Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beaver Brand Hats, gone?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Very interesting!! I'm sure there will be many hatters making a trip down there. I spoke to one of the major factories here and they aren't interested in the machinery. I hope it stays here in the USA. Anybody going to the auction.?

RBH

Bartender
It's hot here!!!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374342886472.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374342886472.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,523

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
So what is the Major buying and who else is there. give us the dirt. They should have a bunch of our hat liners that we paid for there kicking around too.

Jeff

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I spoke to a fellow hatter who went down to the auction today. He told me that most of the "good stuff" was already sold off over the past few months. I guess we will here about what was left over shortly.

TomS

One Too Many
I just saw some blocks from the auction on ebay. The seller indicated he got them at the auction...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
How do you do, gentlemen. I'm actually not as new as I may look. I have had a profile some years now, but I'm ashamed to say, that I haven't been contributing. I have been reading a lot, but now must be the time to start giving something back to this fantastic community :)

I do not hope I have chosen the wrong thread for my 'debute'. I have quite different experiences with Beaver Brand, than I have read here - and I certainly don't hope, I offend any feelings by telling my story.

In April 2010 I bought a customized Beaver Brand hat from TheFedoraStore. A banker grey fedora in silk-finish - C-crown - 4' (3/8") brim binding in steel - 19' (1 3/4") crown ribbon in dark steel with a 'contrast-bow' (inner-tail and small knot detail in steel).

When I received it, the crown had a very clear crease or ridge in the back, just above the ribbon. Probably from a stretcher or band block. I found that quite annoying, as the sweat and it's execution also was rather disappointing.

After a little over a year the break line was floating down the back of my neck. The snap in the back looked like the gutter, I pour my 'used beers' into at my local blues club. No kidding! The brim actually looked like it was flanged over a helix!

After two years the brim binding had faded from steel grey to something between beige and salmon. The contrast details in the bow/knot turned the same color. Or rather: The visible (sun exposed) areas of the contrast details turned the same color.

At the time I didn't have a suitable sewing machine with a walking foot, so I just cut of the binding - reducing the width from 2 3/4" to 2 5/8". Though not the original intention, a working solution. I re-flanged the brim and changed the crown ribbon to a vintage 19' dark steel grosgrain - also with contrasting details.

All in all I have an okay beater, that I paid a little over $250 for (plus the $40 in shipping - and 30% in customs and Danish VAT of the price incl. shipping. I'm used to the latter, though) :(

A couple of years ago I therefore decided, that I had bought three BB-hats: My first - my last - and my very only! I'm so sorry to say, but I have never handled or owned such a lousy hat. Not before - not since.

Anyway, I'm very well aware, that BB used to make great hats back in the day. I know, cause I've handled a few. On the other hand I can't say, that the one I bought in 2010 came even close to that standard - or any standard for that matter.

To end this long 'essay', I will just stress two things:

1) I never abuse my hats. The BB had never been in a real shower. It had just been in two very light 'drippings' and it was dried in a proper manner.

2) I would never(!) hold TheFedoraStore responsible for the poor quality. I'm sure he sold the hat in the best of faith, and it's impossible to forecast, when a ribbon will begin to fade, when you don't know it's origin, type of dying (yarn-dyed or not, dye quality, and so on) and history.

When I saw the headline of this thread, I didn't wonder at all. As the sum of comments grew, I had to look quite wide to find the guts to write my story, though. Now, please don't shoot the messenger-boy ;)

majormoore

Vendor
Just rolled back into home, it was a wonderful trip for me, I got two finger blockers, if and when you find one for sale with the brass rings, they start around $10,000.00 . I did not pay that for mine, but if I were to sale one, that is what it would take. Picked up a moter driven table top brim cutter, other parts to keep my three brim curling machines I am rebuilding to last another 75 plus years. And ribbon I think to go from here to the moon and back, and about 300 hat blocks.
My back is killing me of all the boxes of stuff I bought and several of my friends that own two huge hat plants here in the USA load up all the equipment they both bought for thier hat plants.

I have the truck full , plus the trailer packed full. It will take me about two weeks to go through the ribbon, and get all the colors and widths in order and on the shelfs in the warehouse.
I will be moving the big brim puller that can pull brims 6" plus in the back shop in about three weeks have to move some things and make room, will hook the boiler I have for it up at that time.

I am very happy with all the wonderful hat equipment and ribbon that I was able to buy this weekend.
Major Moore
Buckaroo Hatters

Last edited:

majormoore

Vendor
Yes I was there in Feb of this year and bought several hat equipment items as did Winchester Hats to us in the plant that they have.

There was a 100s of hat equipment still left for the sale this past Sat.

I could not be more happy than I am right now.

Major Moore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points