Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Brothers

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have just gotten my boxed set of "BAND OF BROTHERS", the wonderful mini-series based on that wonderful writere Stephen Ambrose (who tragicly died this past year). This was on HBO and lately on the Discovery Channel (yes some of my friends *cringe* taped it), I wanted the DVD's for their unsurpassed video and sound quality.

This has 10 episodes, and includes all special features normally with buying a film on DVD.

If you haven't seen it, it is based upon the true story of Easy Company, the 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborn Division. They were an elite rifle company that parachuted into France on D-Day, faught in the Battle of the Bulge, and ultimately captured the Keilstein Haus (Eagles Nest) which was Hitlers lair in Berchtesgaden. ( I have visited that place and have pictures to prove it!).

If you love WWII movies like "Saving Private Ryan", this is a MUST HAVE. The action, uniforms, weapons, are all as authentic as you can get.

It shows that "War is Hell".

Anyone else really love this film?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
It's a fantastic series. I went thru' the box set myself a few weeks ago for the first time. I thought the main guy was great. "Captain, it's the rank you salute, not the man" was an excellent quote I thought, at the end.

I loved the documentary episode at the end - it was so interesting. The guy who played the Sgt whose leg was amputated did an excellent job of imitation his voice and mannerisms, including the underbite!

I'd recommend it. Expecially with a good sound system or earphones to watch it with.

Hondo

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Own that series myself. Totally love it.

Cheers!

Dan

Like wise Andy, I also own the box set, just haven't had the time to sit through the whole thing, I'm done with first 2 disks. I like the metal ammo box it comes in. I watched "Saving Private Ryan" on Vets Day.
And will try to finish this for Dec. 7th Anniversary of Pearl Habor.

KR

Familiar Face
I also own the boxed set and think it's great! I enjoyed the documentry on when the actors had to go through training.

Great book as well, I've read it a couple of times.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I loved "Band of Brothers." The D-Day scene showing the men on the planes is one of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen.

The "Battle of the Bulge" scenes were harrowing. It had an unflinching look at the war and at the character of the fellows who fought it.

A series so good that even David Schwimmer was excellent!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Ever read the book? Ambrose wrote the book but not the miniseries.

Theres one historical website that takes great issue w/ the miniseries. Points out lots of errors like Blythe,( the kid that went hysterical blind, then got shot inthe neck), didn't die from his wounds.

But really, the miniseries stands head & shoulders above so many other war films. Its really nice to see awarfilm not watered down by corny love interests or melodramatic death scenes.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very realistic

Mr. Bern, as Ed McMahnan told "Johnny" ...YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!

Too many war films show schmucky B.S.

My 14 year old is watching Band of Brothers with me. It truly depicts the horrors of war in a graphic, realistic fashion. He knows it is actors and special effects, but he also is seeing that "War is Hell".

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
There is a certain romance to Ambrose's books as well as SPR & BoB, but they certainly depict the hell of it all.

Incidentally, I thought it was a shame that in Enemy at th Gate, the female snipers were never depicted firing a shot. I know it was based on a real story, but they certainly hollywooded it up. Not a bad movie, but realllyy, those actual ruski female snipers were deadly & prolific. In the movie....not really.

And Windtalkers...what a waste of resources. The address of racism was so unsophisticated. Check out the classic VanJohnson warfilm GoForBroke. Now thats got an interesting take on Japanese-american service men coping w/ rascism.

I'll stop now.:rolleyes:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Battleground

Incidentally, anyone who likes Band of Brothers should check out the 1949 warfilm, BATTLEGROUND. A real Oscar winner.
Another one of those classic VanJohnson warfilms, PLUS you get to see some other bright faces like RICARDO MONTALBAN, & JAmesWhitmore.
Just think, it was made less than 5 years after the actual battles it depicted.

jake431

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
A lot of people take (took) issue with Ambrose himself too.

B
T

His book about the B-24, The Wild Blue (I forget the exact title) was not good, filled with errors and plagarized. Historically, his books tend to be a little sloppy, but as a story teller, he was very good.

-Jake

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
His plagiarisms are the main issue- that and making things up instead of researching. I've read a couple of his books and they're a good enough read.

B
T

I recall seeing him on tv, explaining the problem as a footnote error that was really the publisher's responsibility.

btw, this is the site that takes issues with details of the mini-series.
http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers3.html
enjoy
-bernard

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
critique

OOOPs
apparently I forgot to paste in the link in my previous post.
Here is a website by a historian who has been associating w/ th Easy Co veterans for many years.
He undertakes a serious critique on th mini-series.
Some of it seems like SOURGRAPES for not being involved. But he does point out some interesting stuff, like PvtBlithe, who had hysterical blindness & was later shot inthe neck by a sniper was depicted as eventually dying from his wounds. The link states this was not his fate...
http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers.html

nick1909

Disregarding any questions about Stephen Ambrose's "plagiarism," you must give him credit for capturing an important part of our history, and must applaud HBO for creating a masterful miniseires.
If I were a history teacher, the series would be required viewing for my students.
Here's a site that you may find of interest:
http://www.majordickwinters.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points