Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI Leather seal A-2 Jacket Review (pic heavy)

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hello everybody,
A while back, while in Denmark, I contacted Morten at AVI Leathers (www.avilthr.com) and we talked ‘A-2’s. So, keen on a seal version, I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of these jackets.
Thought I’d post some info.
First impressions... not bad at all. Well presented and a well-made jacket.
AVI Leather A-2 022.JPG

The quality is great, one can feel it right out the box. Its well put together, feels durable and the stitching is pretty neat. This is a jacket that will certainly last a life time.
AVI Leather A-2 003.JPG

Its based on the Bronco contract, but not from original patterns. Rather, this is their take on the classic WW2 A-2 jacket… it has scalloped pockets and a sharp profile with square shoulders… does not feel restrictive at all.
AVI Leather A-2 011.JPG

The jacket has a collar stand and sports an inside leather facing along the zipper, which although not necessarily ‘authentic’, arguably adds a bit of extra quality… I also really like the collar profile.
AVI Leather A-2 012.JPG

The leather is quite interesting. I believe its goat. I really like the colour, not too dark, not too light, and the mottling gives a good ‘vintagey’ effect. There appears to be an even mix of smooth and grainy areas - overall, the jacket certainly has character and will look pretty good in a short time of wearing without any artificial weathering.
AVI Leather A-2 017.JPG

Also, the leather is buttery soft (as advertised) and it wont take long to mould to the wearer.
Weight-wise its right in the sweet spot. Medium weight, not heavy or bulky nor thin or flimsy.
AVI Leather A-2 036.JPG

All the correct details are there; collar snaps, studs, throat hooks, etc… The Talon zipper is a nice touch. Standard brown Cotton liner and stitching, and a leather hanging loop.
I understand that the components, zippers, snaps etc… are generic, to keep costs down and thats fine for a jacket in this range.
AVI Leather A-2 013.JPG

At the price they are asking, I may even have the knits replaced with something a little more authentic, but as they are, they do the job. I feel that upgrading the knits will bump this jacket up a level… That said, this is a pretty decent version of the classic A-2.
AVI Leather A-2 042.JPG

Fit-wise, and this is just personal… this particular jacket fits ok, but I feel its a touch roomy on me, esp in the body/waist area. I could possibly go one size down, but would then need lengthening on the sleeves. But I always have this issue.
AVI Leather A-2 028.JPG

That said, its a comfy jacket and not restrictive in any sense, the leather ‘gives’ enough to be able to maneuver without needing to be broken in.
This would be great for guys who are a bit broader in the mid section, but still want square shoulders and the classic WW2 aviator look.

SIZE 40 Measurements (approx) - for ref I am 5’10 and weigh 72kgs, trim to thin build
SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 18.75”
ARMPIT TO ARMPIT: 23,5” front and 23,5”+ back
BACK LENGTH FROM COLLAR STAND TO BOTTOM OF WAISTBAND: 26”
SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO END OF CUFF: 26”
Zipper: 23”

An ELC or GW it is not, but its not meant to be. (Bare in mind, at the time of this post, it was a 1/4 of the price of a GW!!!!!)
For the budget conscious, who want a classically detailed A-2, with square shoulders and all the correct bits in all the correct places, its a serious contender.
Patch it, paint it, kick it around, no worries...
Honestly, for what they are asking, I think its a bargain! Hope you found this interesting.
AVI Leather A-2 020.JPG

Technonut

Practically Family
Thanks for the review. I've seen these on eBay, and was wondering what one would look like 'in the flesh'.. It is VERY roomy for a size 40. For comparison, I have a 44" chest, and usually go for a 23.5-24" pit-to-pit measurement for a good fit in an A-2 with a little room for layering.

I know that many are not a stickler for details, but one thing I noticed on AVI's eBay pics were the epaulets placed too far front over the shoulders. It appears that is the case with their pattern. Not something I could live with, but the average Joe probably wouldn't notice..

Decent construction and quality for the price. The color is nice, and I like the slender upper sleeves, as well as the collar... Wear it in good health.. :)

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
A nice jacket, don't know what you paid but if it's an entry level, well we need more like that for those who are not into the total WWII replica market.
yes the knits are not that authentic but if ok for now then a possible replacement in the future would raise this up no doubt.
There are a couple of contracts where the rear of the epaulets are placed on the shoulder seem rather than centered over the shoulder seam. The Doniger(sp) I have is this way and it make one stand with correct posture.

Like this on my Lucky 7 Seven.

P4270006.jpg

pak

One of the Regulars
Correction: re: epaulets: my Doniger is centered and it is my older house model ELC that is this way.

nkang

One of the Regulars
This seems like a very nice jacket for those of us who aren't too focused on WWII authenticity! Besides the typical image of high-quality Danish products, another plus point might be the fame of Nordic design.

D

Deleted member 16736

Nice entry level A2. The leather is not goat as it does not have the pebbly finish. I suspect it made from steer hide.
The website says it's made of "100% premium goatskin," but you're right: it doesn't look it.

nkang

One of the Regulars
Do we know it's made in Denmark?
Great point! I'd say that Danish design doesn't necessarily need to be made in Denmark (like Macbook's classic line of Designed in Cali Made in China). As to whether it's made in Denmark or not, there's nothing in the jacket saying so, so we cannot know for sure. As to the leather, it does feel nice but I am too inexperienced in leather jackets to tell what kind of leather it is.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
It's interesting to see how this jacket looks today after it has already been worn for a while.
How does it weight? 1 kg or more?

Flightengineer

Practically Family
This is very strange, I wrote to them several times by the mail and on the site, I asked for measurements for the A2 jacket size 38 and did not receive any feedback

nkang

One of the Regulars
This is very strange, I wrote to them several times by the mail and on the site, I asked for measurements for the A2 jacket size 38 and did not receive any feedback
They are very slow on communications. I recommend using Amazon to contact them so they have to reply within 48 hours.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Thank you , nkang!
I wrote them a few days ago, there is no answer. I already thought that everything died there)))
Interestingly, they also "quickly" send the paid order ?

Incidentally, they have written on the site literally the following:

"Please contact us if you need our help, we are here to accommodate all your needs. We will immediately address all your concerns and solve the issues promptly".

))))))))))))))))))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points