Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AUCTION #68: Lee - All American - Size 7 1/2 - C0000228978-closed

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
AUCTION #68: Lee - All American - Size 7 1/2 - C0000228978

END DATE: Wednesday, July 30, at 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4) according to Lounge Server.

HAT BARCODE: C0000228978
BRAND: Lee
STYLE: All American
SIZE: 7 1/2
CONDITION: Mint. Original plastic liner is still intact. Very rare for 60 year old hat.
MOTH NIBBLES?: No
BRIM WIDTH: 2 1/2"

C0000228978_1.jpg

C0000228978_2.jpg

C0000228978_3.jpg

C0000228978_4.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Beautiful Hat... Not much interest

This hat sold on Wednesday for the opening bid price.

I'm not seeing much interest in the auctions lately.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You've got quite a few nice hats, Johnny. There are at least a few that will really bring in the crowds. Others are nice but the opening price on this was probably around what the sale price should be. This one is my size, but I'm anticipating the sale of several others, as I'm sure, are other Loungers. Don't lose faith, we're all still watching, waiting, and drooling.

carter

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
opening bids are too high...

I agree. Opening at what is probably the high market value pretty much precludes an auction. A lower opening coupled with (or without) a reserve would generate more interest.

This looks like a "see what the market can bear" exercise.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Agreed

I have to agree with the above. You've got great hats Johnny, and I had my eye on this one specifically, but you're opening bid was already out of my range. I'm glad you got what you wanted, but I think a lot of us would've rather had a chance to at least bid on it. I'm sure it would've been bid up to it's sale price, or at least close to it.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Still here just waiting for certain hats. I liked this one but it lookes like it has a taper and I can't do a crown with a taper, didn't want to take a risk when one of my must haves might be up soon.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Can't set a reserve...

Thanks for the interest, gents.

I can't set a reserve, so I have to set a high sale price... It's my only hedge against low-balls.

If I knew that I would get more interest, then I could set the opening prices lower.

By setting the opening bid at a higher price, it lowers the amount of action, but it allows for people to go higher, if they want.

In the case of this hat... I just couldn't let it go for less than the opening bid. It is absolutely one of the best hats in the collection.

I'm thinking of posting the hats for longer auctions, to give everyone a chance to participate during the off season... If that doesn't work, I may have to wait until Sept. when more people are paying attention.

jdbenson said:
I have to agree with the above. You've got great hats Johnny, and I had my eye on this one specifically, but you're opening bid was already out of my range. I'm glad you got what you wanted, but I think a lot of us would've rather had a chance to at least bid on it. I'm sure it would've been bid up to it's sale price, or at least close to it.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I don't think it's about getting the attention, Johnny. People are drooling all over themselves waiting for these lids to go up. But, money is tight for just about everyone, and many probably share my strategy (and jdbenson's). I watch every hat in my size, but I'll probably only be able to afford one more of these babies, so I'm holding back for those I like the most. Believe me, if I had the $$$, every 7 1/2 would be mine! All MINE!!!! :D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
johnnyphi said:
Thanks for the interest, gents.

I can't set a reserve, so I have to set a high sale price... It's my only hedge against low-balls.

If I knew that I would get more interest, then I could set the opening prices lower.

By setting the opening bid at a higher price, it lowers the amount of action, but it allows for people to go higher, if they want.

In the case of this hat... I just couldn't let it go for less than the opening bid. It is absolutely one of the best hats in the collection.

I'm thinking of posting the hats for longer auctions, to give everyone a chance to participate during the off season... If that doesn't work, I may have to wait until Sept. when more people are paying attention.

These comments are unfair...the issue is the opening price..punto!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Unfair?

I appreciate all of the input from each perspective, but I don't understand this comment. I don't think any of the comments on this thread were unfair... mine or anyone else. [huh]

cookie said:
These comments are unfair...the issue is the opening price..punto!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it's a fair policy. I agree that the hat in question definitely was one of the cream of the crop. If Johnny had set a lower price and more had been involved in bidding it up, the outcome would still have been the same. Setting the price artificially low just gets people frustrated. It'll make more Loungers bid, but they'll soon be outbid. After awhile, they stop bidding because they start to feel they'll NEVER get one of the great hats Johnny has available for sale because they've lost on so many prior auctions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points