Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Snapping The Brim Question.

With fur-felt I've followed advice found here in the Lounge & snapped the brim down when wearing,
and back up to put on a hat stand.
Should I do the same with a Panama ? or will the daily up/down weaken the straw ?

Many thanks.
I don't have a proper answer for you, but on the one straw hat I own I leave the brim snapped down just to lessen the chance of weakening/damaging the straw. But I leave my fur felts snapped down as well, so I might not be the person you want to listen to. ;)

Yun_bw

New in Town
Hi,

I'm have been narrowing down my section in these days and I'm down to 3 section. Biltmore Casablanca Panama hat ($104) sweatband from village hat shop, Capas brogart Panama hat from Northwest hat ($105) but cotton sweatband, or sunbody fedora ($50 worrying I might fail shaping what I want)? Which one will be the best for the price?

Thank you

I like my Capas Panama from Mike at NW Hats. For just a few dollars more you can have him make you a custom straw from his stock of Ecuador bodies. Of course this is not immediate gratification, you will have to wait for him to build it. I have looked at the Sunbody thread and am very impressed.

Yun_bw

New in Town
I like my Capas Panama from Mike at NW Hats. For just a few dollars more you can have him make you a custom straw from his stock of Ecuador bodies. Of course this is not immediate gratification, you will have to wait for him to build it. I have looked at the Sunbody thread and am very impressed.
How long does it take him to build it? Also, how much extra do I have to pay for a custom straw hats? What's your thought on biltmore? Thanks!

How long does it take him to build it? Also, how much extra do I have to pay for a custom straw hats? What's your thought on biltmore? Thanks!
I think Mike is at a 6 week or so turn around. You will have to ask him. The Panama he made for me was $135 and is one of the best fitting customs I have. I've only seen photos of Biltmores on the lounge. You might also look for a vintage straw on Ebay. Depending on your size, they are in season now and plentiful. Look for an older Milan weave.

Reactions: RJR

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Not until it is safely in my hands! ;-)
Okay. Met with the nice gentleman this evening before work and acquired it for $20. I'll post pictures tomorrow in good light. I cannot stress enough that the hat is mint condition. No blemishes observed. No moth bites. Even the sweat is in good condition. It wasn't worn much by the looks of it. :)

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Okay. Regarding the Dobbs Jet I mentioned above, the store name "Baskin" is in the band. If I can narrow down the time frame that this store was closed then I could find out a ball park of what time frame my vintage could be. Any help would be appreciated.

EinarsM

Vendor
Hi, hope this is the right place to ask, apologise if not. What is the material around the reed of a fedora sweatband? Is it buckram ribbon material?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Okay. Regarding the Dobbs Jet I mentioned above, the store name "Baskin" is in the band. If I can narrow down the time frame that this store was closed then I could find out a ball park of what time frame my vintage could be. Any help would be appreciated.
if I remember correctly the Baskin name was changed to Shale Baskin in the 1970s then to Mark Shale pretty soon after ... but I am pretty sure they used the "Baskin" label on items into maybe the 90s ?

they ultimately closed in 2012

I'd have to do some research to say for sure ... but that is just from memory of things posted here

if I remember correctly the Baskin name was changed to Shale Baskin in the 1970s then to Mark Shale pretty soon after ... but I am pretty sure they used the "Baskin" label on items into maybe the 90s ?

they ultimately closed in 2012

I'd have to do some research to say for sure ... but that is just from memory of things posted here
+1 I think you are right on.

I picked up a Biltmore straw on Ebay for my wife. It was a decent hat for the much reduced price (Half Priced Pauly was the seller). I don't think I would have been as pleased if I paid full retail as one of Mike's NW Hat's panama hats offer better value. I would say Biltmore is a decent hat only if you can pick one up on a sale. I have a Dobbs Milan, nice hat but as a warm weather hat it cannot compare to a Panama. Panamas are way cooler (temperature wise) than my Milan.

Antinomy

Familiar Face
Hi! have a question)
does hatters use salvitose in his work?
Felt is slightly similar to cardboard after using salvitose. But I want to make a dense hat with wide brims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko