Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bandanas: Okay, or dorky?

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I like to wear a bandana tied around my head (in a cute way, I always thought) on very windy days or otherwise bad hair days. I was in bandana wearing oblivion, until one day last week a got pretty much made fun of by my teacher for wearing it. So, I ask you all here... does it look bad to wear a bandana on the head for a casual look? I always thought it was kind of fun and vintage-y, you know, woman goes to work in the factory kind of thing. Now I just feel really self-conscious in general... what else am I doing that is making me look like a freak... is my red lipstick viewed the same way?

Arg.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I have worn bandana's for years. Nothing wrong with it. Wear it with pride! She's probably making fun because she doesn't know how to NOT be one of the rest of the sheep.

ShortClara

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
I have worn bandana's for years. Nothing wrong with it. Wear it with pride! She's probably making fun because she doesn't know how to NOT be one of the rest of the sheep.

Yes! Baaaaah Baaaaah she doesn't understand :)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Bandanas are cute! I wore one in high school once and a kid asked me if I was trying to be a pirate. Of course I said "yes!". :rolleyes:

Who cares what everyone else thinks? For the small handful of people who hate something you wear or do, there will be a million people that like it. And really, all that matters is your opinion anyway.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think my work colleagues have long since accepted that I dress totally not the norm. I wear a bandana a few times a week, and one of the designers photoshopped a picture of Rosie the Riveter so it said "Fleur can do it!", which is now proudly displayed on my desk! :D

Dracca

One of the Regulars
VanillaT said:
I like to wear a bandana tied around my head (in a cute way, I always thought) on very windy days or otherwise bad hair days. I was in bandana wearing oblivion, until one day last week a got pretty much made fun of by my teacher for wearing it. So, I ask you all here... does it look bad to wear a bandana on the head for a casual look? I always thought it was kind of fun and vintage-y, you know, woman goes to work in the factory kind of thing. Now I just feel really self-conscious in general... what else am I doing that is making me look like a freak... is my red lipstick viewed the same way?

Arg.

Pah, wear whatever you like on your head and also whatever color lipstick you like. Just because some teacher doesn't like it, doesn't mean squat....other than the fact that she sounds somewhat unprofessional (I mean unless something is against a school dress code or so, I don't think it is any of her business and also not very nice to make fun of others, especially a student studying under her). As far as what other people think, some will love it probably while others will hate it (which happens with ANY look at all, even current trends) but you know if we all had the same taste, well life would just be boring. :)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Wow! It's terrible your teacher made fun of you. I know how you feel; someone made fun of my rolls once. Pigeon Toe made a good point though, for a small hand full of people who don't like the way you look, there will be millions who love it. I think bandanas are awesome and should be worn with pride. Would your prof make fun of Rosie the Riverter and the millions of women who worked in factories during WWII? How could we have fought the war without amunition and aeroplanes?! Every woman who feels entitled to a secure job and gender equality shoud know that! (Not that women in factories had secure jobs and gender equality but it certainly was a stepping stone.)
P.S. I bet your teacher put less thought and effort into his/her appearance than you did. Grrr! :rage: It makes me sick.

roselily

One of the Regulars
The only thing that I can think of, is bandannas also have hippie and hillbilly connotations, depending on how they are worn and the experience of the teacher. Not that this condones what the teacher said, of course.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
In my experience people make fun of others for two main reasons.
They don't understand something or they wished they had the courage to be different and confident. Who they really want to be but are afraid to be them themselves. I wouldnt be surprised if she went home and tried your look , of course she would never admit it, not even to herself. Wear that bandana with pride !!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear bandanas a lot -- when I'm doing heavy work around the house or at the theatre, I don't want my hair getting in the way, and bandanas are a very convenient way of keeping it neat. And when I get the inevitable "Rosie The Riveter" comments, I just smile and make a muscle.

Teachers haven't changed a bit, I see. When I was in high school, one actually contacted my mother to "express his concern" about the way I dressed. She expressed concern back at him in her customary manner, and we never heard from him again!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I don't think they are dorky. It was really windy today, so I wore one, kerchief style, over my hair. I think it's a cute look myself. I'm sorry to hear of that you were given a hard time.

I did think of one reason for a teacher to have something to say about a bandana in the classroom. Not a reason to poke fun, mind you, but to be concerned. Bandanas can carry a gang affiliation and are often in gang colors. I really don't think that is the issue, but it would be a reason to say something.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Joie, the "gang-affiliation" thing, while true, made me laugh. Not at you, but at the colors of bandanas I have, and trying to picture any of the girls here mistaken for a thug.

"Oh, she's wearing periwinkle! She must run with the Rose Society! I hear they got in a rumble with DAR!"

lol

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Polka dot meggie, I have a giant grape too, So the regular size bandanas I can barely tie in a knot. You can find bigger ones, you just have to look harder than everyone else. ;)

I found some cute ones last year at Target. and I always find some good ones at my local vintage store.

Also, you don't have to wear them to fully cover your head ala Rosie. Often times if my hair is curled, I'll just put some combs in to keep it away from the face and off the neck, and then I
1. fold the square in half to form a triangle.
2. fold the point of the triangle to the middle facing the long line of the triangle (1/3 of the way)
3. Fold the long line of the triangle to cover the point and you should have a long rectangle of a bandana with points on either end.
4.Place middle of rectangle at the nape of your neck and wrap around your hair /head, to cover or slightly cover your ears. and tie at the top.
Looks best of you've pomped the front or have some bangs or curly q's in front

I can do those with the smaller bandanas if I have to. Try it out and let me know what ya think! You might get to use those bandanas you have yet!:D

here are some of mine:
redcurlyq.jpg

SarahRosie.jpg

the b/w has the version I just described, and the other.. well, it's pretty obvious..hee hee I was also 9 months preggo and working at a cafe, hence the apron.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Viola said:
Joie, the "gang-affiliation" thing, while true, made me laugh. Not at you, but at the colors of bandanas I have, and trying to picture any of the girls here mistaken for a thug.

"Oh, she's wearing periwinkle! She must run with the Rose Society! I hear they got in a rumble with DAR!"

lol

lol Quite true!lol

But you gotta watch those girls don'tcha know? They've been known to pack pickle forks! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff