Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emigran

Practically Family
You're Welcome ! I saw that Hat , like the Coyote . If I was describing a Pork Pie , I'd say a Telescope , normally low , with a very tight crease around the rim of the flat top , but I figured you wanted history . yada yada yada , but I always think of Buster Keaton .

Yup Buster sure was known for his iconic one... to me, his was a costume prop created for his characters...like Chaplan's outfits. My thoughts about porkpies were always cool cat jazz guys and forward...FL Rocks... I learn something everyday...

stephena310

One of the Regulars
So in my/our individual quests to acquire the "golden ring" of "hats", I am wondering what the heck that could be.....?
By this, what I mean, in light of what appears to be the "nonexistence" of vintage hat company product catalogs, I am wondering if any of the real experts and collectors out there can share with me (and I bet many others), which are or were the "top of the line" hats offered by each manufacturer?

Example: Which are the top of the line model numbers for Stetson?.....For Dunlap.....For Knox.....For Stephen L. Stetson, Disney and Dobbs????

Which are the most "coveted" models one could hope to find???

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
One Hat to one guy is The Prize , but the same Hat to another isn't . Style , and Quality are two important factors . My idea of the Greatest ever , and your's would probably not be the same . Plus the Greats that made these Hats are long gone , as beauty is in the eye of the beholder , the same applies . The really old Hats had mercury used in the construction , the fur blends , the few examples that remain are sought by collectors , and wearers alike . The guys running the companies now don't know , and don't even care . If you look for info , more than likely you be pointed back to the Fedora Lounge , or maybe a blogger/collector .

stephena310

One of the Regulars
One Hat to one guy is The Prize , but the same Hat to another isn't . Style , and Quality are two important factors . My idea of the Greatest ever , and your's would probably not be the same . Plus the Greats that made these Hats are long gone , as beauty is in the eye of the beholder , the same applies . The really old Hats had mercury used in the construction , the fur blends , the few examples that remain are sought by collectors , and wearers alike . The guys running the companies now don't know , and don't even care . If you look for info , more than likely you be pointed back to the Fedora Lounge , or maybe a blogger/collector .
I agree with you Michael, about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", however, what I am looking for is the creation of a list of names of models and how they "rated" by the company that made/sold them, back in the day...

Example: What were the highest quality models that Knox ever made and "why"? - This is how we newbies learn !

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Like a vintage Stetson 100 , I know I've seen several Dobbs that I considered Great , also . There are Threads on here that you can see examples of Superb Hats , and the guys here that acquired them . Some may have gotten them for a song , while others made deals , and most paid out the nose , I imagine . But the tiny heads get the best breaks , larger sizes are more rare , but occasionally pop up . ... if you're 7 1/4 and down you have a better shot . But I'm amazed by the Hats guys have found in my size (7 3/8). ... sometimes you think you found a treasure at a reasonable price , and someone comes along wanting it a whole lot more (probably a collector) .

I'd go to the Threads , you'll see them . But if you watch "What Hat are You Wearing Today ?" they'll come up from time to time . Show Pieces .

I will say sometimes guys will have an incredible Hat for years , and just decide its time for someone else to enjoy it . Or another dream Hat came along {New to Them} .

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
So in my/our individual quests to acquire the "golden ring" of "hats", I am wondering what the heck that could be.....?
By this, what I mean, in light of what appears to be the "nonexistence" of vintage hat company product catalogs, I am wondering if any of the real experts and collectors out there can share with me (and I bet many others), which are or were the "top of the line" hats offered by each manufacturer?

Example: Which are the top of the line model numbers for Stetson?.....For Dunlap.....For Knox.....For Stephen L. Stetson, Disney and Dobbs????

Which are the most "coveted" models one could hope to find???

That would be a cool list to know. Only one I know are like Stetson 100 and 25. That's the rating of the X's on it I think! I'm new here too. Haha. But it would be nice to know what models were the top of the line back then.

I'm really interested in the Dobbs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephena310

One of the Regulars
That would be a cool list to know. Only one I know are like Stetson 100 and 25. That's the rating of the X's on it I think! I'm new here too. Haha. But it would be nice to know what models were the top of the line back then.

I'm really interested in the Dobbs too.

Exactly my thoughts ! Maybe all the real experienced guys here can all chime in ???

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's easy for the 1950s and 1960s for the Hat Corporation of America brands of Dobbs, Knox, and Cavanagh: the One-Hundred was the top-of-the-line. Then the Fifty, the Twenty, and Fifteen. At and below that were dozens, if not hundreds, of lower-tier and middle-tier models. From the '40s on back it's more difficult figure out, as you have to look at decades' worth of newspaper and magazine ads to log model names and prices. Even assuming a conservative estimate of a dozen new hat models a season, you're looking at almost 500 different models over the span of a decade. You can figure out the pricing tiers once you've sampled enough data, but model names are a nightmare to track down unless you know what hat it is. Most hats never had their model name anywhere on the actual hat, making it extremely difficult to identify a model of a physical specimen.

RHE Hatco in Garland, TX, makes Dobbs hats today. It might be easiest to just call the Stetson outlet store.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Brad ! I was hoping you'd get the Info .

I saw a Gorgeous vintage Dobbs Hommie go for $56 with box 7 1/4 , I couldn't believe it . Wider Brim version , too . Looked like a @mmbarnes Matt special .

Not sure if it still goes , but I think Stetson would fix up any Hat 15X and above .

Momus

New in Town
From the photo it just looks like a wide brimmed, 3" I'd say, open crowned fedora.
Ah, brilliant.

From looking elsewhere on the net that seems to be the one. I had originally just been looking at fedoras but none came up in that style.

I believe your photo Momus, was taken on the set of 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' ......in which case this may be the same hat, different lighting, different hat.....still a fedora though.

I think the photo was from the set of the Man Who Fell to Earth. I wasn't sure if these are all the same hat. I guess they are...

pvbsuw08vgex5qvxxtpb.jpg

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
So I've got a really big newb question. This answer is on here already, but would like clarification.

You brush the top of the hat counter-clockwise. And I've read on here you brush the underside Clockwise.

But I watch a video where a hat maker brushes both sides counter-clockwise.

So which is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ