Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
moontheloon said:
it is a nice combination of they type of hat that it looks like you are used to and a sort of "western" fedora ... the price is right ... whatever you do don't get the "silverbelly"

hi, what's wrong with the silverbelly? i'm in between choosing silverbelly or bluegrass green

can someone let me know,as im about to place an order for either a silverbelly or bluegrass green. thanks

Last edited:

redcar1296

New in Town
23f0495cf1dd94d76c463438bf7380bb.jpg
daa8fdf7b96fbeb89ecdcfaa38b1d329.jpg
24102f0bdd487b1bb29d584e5aaa5e07.jpg

Found this hat at an estate sale. What era is it and what is the value of it today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blowtorch

Familiar Face
You know the one I mean. Wide brimmed and relatively high crowned, but not Crocodile Dundee.
More Dick Tracy/Indiana Jones.
Just wondering what search terms to use

Thank you! and sorry for my ignorance

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Madison, WI inquires can be answered on this thread - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-creases.9833/page-60 . :)

The brim, crown and creases of fedoras are trimmed with ribbons of so many sizes/colors/varaitions. Edge bindings have subtlies . Colors. So many variations on this theme you have asked.

Visit the above thread and visit What Hat Are You Wearing thread and choose a sample of what your eye tells you is the "classic."

Best wishes hunting, Eric (former resident of Mad Town, UW-Mad Alumni)

See that's what I thought, eBay made me think though that I might be wrong.
Stupid eBay. They will allow those flat crowned barbershop quartet hats, bowler hats, and out and out cowboy hats to be listed as "fedoras" :rolleyes:

@Short Balding Guy (Eric), ever been to the Sacred Feather on State?
You are at the mercy of the ignorance (or not) of the listing seller. The best thing to do is to educate yourself here on the lounge from the many thousands of posts fitting your interests. Sometimes, the Ebay listings are way off, trust your instincts. Figure if they say it is a 1940s vintage hat, it is probably just a modern 1990s POS.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know the one I mean. Wide brimmed and relatively high crowned, but not Crocodile Dundee.
More Dick Tracy/Indiana Jones.
Just wondering what search terms to use

Thank you! and sorry for my ignorance
Akubra Federation would fit the bill. From Hatsdirect.com but that's just my opinion.
Johnny

moontheloon said:
it is a nice combination of they type of hat that it looks like you are used to and a sort of "western" fedora ... the price is right ... whatever you do don't get the "silverbelly"

hi, what's wrong with the silverbelly? i'm in between choosing silverbelly or bluegrass green

can someone let me know,as im about to place an order for either a silverbelly or bluegrass green. thanks
Phil, I don't know if you've made your decision & placed your order yet or not, & don't know what hat you are talking about since I couldn't find the OP. Most of us who have been around a while would probably prefer the Bluegrass Green. It is like a blue spruce color & goes well with about every color you might wear with it. The Silverbelly color has changed a lot thru the yrs & seems to vary some even among sample batches. It is neither silver nor gray. It varies from a light tan to almost white in color, & usually matched up with a brown to sometimes almost gold ribbon.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new hat.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Anybody know anything about Champ "feel the felt" hats? Just found it in a local antique store a purchased for a mere $10. Thought at that price how could anyone possibly go wrong. But I know nothing about it. Can anyone shed some light on my latest find? thanks.

View attachment 75495

I have one Champ hat, a silverbelly Open Road type with, get this, a 2" brim. They were a good quality hat brand, and around for quite a while. And I've read here that Guy Williams of TV's Zorro and Lost in Space fame acted as spokesman for the brand in the late '50s.

The model you found looks like dynamite, and for $10 you gypped the store people. A hat like that in good condition could be sold here for quite a bit more.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What is a packer hat exactly? where does the term 'packer' come from?
Chances are you will get a definitive response from the knowledgeable Lounge fraternity. From what I know a packer hat is one that is durable and weather resistant. It can come in a number of styles but the most popular is that of the narrow brim: But then again i'm probably completely wrong.
hats 066.png

From time to time I've read the expression: "The Bash," am I safe to assume that this means the crease(s) folded into the crown of the hat? I'm thinking of buying this hat, will it shape into the classic fedora appearance?
hats 065.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
From time to time I've read the expression: "The Bash," am I safe to assume that this means the crease(s) folded into the crown of the hat? I'm thinking of buying this hat, will it shape into the classic fedora appearance?

Absolutely! That hat looks like a beauty and will become whatever you want it to become. I'd probable tack the front of that bow down as long as I was working on it.

What is a packer hat exactly? where does the term 'packer' come from?

200_s.gif

Yes, the "bash" is the crease one puts in one's hat. I'm assuming the one you showed would do what you ask of it, if it is not too stiff, like a Western. What kind of hat is it?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the "bash" is the crease one puts in one's hat. I'm assuming the one you showed would do what you ask of it, if it is not too stiff, like a Western. What kind of hat is it?
It was described simply as: "Open Crown." Then the description added, to be shaped to your own style of preference. That's why I asked the question here, own style of preference sounded like a clever, too clever, piece of salesmanship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points