Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTER UP!

The Astros have this beauty in their stable:
26318134965_04bf8c0613_o.jpg

Sure wish they'd wear than one.

As for 2017...it's a new series. Think this one comes down to the wire

"Here come the Astros, breathing orange fire...Go Go Astros!

It would be nice if after an outstanding play to end a team's at bat, the drive to force as many commercials in as possible didn't cause the networks to either rush the replay before the commercial or rush it after the commercial and before the next play (or, worse, ignore it altogether or go back to it three pitches later when the continuity is off).

We all get that this is a money making enterprise and the networks pay a lot to broadcast these games, but they then wonder why viewership periodically falls off when it is their own fault for trying to squeeze every opening possible for commercials even to the detriment of one of TV's advantages - the ability to analyze an amazing play in detail immediately after it happens.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Astros have this beauty in their stable:
26318134965_04bf8c0613_o.jpg

Sure wish they'd wear than one.

As for 2017...it's a new series. Think this one comes down to the wire

"Here come the Astros, breathing orange fire...Go Go Astros!

Always loved that uniform -- a very classic, classy look. The orange version was a bit Creamsicle, but the original was outstanding. I especially liked that the lettering was chainstitch embroidery - a very distinctive look that few teams have attempted.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It would be nice if after an outstanding play to end a team's at bat, the drive to force as many commercials in as possible didn't cause the networks to either rush the replay before the commercial or rush it after the commercial and before the next play (or, worse, ignore it altogether or go back to it three pitches later when the continuity is off).

We all get that this is a money making enterprise and the networks pay a lot to broadcast these games, but they then wonder why viewership periodically falls off when it is their own fault for trying to squeeze every opening possible for commercials even to the detriment of one of TV's advantages - the ability to analyze an amazing play in detail immediately after it happens.

It's very instructive to watch recordings of early TV World Series coverage -- while by the '70s they were taking 90 second commercial breaks between innings, there was none of the relentless in-game vending that you get nowadays. They didn't even always break away during pitching changes -- if the game situation was close they'd usually keep with the broadcast and let the announcers discuss the implications of the change rather than trying to sell you a Dodge Charger or a bucket of KFC.

Things changed for the worse when ABC got the World Series contract away from NBC in 1976 -- they spent a lot of money for the package and had to recover the expense by overselling it, and things have been getting worse ever since.

Radio coverage is just as bad today. As I'm typing this I'm transferring a White Sox-Tigers game from 1979 off a reel-to-reel tape, and even that late they're still just taking sixty-second breaks between innings, with almost no in-game plugging. Compare that to now, when even the umpire sweeping off the plate requires a sponsor plug.

By the way, listening to this broadcast makes me wonder yet again how Jimmy Piersall managed to broadcast for as long as he did without being punched in the mouth.

In Canada we have the US feed with Buck and the other guy but every two or three innings we get commentary from Greg Zaun and Justin Morneau. It is great. Wonderful succinct insight into pitching and hitting from a catcher and a former premier hitter.

It's very instructive to watch recordings of early TV World Series coverage -- while by the '70s they were taking 90 second commercial breaks between innings, there was none of the relentless in-game vending that you get nowadays. They didn't even always break away during pitching changes -- if the game situation was close they'd usually keep with the broadcast and let the announcers discuss the implications of the change rather than trying to sell you a Dodge Charger or a bucket of KFC.

Things changed for the worse when ABC got the World Series contract away from NBC in 1976 -- they spent a lot of money for the package and had to recover the expense by overselling it, and things have been getting worse ever since.

Radio coverage is just as bad today. As I'm typing this I'm transferring a White Sox-Tigers game from 1979 off a reel-to-reel tape, and even that late they're still just taking sixty-second breaks between innings, with almost no in-game plugging. Compare that to now, when even the umpire sweeping off the plate requires a sponsor plug.

By the way, listening to this broadcast makes me wonder yet again how Jimmy Piersall managed to broadcast for as long as he did without being punched in the mouth.

I recorded last night's game and watched it early this morning (avoiding all sports news in between). Hence, I fast forwarded through all commercials and the game took 2 hours and 5 minutes to watch versus the nearly 4 hours that I recorded. That is utterly ridiculous - it's an almost one-to-one ratio (to be fair, I fast forwarded through some of the chatter, so it wasn't all commercials, but mostly, that I past by).

And to your point, there's all this annoying in-game vending that you note. I'm tempted to do the same tonight - record the game and then get up early to watch it tomorrow versus staying up late and suffering through all the commercials.

I get it, they need to make money and I'm fine with that, but what they don't seem to understand is that technology and other entertainment options is causing their obnoxious machinations to maximize every single commercial opportunity to undermine the long term health of the fan base (and the ''eyeballs" they sell to their commercial buyers).

I recorded last night's game and watched it early this morning (avoiding all sports news in between). Hence, I fast forwarded through all commercials and the game took 2 hours and 5 minutes to watch versus the nearly 4 hours that I recorded. That is utterly ridiculous - it's an almost one-to-one ratio (to be fair, I fast forwarded through some of the chatter, so it wasn't all commercials, but mostly, that I past by).

And to your point, there's all this annoying in-game vending that you note. I'm tempted to do the same tonight - record the game and then get up early to watch it tomorrow versus staying up late and suffering through all the commercials.

I get it, they need to make money and I'm fine with that, but what they don't seem to understand is that technology and other entertainment options is causing their obnoxious machinations to maximize every single commercial opportunity to undermine the long term health of the fan base (and the ''eyeballs" they sell to their commercial buyers).
That too is my practice now. I PVR the game and watch it later. Sometimes just giving the live broadcast an hour head start. The risk is that I will read or see a feed that gives the score so the closer to real time I watch the delay the less risky it becomes. Turns that 3+ hours into about 2 hours and saves the pain of the commercials that the general blathering on by the broadcast "talent".......who I need to acknowledge a bit as they are waaay better than McCarver used to be. But getting paid to broadcast the obvious is one hell of an easy gig.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

I always record when viewing a channel saturated with commercials.
About an hour into it, I start watching.
I usually never catch up to “live” because I have a habit of rewinding
and watching a favorite play, sometimes in slow- motion mode to see
my own version of a replay.

With the exception of the NY Yankees pin stripe classic uniform, I prefer
the grey visiting uniform colors regardless of the team.

Although for me it’s always been
"The 1927 New York Yankees...

and then the rest!

:)

Last edited:
This World Series is absolutely unbelievable and, even though I have no real preference, it's emotionally exhausting.

Nothing that hasn't been written about all season, but I am not a fan of the home run dominance of the present game - I liked when there where more singles, doubles, etc. and more base running and strategy in play.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
This World Series is absolutely unbelievable and, even though I have no real preference, it's emotionally exhausting.

Nothing that hasn't been written about all season, but I am not a fan of the home run dominance of the present game - I liked when there where more singles, doubles, etc. and more base running and strategy in play.

Sabremetric Billy Bean moneyball swing for-the-fences dominate, while the small stuff seem to be in disrepute with the in house Analytics number crunchers.
The well timed bunt has fallen into some obscurity and base theft is smack up against the instant replay. And some umpires like to intrude upon tactics; or expand the strike zone...even during the World Series....
-----
Heads rolled into the sawdust last week at Wrigley Field; all coaching staff skulls supposedly home plate safe by earlier managerial decree....
All pale beside Joe's New York cut. What are the Yankees thinking?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I’m just the opposite with regards to “home runs”.... I always think of the
Bambino.
I love to see the reaction of the crowds and the players as they go into their
euphoric rituals after a home-run is made.
Does not matter which team, I feel
happy for them.
But feel sad at the end for the loosing
team as well.
It’s refreshing to watch a world series
of this caliber.

Last edited:
Sabremetric Billy Bean moneyball swing for-the-fences dominate, while the small stuff seem to be in disrepute with the in house Analytics number crunchers.
The well timed bunt has fallen into some obscurity and base theft is smack up against the instant replay. And some umpires like to intrude upon tactics; or expand the strike zone...even during the World Series....
-----
Heads rolled into the sawdust last week at Wrigley Field; all coaching staff skulls supposedly home plate safe by earlier managerial decree....
All pale beside Joe's New York cut. What are the Yankees thinking?

The strike zone last night seemed to have an elastic and somewhat inconsistent definition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112