of rejuvenating the felt? I like the character and would love to see it in use again. The seller offered me half of my total purchase back with me keeping the hat or a full refund of my original purchase and shipping upon sending it back at my cost.

f13dcec9d21f67dfe53a1b06cf16a6b9.jpg

3866b7bedca49c5e49804edf70881a47.jpg

a12f61d6191c119140b41dc3105c91d6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I've got a question ... . I heard if you clicked Leave , your shipping insurance from Australia was void , but I received an email from EA saying my Hat had shipped , but no tracking number . I know customs can do crazy things and hold up the process , but with normal international post , it comes by USPS to your house , Right ? Do you get any heads up before it arrives ? This is my first order from Sam at EA , and I was wondering . ... told my mail girl just leave it if I'm not here (I live in the country , no one around) ... . It's surely going to be here this week , surely .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk