Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AUCTION #68: Lee - All American - Size 7 1/2 - C0000228978-closed

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I would have to agree with John and Mike, the auction seems quite fair. Having three of his lids, I can speak to the quality of the hats and the vendor. I am happy with the arrangement and the purchase prices, and was willing to go higher if others had put in bids. The opening bids seem fair to me and I am sure that others who have purchased hats from John would feel similarly. Actually, some have in the Johnnyphi Hat Club thread[huh]

S

Samsa

I don't know if there's a place for "fair" in an auction.[huh] The person offering the hat is able to set the bid to what he wants...and the rest of us are left to judge whether it's worth bidding or not. Johnny has a great collection and knows that there are loungers wealthy enough to make a $150 opening bid. Some of us, such as myself, are not. That's not unfair; it's just the nature of the game.

That said, it should be no surprise that lots of loungers aren't "paying attention" to the auctions - we know what the starting bids are going to be, and the high prices turn us away. As for me, I know that until I come into lots of spare cash I shall stick to searching eBay and vintage stores and consignment shops for hidden gems.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
I think it's a fair policy. I agree that the hat in question definitely was one of the cream of the crop. If Johnny had set a lower price and more had been involved in bidding it up, the outcome would still have been the same. Setting the price artificially low just gets people frustrated. It'll make more Loungers bid, but they'll soon be outbid. After awhile, they stop bidding because they start to feel they'll NEVER get one of the great hats Johnny has available for sale because they've lost on so many prior auctions.

You may be right, but if I may make an observation...
Of the auctions I've paid attention to, the one with the highest final price (and the most bidding action) was one of the low-ball starting bids. Yes, that means there were more "losers" than usual, but I think the lower start bid generated several things;
1. Those with not too much money figured they could try, just in case that one got overlooked.
2. Those of moderate means had time to feel like maybe they'd pay less than they were willing to.
3. Growing Enthusiasm, and thus bidding momentum. (Let's be honest, fellow winners. Some of you got caught up in the active bidding and went over your original self-imposed limit.)

With all of that said, placing myself in the "lower is better to start" camp; These are Johnny's hats, brought to us by way of his efforts and time, and he calls the shots. I probably overpaid for mine (a humble Adam), but I do not regret it one bit. My collection of vintage hats is tiny (2, to be exact). It would be smaller if not for Johnnyphi.

GWD

One Too Many
I agree that starting the bid with lower price has a phycological effect on the bidders the first Forest Green Royal Stetson you listed started at $75.00 size 7 inexplicably it didn't sell. But the one you listed in my size started at $150.00. I have to admit, I was a little miffed and didn't even try, even though it was on my want list, it didn't sell either. I same hat in 7 1/4 sold for more than $300.00!

I think when it comes right down to it, there is no rhyme or reason to what people are going to bid on and why.

There are one or two more that I have my eye on but the starting price will effect my interest.

I may be wrong here too, but the hat size may also have something to do with how much people are willing to pay for a hat.

lincoln1965

New in Town
cookie said:
opening bids are too high...

Too high? I think one has to look at what is being offered. These vintage hats are going to be seen in this condition once in a "tremendously" great
while. I think all have to look at it from this perspective. When are you going to buy a hat from so long ago, made in such quality, ever again.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Excellent discussion...

Friends...

I appreciate the discussion. I didn't expect it, but I appreciate it.

My goal is to post opening bids that allow room for bidding, without leaving me with the short end of the stick when interest/activity is low.

I will do my best to post the hats at reasonable opening prices, depending on size, quality, brand and condition.

With all due respect to bargain hunters... The competion should be between bidders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points