Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 vs Irvin

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'd go B6 rather than D1 simply because you can put your hands in the pockets more comfortably than the zipper pockets on a D1. My favourite though is the ANJ4, I have an eastman but it does suffer from flaking of the surface finish which seems usual for older Eastman jackets. Again this is over 10 years old, been worn a lot but does not have an original 'look' to the finish.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I switch between the 2 types depending upon what I'm doing.
The B-6 has a bit more "formal" look to me in my opinion. I can wear it business casual as well as on the town.
The D-1 looks great with denim and I wear it as I would a jean jacket.

That said, the B-6 is decidedly longer in the torso. That means backside too! If you're not really in shape, a B-6 can look "considerably less flattering" to those more, shall we say..... pear shaped? :eek:

Last edited:
For me...B3s are great if I'm out in bitter cold for long periods. Since I rarely am..I sold the two I owned and bought an Aero B6 several years ago. I wear it most of the winter. Very happy with it.
Here's a pic...

100_0744.jpg

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Hoosier all I can say is WOW now I am really confused. I like the B6 but am confused between the Eastman and Aero, dont know which one is better, if such a thing exists. Help?

Hey thanks for the compliments!
All I can tell you is that I'm happy with my Aero B6. I like the way it fits..color of the shearling..and that it's not so sweltering as the heavier B3. The day this pic was taken...it was blowing snow outside and probably in the lower 20s. I was wearing a T shirt..and decided to layer up with a sweater. Walking through the town looking in shops..I was quite comfy. After this photo was taken..I had to shed the B6.
In all honesty..I think either the ELC or Aero B6 would serve you well. Compare the prices and keep an eye on the sale pages.
HD

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
One question, when you ordered your B6, did you order one size up knowing you would wear a sweater or did you order true to size? In other words, if I order from Aero my actual size will there be enough room to wear a heavy sweater?

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I'm fortunate enough to own an example of each of these jackets. I have seen or had in my collection a model from each of the major repro players.
Each has its own merits and drawbacks. I can get into detail if you have a specific question. I don't want to prattle on here with pros and cons for info not interested in.
My first question to you, and one you should consider your primary thought in getting a fleece, is where and how do you plan to wear it?
I'm in Wisconsin. We have some fierce winters here and I get good use of my B-3 and Irvin during those months. They are heavy jackets, and if your climate doesn't warrant it, you may find yourself with "too much jacket".

Michael

Arch, I've narrowed it down to a B6, what's your experience with the Aero B6 vs The Eastman B6? Do you see any advantages of one over the other in terms of durability, build quality, repro accuracy, etc...

Thanks

One question, when you ordered your B6, did you order one size up knowing you would wear a sweater or did you order true to size? In other words, if I order from Aero my actual size will there be enough room to wear a heavy sweater?

I ordered my regular size(didn't size up). However..the B-6 is a trimmer more stylish cut than a B-3 or D-1..but does have a bi-swing back. Mine was quite trim through the shoulders when new..but loosened up with wear. I've found that shearling is pretty forgiving about minor tightness with the soft fleece. It will stretch and relax somewhat with wear. I didn't want a baggy looking fleece jacket. My B-3s had more of a puffy appearance with the thicker shearling..and were kinda over-kill for my use.
My B-6 is quite warm without being sweltering heavy. In fact...I think when the picture was taken..was the only time I've ever layered with it(I knew I'd just be strolling along outside in snowy cold weather looking in shops). When I shovel snow from the driveway I only wear a regular shirt with it. In my view..fleece is naturally quite insulating especially if I'm active..and will heat the body up pretty quickly....unless it is super thin.
However..like any jacket..it is best to talk to Aero/ELC to determine fit. Your body shape will have everything to do with it.
HD

Here's a pic to give you an idea of fit when it was brand new....

afb32.jpg

I'm 6'2"...182 lbs.

Last edited:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Arch, I've narrowed it down to a B6, what's your experience with the Aero B6 vs The Eastman B6? Do you see any advantages of one over the other in terms of durability, build quality, repro accuracy, etc...

Thanks
My first impression of the ELC (seal w/ russet trim) I thought WOW! It's what I and a buddy both got. Within a year, the finish looked strange. It didn't flake like an original, it took on a look like crumpled paper.
I have gotten a number of jackets from Aero and the following year was offered one of their standard jackets at a very good deal. I bought it and sold the ELC. I haven't regretted it.
Out of the box the fit and finish were superior to my Eastman experience. The only problem I had was a zipper pull that didn't hold well. It slipped as I walked. Amanda at Aero sent a complete replacement zipper. I just took off the pull and now its fine.
Now, 3 yrs later my Aero looks like you see HD wearing. My buddy's ELC has a more pronounced crumpled look than the first year. If it were 1943 I would say, thats what you get. But when you're spending $700 you don't want a lived in looking jacket.
I have an ELC B-3 redskin that is gorgeous and doesn't suffer like the B-6 does. Maybe its the shearling thickness, I don't know.
I can't speak for ELC's new Roughwear, but its hundreds more. My choice would be the Aero.
As always, call both and get samples.

With sizing, I wear a 42 civy suit (6ft 188 lbs) I have a 42 jacket and it fits very well. I can wear a 5 button sweater under with no binding, but any activity in it, I get warm quick. I usually wear no more than a t-shirt and flannel under it. It is trim fitting so beer bellies will definitely show like a mid trimester woman! :)
We had a mild winter here this year, so it got much more wear and was very comfortable in it.

Last edited:

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Hi Arch, thanks for the advice. I wear a 42 jacket, but definitely like my jackets on the loose fitting, not tight fitting side. Would you recommend sizing up on a B6 ? I am 5'7" weigh about 160lbs and have a 34" waist. Also, I was looking at the Eastman B6 rough wear, but was concnend that with that " aged" finished it might flake or prematurely wear, any thoughts. Otherwise, I will pull the trigger on an Aero.

Thanks

Dave

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I would think you'd be ok w/ a 42. Remember, the B-6 has waist zip adjustments about 6-8" long that will snug up the waist.
I would take into consideration your torso. People that tend to prefer longs or can get away with them, should be able to remain true to their normal jacket size.

Last edited:

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking about getting a fleece jacket too, so I'll be interested to learn what people's thoughts on the matter are. I'm leaning towards a Cirrus - either their B3 Gunners Jacket or their True Bomber Jacket. If anyone knows about those jackets in particular or Cirrus in general, I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

Did you decide ?

nevadapd

Familiar Face
Cirrus has a web site: http://www.flyingjacket.com/ that should give you a reasonable idea what they have to offer.

But, after seeing the discussion here, I find I'm now leaning towards a D-1. Also, Aero has an original for sale (see link below) and I find the minimalist simplicity of the design very appealing. As I'm 6'2'' and a size 50, I'll need to order one in my size from either Aero or Eastman. Does Eastman do special orders btw? On their web site, none of their jackets go above size 48. I think I'd prefer to have it made without pockets like the used one Aero has. Regardless, I'll need to budget for it so it may be awhile before I place an order.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=647

Last edited:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I like the D-1 alot. I consider it more utilitarian tho. A bit more style than a ski jacket.
Yes, ELC as well as Aero do custom jobs. I can't speak for a size your looking for in shearling. I can tell you that Eastman has a tendency to make their patterns bigger than tagged size.
If you send them an email, they respond very quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider