Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batman the Animated Series

Atomic

One of the Regulars
RIP Mr. Zimbalist.

BTAS is my quintessential Batman. I love the movies, but I was watching the Animated Series regularly as a kid, and then ended up buying the DVD set. I still throw it on from time to time.

Whenever I read a comic of Batman, I only hear Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamilton voices. Those two will forever be my Batman and Joker.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I already linked to this new Batman video in post #4 - in fact, that's why I revived this old thread!

But hey, it's awesome enough to list twice.

After having owned all the original Fox Kids! B:TAS DVDs for a decade, I recently picked up the set covering the batch that ran a few years later as part of the New Batman/Superman Adventures on Kids WB!. I have never been fond of its stripped-down character redesigns and focus on kid Robin and Batgirl - the quintessential Batman works alone. But given the writing and voice talent continuity, there are still some great episodes there (Over The Edge, Old Wounds, Mad Love). I watched some with my daughter this weekend when I brought her home from college...

BTW, Benzadmiral - the Joker has a wild Thompson gun-firing sequence in Old Wounds.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The 75th anniversary one of Batman Beyond is pretty cool, too.

[video=youtube;z65aq1EVGhs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z65aq1EVGhs[/video]

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Batman TAS was a retro project in animation. the bible for the show was to do it Max Fleischer style and they use 3 or 4 studios one TMS was the one that turn out Akira.

Rule was Start in Black and work to color. which give that dark Film Noir look and classic Max Fleischer along with that filming was done in the same styles and some of it was done in updated for computer age. but they did much of the show by hand as it was done by Fleischer studios.. Got to meet the artist and a convention and talk abut the style and the rules set give to make the show. They had list films for ever animator to watch plus the classic serials. But the movies of that time were to be ignored.
Wish they could kept the show going it was just a pleasure to watch.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I found it on Amazon Prime Instant Video.
And I agree, it was/is a pleasure to watch.

Meeting the artist must have been a real honor. :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No, it was just done recently as part of the Batman 75 celebration, though it was made by Bruce Timm, one of the guiding lights behind B:TAS (and Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League, and many direct-to-DVD DC animated projects).

A retro Batman feature or series in this style would be awesome! Not that B:TAS itself isn't outstanding and brilliant...

No, it was just done recently as part of the Batman 75 celebration, though it was made by Bruce Timm, one of the guiding lights behind B:TAS (and Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League, and many direct-to-DVD DC animated projects).

A retro Batman feature or series in this style would be awesome! Not that B:TAS itself isn't outstanding and brilliant...

Thank you - I have Time Warner Cable and Netflix streaming, do you happen to know my best way to see B:TAS as Netflix streaming doesn't have it yet?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
B-TAS is on Netflix as is Batman Beyond, Justice League (both series) and Superman TAS. Netflix is a good way to go.

Worf

Last edited:
It was there but it might have succumbed in Nflix last "purge", if it's not there my bad. It might be on Amazon prime, but their streaming sux.

Worf

No problem, I glad you mentioned the "purge" as I, too, noticed several things that were available have gone away. Oh well, in the next five or so years - and for a price - it will all be available on streaming.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Nice interview with Kevin Conroy about his long tenure voicing Batman, on the release of the direct-to-DVD animated adaptation of The Killing Joke (one of the most influential Joker stories ever, written by the brilliant - if nuts - Alan Moore [V For Vendetta, Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.]), reuniting him with also-definitive Mark Hamill as the Joker:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/a...the-killing-joke-kevin-conroy-alan-moore.html

I read the original graphic novel a long time ago: it is an extremely disturbing take on the Joker, but it's brilliant. This is the first DC animated film to be rated R, so it looks like they're not pulling any punches.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Nice interview with Kevin Conroy about his long tenure voicing Batman, on the release of the direct-to-DVD animated adaptation of The Killing Joke (one of the most influential Joker stories ever, written by the brilliant - if nuts - Alan Moore [V For Vendetta, Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.]), reuniting him with also-definitive Mark Hamill as the Joker:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/a...the-killing-joke-kevin-conroy-alan-moore.html

I read the original graphic novel a long time ago: it is an extremely disturbing take on the Joker, but it's brilliant. This is the first DC animated film to be rated R, so it looks like they're not pulling any punches.
I flatter myself that I spotted Kevin Conroy as way above average (though I never imagined him as Batman!) in the mid-1980s, when he was a regular on the daytime soap Search for Tomorrow. SfT was the only soap back then that seemed to use actors and actresses who were attractive but less "Hollywood-perfect," and even featured recurring roles for older, long-time cast members. Anyway, Conroy struck me as memorable. When I saw his name on the B:TAS credits and heard his voice, I thought it a great match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points