Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
"keep steam away from the hat interior at all times
steam will destroy a sweatband"

Hi folks, first post. I steamed the inside of my campdraft deluxe a while ago. It worked fine. I had already removed the liner, and did try to quickly bypass the sweatband to only direct the steam to where I wanted it applied. But, my question is, without applying steam on the inside, how is one to set the front dent without scalding your fingers?
watch some of the crease videos here on the forum

do not steam the inside of your hats

There are Homburg hats of course. But are there different named styles of Homburg hats?

Like most forms of fashion, Hommys do have some variety in the family, yet most are still referred to as Homburgs. To help answer your question, spend some time here, in the Homburg Nation thread.

Other similar-to-Homburg hats might be a "lord's hat," or a "tuxedo hat."

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
There are Homburg hats of course. But are there different named styles of Homburg hats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loungers have taken to calling our diamond-bashed homburgs "mullet-burgs." Business from the front, but the side reveals the character.

As far as I know, standard variations of a homburg don't really have different names. Some have shallow flanges, some have very exaggerated flanges. Some have shorter crowns, some have taller crowns... As hatsRme noted, the one variant with its own name is a Lord's hat. These are the same as a homburg except the edge, while curled, is not bound.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Alrighty Loungers... I have a question that I think other FL-hobbyists would like to know the answer to.

Does anyone know where hobbyists can buy individual beaver fur capeline bodies?

Winchester used to sell individual bodies to hobbyists, but I just recently spoke with Greg at the Winchester sales office and he said they no longer do that. I believe five or six years ago this was the best option for North Americans -- the price per beaver cap was less than 70.00 USD and there was no minimum order.

Also, TONAK and FEPSA are also out because I don't think they offer anything except rabbit fur in their online stores -- plus they are both very limited in color options as far as I can tell.

I've searched far and wide and have found only two viable options (both with qualifications):
  • Kopka - a German resource that charges 85.00 EUR per cap with a 200.00 EUR minimum purchase plus a 110.00 EUR shipping charge. In just beaver caps, that's a minimum purchase of ~407.00 USD (OUCH!).

• Agnoulita Hats - a Greek Etsy shop that sells individual beaver caps upon request for either 110.00 USD (black) or 135.00 USD (mid-gray, taupe, and brown), with a shipping fee of around 7.50 USD for one cap. This is a more reasonable minimum order cost than Kopka, but still pretty pricey. And unfortunately, this shop is NOT terribly responsive. Takes a few days for them to reply to an inquiry.
Are there any options I'm missing? Any leads? Suggestions?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Alrighty Loungers... I have a question that I think other FL-hobbyists would like to know the answer to.

Winchester used to sell individual bodies to hobbyists, but I just recently spoke with Greg at the Winchester sales office and he said they no longer do that. I believe five or six years ago this was the best option for North Americans -- the price per beaver cap was less than 70.00 USD and there was no minimum order.

Also, TONAK and FEPSA are also out because I don't think they offer anything except rabbit fur in their online stores -- plus they are both very limited in color options as far as I can tell.

I've searched far and wide and have found only two viable options (both with qualifications):
  • Kopka - a German resource that charges 85.00 EUR per cap with a 200.00 EUR minimum purchase plus a 110.00 EUR shipping charge. In just beaver caps, that's a minimum purchase of ~407.00 USD (OUCH!).

• Agnoulita Hats - a Greek Etsy shop that sells individual beaver caps upon request for either 110.00 USD (black) or 135.00 USD (mid-gray, taupe, and brown), with a shipping fee of around 7.50 USD for one cap. This is a more reasonable minimum order cost than Kopka, but still pretty pricey. And unfortunately, this shop is NOT terribly responsive. Takes a few days for them to reply to an inquiry.
I will KILL for this hat body.
Screenshot_2017-05-19-15-38-12-1.png

Too bad about Winchester. While I have reblocked/rebuilt some old felts, actually building one from the ground up was my next goal.

I'll be interested to see what you find out.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Too bad about Winchester. While I have reblocked/rebuilt some old felts, actually building one from the ground up was my next goal.

I'll be interested to see what you find out.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Raymond at ManHatCo just told me he is 90% sure he'll have beaver caps in his inventory within three or four weeks. He won't tell me where they are from... But he's been a stand up guy so far to me. Super casual and responsive.

John Cronyn

New in Town
Loungers have taken to calling our diamond-bashed homburgs "mullet-burgs." Business from the front, but the side reveals the character.

As far as I know, standard variations of a homburg don't really have different names. Some have shallow flanges, some have very exaggerated flanges. Some have shorter crowns, some have taller crowns... As hatsRme noted, the one variant with its own name is a Lord's hat. These are the same as a homburg except the edge, while curled, is not bound.

Okay flanges are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto