Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authentic WWII Old Timer Pilot!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This fine gentleman was walking around the Livermore Airport this past weekend in full uniform from WWII. He was a pilot in the Africa Theater of the war, and on up into Italy for his tour. He told me that the Italians did not like the Americans even though they switched from the Nazi's to the Allies.

Remember, we were the ones who bombed and killed their fathers, hence great anger towards us. (Sound familiar in today's news?).

This gentleman was in his mid 80's...and was as alert as anyone. Great memory and stories. He was missing three fingers on his right hand (I didn't ask). He was admiring the uniforms on display, stating they were exactly the same as worn ..unchanged...

Quite a remarkable man. Thanks to him for his sacrifices in the "Great WWII". Unfortunately, I did not get his name.

f86d98e9.jpg

Imahomer

Practically Family
Did you get a chance to catch any of his stories from the day? I love meeting and talking to people who have actually been there and done that!

Fedora

Vendor
I am tempted to post some pics from Sudberry England, of my father in law(a crew chief on a B-17) and his fellow crewman and pilots. I love hearing him tell of things that happened, and some things, you just have to shake your head, and feel sorry for the loved ones of the folks that lost their lives. He has many interesting stories. I get a chuckle whenever I recall last year, after watching a History channel film on the 8th Air Force based in England, during the war. One of the things that was said by the Brits of the Americans, is, "overfed, oversexed, and over here".LOL His reaction was a classic. He started off saying, "well, let me tell you about those..........and then thought better of it. He shut up real quick, but I knew what he was about to say. I still laugh about that. He is 88 years old, and truly a member of the "greatest generation". I firmly believe that with all of my heart and soul. These kind of gentlemen are the last.........and we are faced with a tremendous loss, as they go. This world will be a much, much poorer place without folks of this caliber. A class act, to the end. Fedora

Imahomer

Practically Family
Fedora, you need to post some photos. Please! I agree with your assessment of that generation. You are lucky that you are there to hear some of the stories, most of us just miss out and don't really know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk