Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

The "stain" or discoloration is actually darker then what these pictures show...and if you did not know better you would think the hat was just wet there....
Just a thought. A hat that light should be easy to dye any colour you want. Solve the spot problem pretty quick.
Johnny

Bigger Don

Practically Family
How do you justify charging £821.61 for this hat?
Price is a product of demand.
More to the point, who would pay such a price?
My guess is there is some demand in some circles with mucho dinero who want the "MM" on their stuff as a status thing. Here's Maison Michel's catalogue. IMO, there are some truly inane-to-hideous items in there.
530€
upload_2016-10-22_20-40-29.png

680€
upload_2016-10-22_20-43-6.png

350€
upload_2016-10-22_20-44-49.png

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Price is a product of demand.
My guess is there is some demand in some circles with mucho dinero who want the "MM" on their stuff as a status thing. Here's Maison Michel's catalogue. IMO, there are some truly inane-to-hideous items in there.
530€ View attachment 58740
680€ View attachment 58741
350€ View attachment 58744
Oh HO! NOW I see...those are the famous missing Elmer Fudd hats! How else can anyone justify those prices! Perhaps for this next spring, that Maison Michel's will feature the hats from the 7 dwarfs! HA! Miner's Hat anyone? ( Yes I know don't give him any ideas)!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Just a thought. A hat that light should be easy to dye any colour you want. Solve the spot problem pretty quick.
Johnny
Well true but this hat was so super nice. I am just so shocked as to this happening! Most Resistols we have had we have liked even more than similar year Stetsons. No one issue like this on any hat. And I would not relish putting a ton of money into the hat as it was not a cheap purchase, a bit more than $200.00 I think with the shipping involved. I've not actually attempted to sprinkle something like baby powder on it and let it sit to see what happens. Perhaps it is some sort of an oil in the felt? The DYO cleaner I used on it, is actually much stronger than Lighter Fluid, (Naptha), and this is the very first time it did not take out a stain! The DYO cleaning solution can almost make a dollar bill be all flat white it you leave it on for a few hours, it is that strong. I really think if I left it on the hat for a day or so it might even melt a hole in the felt.

My luck if I did want to spend more on the hat as to having it dyed a different color, what is to say the stain would not just pop right up still on this one? The seller that sold me the hat is horrifed, but I cannot blame them. It was not there on the hat until I brushed it. New hat brush that was very clean and dry and the light color brush. New hat sponges also. I even used a slight amount of hand soap on a slightly wet wash cloth. Every trick in my arsenal of dealing with stains..and like a bad penny that stain is there. I don't know maybe it is actually a blemish in the felt itself? BUT thanks for the suggestion about having the hat dyed....

"So what did you do this week new"? "OH not much...my hat got dyed, how about you"???? Hahah...

EstherWeis

Vendor
Oh HO! NOW I see...those are the famous missing Elmer Fudd hats! How else can anyone justify those prices! Perhaps for this next spring, that Maison Michel's will feature the hats from the 7 dwarfs! HA! Miner's Hat anyone? ( Yes I know don't give him any ideas)!

Ugh, they started out with some nice looking two tone felt hats.
But sheesh ever since they where bought up be the chanel group they have been making uglier and uglier things.

It's sad, cause they had a very nice looking store in the beginning.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Ugh, they started out with some nice looking two tone felt hats.
But sheesh ever since they where bought up be the chanel group they have been making uglier and uglier things.

It's sad, cause they had a very nice looking store in the beginning.

GREED got to them! Some greedy lil devils! Haha!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I too believe, those prices are outrageous - but then again! When I buy a bottle of plain non-fizzy drinking water from a Danish company, I buy nothing but an ultra cheap plast bottle of plain Danish tap water. If it's fizzy, it's probably made by a company, that also brews beer - and then the added CO2 is a compressed waste product from the beer production. If it's a soda pop with taste, the taste comes from a few drops of cheap chemistry.

A bag of potato chips is made from a few potatoes, cooked in some oil, that is used over and over - and then added a little salt. One pound of corn and a few spoonfuls of oil and a small amount of salt will make up more than 4 gallons of popcorn. Bacon crisps are mostly air and cracklings is a waste product ("bi-product" is a nicer word for the same) from the meat industry. You can continue with most crisps and bagged snacks.

In the more exotic end, you can buy a can of compressed air(!) for dusting off optics and other video/camera/darkroom gear - and it's actually quite expensive. The list is endless!

Each of the mentioned items won't cost us a lot per unit (except for the air-can), so we don't really realize what we (don't) get for the money. At the end of the day, we all spend a loads of money, buying extremely cheap stuff. And most of the time we smile without thinking about our actions ;)

How do you justify charging £821.61 for this hat? More to the point, who would pay such a price?

It's fashion for heaven's sake. There are those with a passion for fashion who love clothes with all their pocketbook. These styles are mostly not my cup of tea, though I do rather love the brimmed hat with the zipper down the middle. I sometimes wonder to myself why anyone would be inspired to spend 5 dollars for an Akubra hat. But I'm not going to say that here. It's a wonderful world with all kinds of folks who find value in all kinds of different things.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It's fashion for heaven's sake. There are those with a passion for fashion who love clothes with all their pocketbook. These styles are mostly not my cup of tea, though I do rather love the brimmed hat with the zipper down the middle. I sometimes wonder to myself why anyone would be inspired to spend 5 dollars for an Akubra hat. But I'm not going to say that here. It's a wonderful world with all kinds of folks who find value in all kinds of different things.
I'm about to jump on this one right now ... worth it ? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-V...185261?hash=item1eb9adaaad:g:S7AAAOSwmLlX-UKe

Jacqueline

New in Town
Happy to join the forum!!

So, my husband recently inherited this hat from his late father - and while this forum has been very helpful, I'm still a bit lost. I've learned a lot in the past few weeks, however! I understand the relationship with Biltmore and Miller and the history they've had. I believe I understand this hat to be a homburg fedora. My husband thought it was made of beaver fur, yet there isn't any markings to confirm this. The fur is quite thick and super soft. I've seen other people say they've owned or own a Miller/Biltmore, yet I've not really seen any pictures similar to what I've got (they always say Biltmore, without the Miller). Can anyone give me their opinion about this?
And thanks - I love your forum and I've gotta say, everyone here appears to be so nice and informative!

P.S. Don't be thrown off by my awesome pictures lol - I do this for a living :)

WP_20161027_13_21_50_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20161027_13_24_56_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20161027_13_16_35_Raw__highres.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20161027_13_16_35_Raw__highres.jpg
    WP_20161027_13_16_35_Raw__highres.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 82

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone give me their opinion about this?
I wouldn't call it a Homburg, but a fedora with a curled brim. It's impossible to say anything about felt content from a picture, but I would guess that it's primary content is hare - which is better suited for longhair finishes than beaver. That's my two cents, but others will probably chime in with their views :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk