Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
@M Hatman - darn you! Darn you all to heck! Now I've spent this morning looking over the "Stetson Stuff" and "Stetson Crest Dating" threads, killing my productivity! You and your #$&!!@ pin.This site, I tells ya, it'll eat you alive...
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):);););)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
YES...........this site is not recomended IF you want to get work done........and It WILL eat you alive......and people complain about FaceBook..........what do THEY really know?????
Cheers,
M

Belive
How would you recommend cleaning a hat brush? My light colored one is looking a bit grubby after brushing a few too many dirty old hats.
Belive it or not.....Horse hair cleans up great........shampoo....warm water.........cold water rinse.....rinse thoroughly....squeeze the water out with a terrycloth towel and then hang dry.....
M

Thanks so much M. My Google-Fu was not kicking up any specifics on cleaning the brush.
You Bet......these brushes can last for years....... Eventually the wood handle will look a little bleached out from exposure to the water but this in no way effects the brush hair and is only cosmetic. First few cleanings will not even effect the handle.....
If you have stubborn oil or grease in the brush use 70-90 rubbing alcohol to break it down. The Alcohol will almost immediately effect the handle finish appearance but is VERY effective in getting out the oil/grease.
Cheers,
M
PS This all works on any color horsehair brush.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
ca66718ff11bb4fddf3fc2fa438a6e9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

NoSkinnyJeans

New in Town
Received my Akubra Stylemaster and Bogart today. Both are the same size, or at least the sizing tag claims they are. The Stylemaster is much tighter than the bogart. Has anyone else eperienced this from Akubra?

homesicksteve

Familiar Face
Received my Akubra Stylemaster and Bogart today. Both are the same size, or at least the sizing tag claims they are. The Stylemaster is much tighter than the bogart. Has anyone else eperienced this from Akubra?

Yes, exactly that, both 60's.
A bit of steam and a bit of hat-jack made the stylemaker perfect.

Edit : I put a bit of conditioner on the leather sweat too...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
every Akubra I have is a different size ... some showed up 2 or 3 sizes larger than tagged.
they should shrink a touch if you wear them
Akubra is the absolute most inconsistent maker of hats of all makers that I am aware of.
the felt is inconsistent ... the sizing is wildly inconsistent... the quality is inconsistent.
they are fine hats for the price ... that's all I'll say about that

Yep. I have three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts, all size 60. The Feds all fit the same, and the Campdrafts all fit the same, but the Campdrafts felt about 1/2 size smaller than the Feds until I stretched them out a bit with my hat jack. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--sizing appears to be more "art" than "science" at Akubra.

So, if it fits too tight, is it best to fight with it or send it back?
If it fits too tight out of the box, you need to send it back for a larger size. Akubra's sweatbands shrink and conform to your head as you wear them (and sweat in them) for the first several days; this is to be expected, so a new Akubra should be slightly oversized. If it's too tight new it will definitely be too tight after the sweatband shrinks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto