• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. @Doc Glockster, I would have to ask (more for myself than for anyone else), are your hats for wearing, or for keepsakes? I'm a collector of sorts - guitars, cameras, etc. I take care of everything I own, but I don't go to extremes. I keep my guitars clean and in tune, but I don't put them in display cases. They are made for playing. With my new and growing hat collection, I plan to do the same thing: I'll keep them clean and stored in my closet, but I'm not going to extremes. Otherwise, I won't feel comfortable wearing them, and that defeats the whole purpose, in my mind.

I know that doesn't answer your question, and truthfully, it wasn't an attempt to. It made me think about how I approach "collectibles."

2. Doc Glockster

Doc Glockster One of the Regulars

I'm basically turning into a "one hat" person--but I have spares I keep in storage. I have an Akubra slouch hat that I've decided is about the perfect safari hat, and since I wear it in all kinds of weather I have a couple of spares on hand in case I irreparably damage the one I use every day. The ones I store I basically plan to take out about once a year and apply some Pecard's leather conditioner to the sweat band. Otherwise, they stay in the hat box with a hat jack.

3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat Familiar Face

Hello Sir: Not to have your answer but, if you are that concerned, (nothing wrong there), you could buy a inexpensive hygrometer and monitor the humidity swings and decide what is best for you. Might be interesting. Be well. Bowen

DOGMAN likes this.
  4. Hey Antinomy, I would say that the 29K would not be ideal for sewing in hat sweatbands, although, with some patience and practice, I suppose it could be done. Singer made the 107-1 and 107-2 machines specifically for that purpose with the slanted head to properly sew in the band, but the originals are rare and the clones are a couple grand at least. One can hand sew a lot of sweatbands for that kind of money. Still, if you do any kind of leather work, as I do, and ever need to repair shoes, boots, belts, leather bags, etc. the Singer 29 is invaluable. If the price is right it is definitely a very cool and useful machine to have around. I wouldn't trade my 29K71 for anything.

LuvMyMan likes this.
  5. I sure agree with everything you have said. Even when I am "tight" budget wise, the huntg is on for clean vintage or preowned nice hats (as well as any new hats, too)!

Redfokker likes this.
  6. Antinomy

Antinomy New in Town

I dont work with the skin at all. Singer 107 is very difficult to find in my country((Offer on singer 29k - 260$
    I think to take or not

7. That's a decent price if the machine is in proper working order, however, I personally wouldn't buy it to use as a sweatband machine. Another problem I forgot to mention is the stitch length. At best, you're probably going to be able to get 6 to 7 stitches per inch and that's if the parts in the head are not too worn. If the parts are worn at all you'll probably get about 9 to 10 stitches per inch and, in my opinion, that's too close together for sweatbands. You may even damage the felt with that tight of a stitch pattern. Also, that machine only feeds the material with the top presser foot. There are no bottom feed dogs. I think getting the felt and sweatband to feed at the same rate would be problematic.

Antinomy likes this.
  8. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck One Too Many

So for the moisture to reach your hats it will have to get thru the door, the box and then onto your hat. Initially i would say it shouldn't be a problem but a little bit every day over a long period of time it may actually affect the hat. Accumulative effect. So for a long tern storage I would say store them somewhere else. But that is just me.
    Johnny

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Zombie_61 and Redfokker like this.
  9. My Agnoulita shipped today.

So far:
    The company is unresponsive to emails and left me in the dark. The one email I did receive (I sent rhem five) was to apologize for not answering all my prior emails and informed me that the hat has shipped and that they upgraded my shipping at no cost to me.

The hat did ship within their time estimate.

If your looking for a hatter who will work with you and engage in the process required to make a true custome hat this is not the company for you.

No idea what shipping time from Greece will be, but I'm hoping to receive it sometime in December.

All-in-all, I don't think the experience has been much of a surprise to this point. I hoped it would be better with a responsive hatter, but I wasn't expecting it at the price and their being in Greece. Again, since the price is approximately $50 less than a rabbit Gannon (and some others) it's hard to see much value for money in this hat.

Proof is in the pudding and I'll include photos and a review when it arrives.

RJR, Zombie_61 and Redfokker like this.
  10. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck One Too Many

You should post some pictures of your hats. I would like to see your collection.
    Johnny

M Hatman and Bill Hughes like this.

11. I have 3 option for sizing. Paper crown, leather sweatband and portable conformator

RJR and FedOregon like this.
  12. Quick question: Why do so many people scowl or frown when taking selfies wearing your hats? One would think you’d be overjoyed to be seen wearing a fine piece of craftsmanship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  13. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes A-List Customer

I can only speak for myself. I am not comfortable with self promotion. I tend to not smile for any pictures - especially a selfie.

14. Good question. I wanted them to smile too, but then when I started posting my photos I was usually somber. Don't really know why. I sometimes make myself smile and I always prefer those photos. I also like the folks who can pull off a big toothy grin, but that's not me. There must be something about selfies that make us self conscious. Maybe it is the desire to not be seen as vain? In any case, there are Lounge members I've seen hundreds of times in photos but I've never seen them smile.

Perhaps you will lead the smile revolution? Are you smiling in your post?

Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  15. On all my newly acquired old vintage hats I apply a liberal coating of Bick 4 and let it soak into the sweat overnight before I attempt to turn the sweat inside out. If the leather has rotted or dried where the structure has been compromised there is nothing that will help, but moisturizing the sweat before manipulating it is a good idea. You're right though, we do t know how these hats were stored or cared for. If leather isn't conditioned for decades and is dry and baked in garages, etc., there is no bringing them back. It's hard to judge their condition without handling them.

As an aside, some newer hats have bonded leather sweats that are terrible and deteriorate much faster than full-grain leather no matter how you care for them. They also shrink more and don't conform to your head as well. I avoid these when possible.

Zombie_61, M Hatman and Desert dog like this.
  16. I see it as a noble experiment and I can live vicariously through your experience. In the meantime I have sent an email to the Danish hatter.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. There is no one more averse to having their picture taken than I. I don't even use a photo in my avatar. That said, the one photo I posted here (see this post) has me smiling for joy modeling my new hat!

Let me state for the record publicly that I will endeavor to smile always when posting a photo of me wearing my finest!

M Hatman, Zombie_61 and jonesy86 like this.
  18. Hi All, so I bought this vintage Mallory XV hat on the bay. After receiving it, it had many more moth nibbles than advertised and the sweatband had dried out enough to where it was separating at the stitching from the hat, also not disclosed. It's obviously not been worn much for being, I dunno 80yrs old maybe?, but I don't think it was stored well either. I'm feeling like the description was poor but not sure if I want to send it back, it looks good otherwise and the felt feels very fine (despite the nibbles). My question is... what do you think I should do about the hat/sweatband? Try to return the hat or fix the sweatband? If not for the sweatband, I'd be content with the hat otherwise. Here's a link to the original auction listing...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Stetson-fedora-7-1-4-Mallory-034-Fifteen-034-hat-mens-XV-/263330665125?nma=true&si=HIiwMoGBmrTB9jJtjBu0022onb4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and some additional pics of the hat can be found here (until I figure out how to post pictures directly).... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/O5LJLhgH0JvDy0ik1

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    deadlyhandsome and M Hatman like this.
  19. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

If you're happy otherwise,I'd replace the sweatband.

Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  20. Honestly....that is a cool and unusual hat. I would fix it and proudly wear it!!!! It is a nice find....I am a bigger size and vintage hats are hard to find........so...I have a few with problems like moth holes......and I have to say....I wear them and even on my worst have NEVER had ANYONE notice or comment on the holes......they are always overtaken by the fact I am wearing a (cool) hat!!!!
    Best,
    M

deadlyhandsome, Zombie_61 and cozy d like this.