Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barcellino transformation

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
A few days back I bought a Black Barcellino Homburg for a whopping !3.25. I got it today and put it on and it sat almost on top of my head, Way too small, I got my hat stretcher and cranked it tight, steamed it and cranked some more, let it set till it cooled and now it fits. I took off the bound edge, ironed the brim flat, it now measures 3 1/4 inches. I cut it down to 2 5/8ths, I get the steam going on it again and reshape the brim and crown and now it doesn't look like the same hat. It closely resembles the Last Crusade hat Indy wore without a dimensional cut. The crown is very straight sided with a nice swoop to the brim. The felt is fairly stiff but pretty dense, and better quality than an Akubra, but not as good as an older stetson.

When I first got it I thought "Oh well it was only 13 bucks" but with about an hours play time with it, it turned out to be a decent looking hat and while it definitly isn't a Borsalino quality hat, it stil beats anything new.

I finally have a Black work hat with a wide brim and a high crown that has "The Look".

I thought I'd share this transformation experience, as many hats like this could end up in the trash pile but with a little work they can have years and years of life left.

fedoralover

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:
A few days back I bought a Black Barcellino Homburg for a whopping !3.25. I got it today and put it on and it sat almost on top of my head, Way too small, I got my hat stretcher and cranked it tight, steamed it and cranked some more, let it set till it cooled and now it fits. I took off the bound edge, ironed the brim flat, it now measures 3 1/4 inches. I cut it down to 2 5/8ths, I get the steam going on it again and reshape the brim and crown and now it doesn't look like the same hat. It closely resembles the Last Crusade hat Indy wore without a dimensional cut. The crown is very straight sided with a nice swoop to the brim. The felt is fairly stiff but pretty dense, and better quality than an Akubra, but not as good as an older stetson.

When I first got it I thought "Oh well it was only 13 bucks" but with about an hours play time with it, it turned out to be a decent looking hat and while it definitly isn't a Borsalino quality hat, it stil beats anything new.

I finally have a Black work hat with a wide brim and a high crown that has "The Look".

I thought I'd share this transformation experience, as many hats like this could end up in the trash pile but with a little work they can have years and years of life left.

fedoralover

Sounds like a good find. Enjoy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points