Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
[attachmentid=1]
Ok! If i want make hat like this, what i need to do?
1) If i understand, i need good steam machine for shrinking? (Dont use the water)
2) Find a good stiffner? (i find information about shellac with spirt, but some people said that he changed the color of goods)

Sorry if I'm wrong in the conclusions

Steam is used for creasing (shaping) a hat into the form you want. Depending on the quality of the felt, you can also soak or spray the hat with water to shape it. Shrinking is often an unwanted result if you overdo it. ;)
When you say you want to 'make' a hat, what do you mean exactly ? Are you planning on making a hat from scratch or just shape an existing hat ? If you want a hat like the photo you posted, an outback or western hat would fit the bill with the added bonus of already being 'stiff'

Antinomy

Familiar Face
Steam is used for creasing (shaping) a hat into the form you want. Depending on the quality of the felt, you can also soak or spray the hat with water to shape it. Shrinking is often an unwanted result if you overdo it. ;)
When you say you want to 'make' a hat, what do you mean exactly ? Are you planning on making a hat from scratch or just shape an existing hat ? If you want a hat like the photo you posted, an outback or western hat would fit the bill with the added bonus of already being 'stiff'

I already made one hat from scratch,
but the stiffness I want to get only with the help of salvitose, as a result of which the felt became less pleasant to the touch

PS Can you explain me what does you mean "hat would fit the bill with the added bonus of already being 'stiff'"

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I already made one hat from scratch,
but the stiffness I want to get only with the help of salvitose, as a result of which the felt became less pleasant to the touch

PS Can you explain me what does you mean "hat would fit the bill with the added bonus of already being 'stiff'"

Why is it that you want the brim to be very stiff? If the flatness of the brim if the effect you're desiring, that has more to do with how you finish and flange the brim, than with how much stiffener you add.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Much will depend on how you like it. In the past, I did primarily vintage (1800's) and modern Western hats. The stiffner I used in the past, and will continue to use with my hat business today, would be more full strength than what I would use on a different style hat, like most fedora's. That is because the Western genre called for that process. The amount used and the consistency of the stiffner is the key. Hit me with a conversation if I can be of more assistance.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
At a fair, someone has a 7-1/4 Stetson Open road, looks 1950s or 1960s and is asking £75, but may be able to haggle. There are 5-8 moth bites on crown and upper brim. Is it worth getting? A little bigger than my size.

Last edited:
At a fair, someone has a 7-1/4 Stetson Open road, looks 1950s or 1960s and is asking £75, but may be able to haggle. There are 5-8 moth bites on crown and upper brim. Is it worth getting? A little bigger than my size.
I am not a collector of vintage Stetson's so my opinion is dodgy. The price seems to be okay but for me the moth nibbles are a deal breaker. When I started to collect decided I needed to set a few loose parametres. One of those is NOT to buy any hat with moth nibbles. To me the thought of wearing a hat with moth nibbles is just not acceptable.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I am not a collector of vintage Stetson's so my opinion is dodgy. The price seems to be okay but for me the moth nibbles are a deal breaker. When I started to collect decided I needed to set a few loose parametres. One of those is NOT to buy any hat with moth nibbles. To me the thought of wearing a hat with moth nibbles is just not acceptable.

Thanks for that, I pretty much reached the same conclusion thinking to save my money for one in good condition or a custom. If it had been £20... I might have gone for it but.... I need to set some paramètres/rules or this hat affliction is going to get (more) out of control!

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Anybody know anything about Champ "feel the felt" hats? Just found it in a local antique store a purchased for a mere $10. Thought at that price how could anyone possibly go wrong. But I know nothing about it. Can anyone shed some light on my latest find? thanks.

May II 002.jpg May II 007.jpg May II 005.jpg May II 004.jpg May II 006.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Willebe

A-List Customer
+1

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21