Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know how to get a rust stain out of a fur felt hat? I tried giving it a naptha bath and gently scrubbing the spot while wet in the naptha but it just won't come out.

One or both of you are enablers ;).
We're all enablers here. The only time I've seen anyone talk someone else out of buying a hat here is when a new member shows up seeking advice on whether or not a particular hat is worth the ridiculously inflated price the seller is asking. Even then they'll say, "Don't waste your money...", then offer any number of options that will allow that new member to get a better deal on another hat. o_O

Mind you, I'm not saying that's a bad thing... :D

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Really? Is that the only method left?

The idea of sanding your hat's felt may seem a bit scary but it's actually not so bad if the area you are trying to clean or smooth is fairly shallow. You can start with really thick sand paper to get the major flaws out, use the really fine paper to even everything out, then take steam and a nice brush to the whole thing. (Note: when you are using fine sand paper and a brush, it's important to keep the strokes counter-clockwise). I think I've sanded the entire brim area of my last three ebay finds to either remove moth nibbles or even out the color.

If the stain goes deep, I don't know that you'll be able to remove it if a naptha bath is unsuccessful =(

MatthewPace

New in Town
I can go with "direct." Even the most direct of them have taken their time to assist me. A great group of guys indeed. The only problem is that the more I learn the more I want.

I can completely attest to that and I already enjoy this lounge immensely. Y'all are a pleasure to learn from and interact with. I truly thank you for helping a young aspiring college student find his way in this wonderful brimmed world.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I can completely attest to that and I already enjoy this lounge immensely. Y'all are a pleasure to learn from and interact with. I truly thank you for helping a young aspiring college student find his way in this wonderful brimmed world.

I had another thought just now... the market is currently pretty good for you in terms of vintage millinery blocks. 6 3/4 all over the place -- so if you ever get into the hobby of refurbing your ebay finds, you've typically got a lot of product out there to choose from.

MatthewPace

New in Town
I had another thought just now... the market is currently pretty good for you in terms of vintage millinery blocks. 6 3/4 all over the place -- so if you ever get into the hobby of refurbing your ebay finds, you've typically got a lot of product out there to choose from.

I'm not sure if that's something I'll ever get into but I'm sure during my time here I'll probably want to get into it as some point.

thanks for clarifying Bob... I've suffered from it for my entire life and am well aware

it's also very annoying the way people throw around things like ... " oh my god I just have to have a strawberry smoothie every week I'm so OCD" ... uh ... no you're not ... you're just a moron who likes smoothies who knows nothing about OCD

those 3 letters have become like the go to claim for anyone who does anything they think is fkn quirky ... don't get me started

live with it and want to smash your head against the wall because you can't get out of the house due to rituals all the while knowing how absolutely ridiculous it is ... then see how much these idiots want to claim owning it

sorry ... sore subject for me :) .... carry on

It must be tough. I often refer to myself as "OCD," but I realize that my idiosyncrasies are nothing compared to the real thing. If you can walk away from it most times, like me, you don't really have it.

I hate this place and I hate you all. This place has caused me to sell cowboy boots just to buy another damn hat.

HAHA! We hate you back, too, Greg.

I'm in recovery...

From being gruff?

Does anyone know how to get a rust stain out of a fur felt hat? I tried giving it a naptha bath and gently scrubbing the spot while wet in the naptha but it just won't come out.

That's one I haven't been able to solve, and I've tried several things. If it's saturated, and Blue's suggestion of sanding doesn't work, you may be in a pickle.

Heh.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It must be tough. I often refer to myself as "OCD," but I realize that my idiosyncrasies are nothing compared to the real thing. If you can walk away from it most times, like me, you don't really have it.

OCD is more irritating and exhausting than anything else ... I'm not complaining ... people have real things to complain about ... I don't believe OCD is one of them

it just irks me sometimes how easily it is thrown around ... I'll stop now before I start sounding more ridiculous than I already do

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
OCD is more irritating and exhausting than anything else ... I'm not complaining ... people have real things to complain about ... I don't believe OCD is one of them

it just irks me sometimes how easily it is thrown around ... I'll stop now before I start sounding more ridiculous than I already do

Just so you know -- I mentioned OCD in the "What hat" thread earlier and I wasn't being flippant. It actually does take me ten to fifteen minutes to convince myself that my house is secure enough to leave for work. Same for convincing myself the house is safe enough for me to go to sleep.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Just so you know -- I mentioned OCD in the "What hat" thread earlier and I wasn't being flippant. It actually does take me ten to fifteen minutes to convince myself that my house is secure enough to leave for work. Same for convincing myself the house is safe enough for me to go to sleep.
you and I have more things in common than hats my friend ... hahahahaha

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

You have never sounded "ridiculous." "Gruff" maybe... never ridiculous..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21