Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention eBay Shoppers

Canadave

One Too Many
Gentlemen (and Lady),

If I were to purchase a vintage felt on eBay, what size could I reasonably anticipate could be stretched to my size? For example, could I safely bid on 7 3/4? Anything less?

Thanks a lot,

"Ol' 7 7/8"

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by Canadave
Gentlemen (and Lady),

If I were to purchase a vintage felt on eBay, what size could I reasonably anticipate could be stretched to my size? For example, could I safely bid on 7 3/4? Anything less?

Thanks a lot,

"Ol' 7 7/8"

We chatted about this a bit ago, and here are some good replies. You have to rebuild the hat completely to go much more than one size change. Hope this helps.

http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=694

Canadave

One Too Many
Dang, I broke the cardinal rule...before asking a question, do a search first! Sorry.

(2nd rule? Try and remember stuff you read before...I now remember this thread. :eek: )

Thanks Andykev,

David

jpdesign

Vendor
My general rule is: depending on the felt they can be changed up to five sizes up or down. If you go more then two you will lose or gain a bit of brim.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by jpdesign
My general rule is: depending on the felt they can be changed up to five sizes up or down. If you go more then two you will lose or gain a bit of brim.

What?!?!?!?!

For the amature hat blocker:
No, you can only go about one size using the stretch, steam, wet the sweatband method.

Any other size requires a total reblock: remove sweatband, ribbon...block hat.

Increase in size will require reduction in crown height or brim width. The material has to come from somewhere.

This is for the "home blocker" ...if you are a professional..or have the real equipment...then nothing is impossible.

Just my electric hat stretcher, the wood block, and the tea kettle talking.

It does seem that if you size via the tea kettle, it always reverts back slowly over time. Have it done professionally if the hat is worth keeping. or is a great vintage.!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB