Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't trying to answer all the questions, just the fact that dead felt has that clay like hand to it you are seeking. We can't time travel to see what it felt like off the shelf. Also remember that Stetson used to "age" blanks for a year before putting them into finishing process to make hats. Nowadays, that can't be done to have that much $$$ sitting stagnant in the production process. I'm sure food sources & habitat have changed the beaver fur fibers some, same for rabbit & wild hare. Lots of factors equate to "they don't make 'em like they used to"....
Bob at Black Sheep has some vintage blanks in some very interesting colors ... I think maybe Art does as well ?

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Can anybody direct me toward a proven (used successfully by you) weather-proofing spray I can apply to my felt hats like modern Stetson, Dobbs and even my vintage? Thank you all in advance.

Can anybody direct me toward a proven (used successfully by you) weather-proofing spray I can apply to my felt hats like modern Stetson, Dobbs and even my vintage? Thank you all in advance.
I've used good ole Scotchgard on wool crushers to okay results for camping & kayaking. I have never treated any fur felt hats with anything. Best thing for them is the plastic hat rain cover = https://www.villagehatshop.com/prod...oXVAUy9z2RFDyKVE-FtIQp3you5MnZvYaAr3bEALw_wcB

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I recall Art had some in some pastel looking colors. Bob may have had some of those too...

Yeah Bob had sent me some photos of some wonderful greens , blues and browns

1ba475cf1b569d619c4543e320321424.jpg

b4cb378056f9b282eb20dae8f157c0af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used scout brand once and it beaded up all over my hat. Had to pounce it to smooth it out again.
Only thing I found useful was scotch guard. Just remember to re- apply every three months to keep the weather proofing up.
Why would you want to weather proof a felt hat? I did it to my Akubra back in the day but found they can handle the rain just fine as long as I let it dry naturally and completely before wearing again. Never had an issue.
Johnny

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
I used scout brand once and it beaded up all over my hat. Had to pounce it to smooth it out again.
Only thing I found useful was scotch guard. Just remember to re- apply every three months to keep the weather proofing up.
Why would you want to weather proof a felt hat? I did it to my Akubra back in the day but found they can handle the rain just fine as long as I let it dry naturally and completely before wearing again. Never had an issue.
Johnny

Johnny,

Thank you for your response. I am very nervous about getting caught out in a good hard rain and ruining my hats. They aren't cheap as you know and I have read a lot of horror stories on here as far as Stetson in the rain. I own mostly Stetson. It is actually my greatest fear to get caught outside in a storm and puss away all the money I put in to them.

I also came across a Bickmore spray on Amazon fairly inexpensive. Any thoughts on that?

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Any tips for removing glue from the brim? Got this on Resistol Stagecoach on ebay and a giant feather was glued to the brim. I'm left with these two hard as rocks spots of glue. I gave the hat a gas bath, tried warming the glue with a blow drier, and picked at it with fingernails, but no luck.

P2160001.JPG

Last edited:
This is the type of felt he is talking about...
Sidestepping the "quality of the felt then versus now" part of the discussion for the moment, surely those hats being creased and re-creased over the years/decades must have contributed somewhat to their current state of malleability? I'm sincerely asking because I'm trying to further my knowledge of fur felt hats.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Sidestepping the "quality of the felt then versus now" part of the discussion for the moment, surely those hats being creased and re-creased over the years/decades must have contributed somewhat to their current state of malleability? I'm sincerely asking because I'm trying to further my knowledge of fur felt hats.

I own hats that have never been creased
doesn’t have anything to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must change the felt somewhat. I recently received a Premier Stratoliner that was stiff and a huge disappointment compared to my other hats of the same model. After working the crown a while the felt became much more pliable and much softer.

I can see the manipulation breaking down the shellac or other stiffeners and improving the hand and the malleability. I’m sure that this happens. I just don’t see any amount of working the felt getting it to be denser. Also, the vintage hats are consistent throughout the entire felt body so I have to believe their desirable characteristics are intrinsic to the felt and not a result of their owners actions. And yes I do realize that I brought this back to the “now vs then” discussion you were avoiding. Sorry.

Any tips for removing glue from the brim? Got this on Resistol Stagecoach on ebay and a giant feather was glued to the brim. I'm left with these two hard as rocks spots of glue. I gave the hat a gas bath, tried warming the glue with a blow drier, and picked at it with fingernails, but no luck.

View attachment 107318

I think I would contact a shop that does refurbishment work and get some advice from them. I bet they’d tell you any trade secrets.

I own hats that have never been creased
doesn’t have anything to do with it
Thank you Anthony! I was hoping for responses from people who have actual hands-on experience like yourself. Of course, if anyone else wants to chime in... :D

It must change the felt somewhat. I recently received a Premier Stratoliner that was stiff and a huge disappointment compared to my other hats of the same model. After working the crown a while the felt became much more pliable and much softer...
I've had the same experience, which is why I asked. My oldest hat (as far as I know) is my Dark Brown Fed IV, and I've only had it for 9-1/2 years. When I re-creased it a year ago the felt was much softer than it was when I received the hat, and I was a little surprised by how easily it took it's new shape when I dry-creased it; noticeably easier than when it was brand new.

...I can see the manipulation breaking down the shellac or other stiffeners and improving the hand and the malleability. I’m sure that this happens. I just don’t see any amount of working the felt getting it to be denser. Also, the vintage hats are consistent throughout the entire felt body so I have to believe their desirable characteristics are intrinsic to the felt and not a result of their owners actions. And yes I do realize that I brought this back to the “now vs then” discussion you were avoiding. Sorry.
I agree 100% about breaking down the stiffener(s) through manipulation of the felt (as verified by my previous statement), but I wouldn't expect that same manipulation to affect it's density; that happens during the manufacturing process. I've never had a vintage hat of any style in my hands to make a direct comparison, which I why I ask these questions of those who have. And no worries about mentioning the direct "now vs then" comparison between felts, I was merely hoping to avoid the "No, the felt was definitely better then!" comments from members who have grown tired of discussing this topic over and over. I completely understand comments like that, but I don't learn anything from them.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Okay Scott, so I'll jump in here with some very limited experience from a somewhat similar situation that occurred early in my hat making journey. While making a custom rabbit felt hat for a buddy of mine, I was ironing the hat brim on a new round pine ironing surface and there was a small sap line in the wood that that transferred sap to the felt. First I tried picking it off with a fingernail with only limited success. Next I tried to use heat and that only served to allow the sap to permeate farther into the felt. Worst possible method to remove any substance that melts. Then I tried sanding it out, but by then the sap had bled too far into the felt to be sanded away. What I didn't try, but probably should have started with, was freezing the sap and scraping it off (A trick my grandmother used to use to remove chewing gum from fabrics), though I don't know if that would have worked in this situation or not. I finally chalked the whole thing up to experience and started over with a new hat body. On the up side, I finished the hat with the damaged felt and kept it for myself as a beater. Now it's one of my favorite hats and I wear it with impunity. No worries about screwing up a hat that's already screwed up.
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 107318
Greetings 77:
Wow guy that one really sucks! If you tried a gas bath and heat to no avail i’m wondering what type of glue it is. Water soluble maybe? Is the glue spot a thick convex shape? Before you freeze and pick it off i might try a targeted water soak. First i would try and reduce the thickness and surface integrity of the glue with a pin or needle. That should increase surface area for water (assuming soluable). I’d pick as much off the top as possible, then try water soaked cotton balls on top of the abraded spot also under the brim. If it’s soluable you may get lucky and lift it off. If not then try the freeze and pick but i fear you may take a divot with it. If the glue is soaked deeply into the felt i imagine all bets are off. Good luck. Let us know how it fairs.
Be well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana