Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backyard barbeques - 'member them?

jkingrph

Practically Family
I wonder what is it used for now. It would be nice to hear it was still being used for producing nicely smoked pieces of meat.

I have not thought of that. At the time, in late 1973, I was one of the younger of the folks involved, and I am pushing 70 now. I know a lot of the older officers and nco's are gone now, the engineer nco had a massive heart attack in early 75 that killed him instantly while helping a neighbor with a stuck car. Honestly most of us have lost touch over the years.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I am going to imagine a new generation of soldiers spending time turning out nicely smoked cuts of meat. :)
I am in contact with only two people I served with but that is okay. We have a good time together.

Renault

One Too Many
Last weekend my cinder block pit had about 6" of water in bottom of it! We've had several feet of rain here this spring and things are a bit soggy! Skeeters are a nightmare too. Havta build a big smoky fire to keep 'em off of Ya! Least you become too anemic and lightheaded while trying to cook!!!;)

Renault

One Too Many

My front yard Sunday a week ago. My cinder block pit is about 40' to the left of frame. The thing on the right that resembles a Venitian canal is the county road under a foot of water. And yes those are trees down in the road too! Lost all power for only about six hours. Crews were busting their tails to get power back up!!!

Last edited:

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer

My front yard Sunday a week ago. My cinder block pit is about 40' to the left of frame. The thing on the right that resembles a Venitian canal is the county road under a foot of water. And yes those are trees down in the road too! Lost all power for only about six hours. Crews were busting their tails to get power back up!!!

Wow! Keep safe as best you can. I understand why there would be no use of the pit.

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks WHW! Last couple of days have been dry and looks like we may have a pretty dry week!!! Got some dead trees down on some fence. But not to bad.

Mebbe I can get back to cooking soon!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Had some severe straight line wind storms here Memorial day late afternoon. We missed all the "fun" as we were over in La. meeting up with a cousin from Nashville. My wife talked to neighbors via cellphone, landlines were totally out. We learned all power was out and water service was out also, so decided to stay until Wed afternoon to return, thinking freezers and refrigerator would be ok for 48 hours and they were. When we got home the side road off us79 to our house was a disaster, trees down and had been across the road, taking utility lines down. We could see lines all over the roads. Around another way, about a mile, 3 poles were snapped off at the ground and half way across the road, No falling trees hit those lines to take them down as there was no cleanup debris present. Pure wind force took those down. I saw one large 20-24" diameter pine snapped off clean about 30 feet up Luckily there was very little property damage, most falling trees missed buildings. 25 miles east in Henderson, they caught a tornado and had about 18 homes destroyed or severely damaged along with all the other damage. At least both areas made it through with no deaths or injuries to my knowledge We are way above average for rainfall for this time of year, but nothing like central Texas, although the ground is so soaked it is easy for winds to push trees over.

I had two big Bradford Pear trees split and one 10" diameter pecan tree completely pushed over, so will try smoking with pear and pecan.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
jkingrph, I am glad to hear you are safe and without harm to yourself. I hope the clean up is not too much of a burden. Stay safe as well.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Thanks,I got it all cleaned up. The tree service finally arrived and finished removing the downed and split tree as well as getting some broken limbs out of the canopy of standing trees. My wrists, hands and thighs are sore from all the holding, pulling, lifting and bending from the last week. Getting old is no fun, just don't bounce back nearly as quick.

My son and his family made it over from Miss. this afternoon. I had put about 15lbs of chicken thighs on the smoker and they came out very tasty and juicy.

Renault

One Too Many
I forgot to mention that I got stuck grilling 500 hot dogs for a very hungry crowd at my son's school a week or so ago. :doh: Does that count? :p

Well I would certainly think so!!!!!

Firing up the old pit tomorrow morning!!!! Found some pork sirloin roasts in freezer from Cosco wifey reminded me we had!!! Pulled pork tomorrow afternoon. I know, I know, I didnt harvest these. But I'm certainly fine with that! Report to follow!

Renault

One Too Many
Pits a-goin'! Started with a little pecan and some mesquite. Got the two roast on. Will throw some sausage snackers on shortly. Rumor is some grandkids are headed this way.

JP, Basil the bbq wonder mutt is currently directing his attention to some of the farm cats. I'll havta keep an clear eye on him that he doesn't decide to have a little too much fun with a kitten!!!

Renault

One Too Many
As you can see Basil and I have positioned ourselves under the shady spreading limbs of the pecan tree here in the back yard.

Arent those little roasts cute??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112