Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Just thought, I've bought a new felt hat but the courier is expected to deliver almost a week from last Saturday. All in Los Angeles area not sure why it'll take that long. But weather is in 90s low. Would keeping a felt hat in back of a truck in higher temp make slight shrinkage to the hat?
I have a felt hat in my RV for the last 3 weeks and the temp during the day has not dropped below 85. Hat is in changed
..perhaps if I were wearing it and drenching the sweat it might shrink some but unworn it is fine.

Just thought, I've bought a new felt hat but the courier is expected to deliver almost a week from last Saturday. All in Los Angeles area not sure why it'll take that long. But weather is in 90s low. Would keeping a felt hat in back of a truck in higher temp make slight shrinkage to the hat?
I have a felt hat in my RV for the last 3 weeks and the temp during the day has not dropped below 85. Hat is in changed
..perhaps if I were wearing it and drenching the sweat it might shrink some but unworn it is fine.
Should read UNCHANGED IN SIZE

msoliday

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, first post. Picked this Mallory up at Goodwill today. Not my size (7 1/4 and I wear a 7 1/2) but bought it because it's a beauty and I would like to hone my repair skills - well, plus it was only $2.99. Any idea on age? I'm thinking maybe early '60s? Thanks much.

dff540c2e83711bbd63b3d0e9de9bf11.jpg
aef11cd8f5762ffb33f954249231e8f4.jpg
80307ba526619623de67a90f93de1d45.jpg
48edb9a02166706f890af12e0c6a47e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think early 60s is a good guess. Are there any tags under the sweat band. There are clues there too. That liner logo is also later looking. Check out the Mallory Mile thread and read read read. It should also be posted there too. My size too.

msoliday

One of the Regulars
No, no other tags under the band, just this inventory code (guess) stamped on the underside. Interestingly, the "Patio Players" are a local theatre group.

Thanks for the tip on the Mallory Mile thread.

549f42d0c92f3921ce4b251dee2b3cb7.jpg
04a5e8804e38049528fd3463f2d52eac.jpg

niv

Familiar Face
Anyone know (1) what the style Panama Hat Ryan O'Neal was wearing in the film Paper Moon, is called, and (2) where one can be acquired? Please advise.

Anyone know (1) what the style Panama Hat Ryan O'Neal was wearing in the film Paper Moon, is called, and (2) where one can be acquired? Please advise.

It's an Optimo crowned fedora with the brim turned down 360°. It appears to be a fine weave Motecristi that can run into some $$$$$$. They're around, just Google. Here's a Cuenca weave by Tom Gomez.
image.jpeg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A very common hat. Its the quality and price that is the question. I have a cheap Onley folder that does the job I think it was 25 British pounds. I also have a high end Monticristi from WWW.Panamahatsdirect.com that cost over $200 back in the day (over ten years ago now)
So you can check out https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/ , maybe village hat shop as well. http://www.villagehatshop.com/category/93/1/straw-panamas.html Since Panama Bob went Bust a few years ago its seems to be up in the air where people get their Panama hats.
hope that helps,
Johnny

No, no other tags under the band, just this inventory code (guess) stamped on the underside. Interestingly, the "Patio Players" are a local theatre group.

Thanks for the tip on the Mallory Mile thread.

549f42d0c92f3921ce4b251dee2b3cb7.jpg
04a5e8804e38049528fd3463f2d52eac.jpg

Most likely this hat was used as a prop or costume hat at the theater. It has had an interesting life, straight of the boards. It deserves a new life. The stories it could tell!

niv

Familiar Face
Thank you!
A very common hat. Its the quality and price that is the question. I have a cheap Onley folder that does the job I think it was 25 British pounds. I also have a high end Monticristi from WWW.Panamahatsdirect.com that cost over $200 back in the day (over ten years ago now)
So you can check out https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/ , maybe village hat shop as well. http://www.villagehatshop.com/category/93/1/straw-panamas.html Since Panama Bob went Bust a few years ago its seems to be up in the air where people get their Panama hats.
hope that helps,
Johnny

New Fedora Lounge member here. I have a question about the famous Poet Hat Herbert Johnson made for Harrison Ford to use as Indiana Jones. On Village Hat Shop, there's the Ford Fedora crushable hat. Is that a good affordable alternative fedora for that classic indy look?

I have a hat that has a light sweat mark on the light colored grosgrain ribbon. Any thoughts as to how it might be removed? I'd hate to just replace it, if at all possible. Thanks gang! View attachment 78093

Mike, I've had pretty good luck using about a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and distilled water to remove sweat stains. I usually do the whole ribbon to cut down on any water marks. Letting it dry in direct sunlight seems to help a bit as well.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I have a hat that has a light sweat mark on the light colored grosgrain ribbon. Any thoughts as to how it might be removed? I'd hate to just replace it, if at all possible. Thanks gang! View attachment 78093
I've had some moderate success with Johns method shown here ... sometimes it takes a 2 or 3 applications and maybe 2 or so days ... but it does work

a light sweatband may be a bit more tough

I would also probably use cold distilled water .. make sure it is cold

Jacks suggestion is also great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk