Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beaver Brand Hats

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
As to the ongoing debate over the quality (or lacking thereof) of BB hats, well I've "won" a western style one on the bay, said to be from the 1980's or older, and as soon as I've received it, I'll be adding my two (euro)cents.
Paul

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
One of the very first fedoras that I purchased was a Beaver Brand in a little shop in Virginia City, Nevada. It's built similar to many of my vintage lids that I now have but I don't think as durable as the vintage. Still it is a nice looking hat that is very wearable even in the snow as that is what I used it for out in Nevada. It did keep the noggin warm while surveying in the snow.
As far as beaver content is concerned I'm not sure, but it is stamped 6X. Anyway I would rate it as a good working mans hat, but it can be dressy as it has brim binding.

Cheers!

Dan

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
The Beaver Hats hat I won on the bay arrived today.
New condition, even though qualified "vintage" (possibly 1980's). "Ten x quality", "Belgium" color (a foggy light-brown). A very nice hat, 4-inch brim with a high crown. The lateral parts of the brim are rolled in a very nice curl, adding a touch of southern charm. The hat is quite "hard", meaning plenty shellac appears to have been liberally applied to what appears a good quality and dense felt. The finish of the sweatband and the interior lining are carefully done. I'm pleased with this $40 (plus shipping and belgian customs clearance $16) acquisition, much better (and less costly) than the brand-new $99+costs "Justin" 6x I bought last month. Hats like these are impossible to find on the Belgian market, I must admit there is hardly a market for them: most western hats on belgian 2nd hand sites are of the "mardi-gras" variety, wool-felt at the very best, and (half?)-decent quality new fur-felt ones cost $200-300 range in the sole serious western shop in Brussels.
I now await arrival of the 1940-ish nutria fur kettle boss raw edge J.B. Stetson Philadelphia which safely arrived at my Virginia correspondent. This is a top hat, I expect!
Paul

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
I bought an "Amish Hat" that was beaver brand off ebay. the brim was right around 4 1/2 in. and the crown 6 in. I got it on ebay for a steal, 5X fur felt. I trimmed the brim and put in a "multi-facet" diamond bash....alas, my digital camera is broken, instead of getting a new one, I buy more hats....:eusa_doh:

great hat though.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I have one Beaver Brand hat from who knows how long ago. It is, or originally was, a light tan/buff color. Pictures someday. Probably sold in the 70s. Got it cheap from EB a while back as a project since it was offered in a crumpled condition. I have reblocked it, replaced the wierd felt band and buckle with a simple leather one and replaced the sweatband. Also removed the liner as it has been my beaver felt beater since I got it. My girlfriend calls it a "fly fishing hat" because it reminds her of the ones the characters wore in "A River Runs Through It".

I put this thing through the worst treatment. Construction work on old houses, yardwork in the Florida summer heat, working on my truck, downpours...you name it. Nice to have one I don't worry about - in fact, the dirtier it gets the cooler it is. And it hasn't lost any snap or shape for all the abuse, even with a raw edge brim.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
...I put this thing through the worst treatment.
...the dirtier it gets the cooler it is

Every hat-lover should have one of these kind of hats.
There's perfection, immaculate, and there's the state of perfection, unforeseeable, unexpected, earned through...time...nothing one does can plan this status in advance, as it would be destined to fail. I might add such hats are very personal (and -in my view- should remain so lol )
Pablo

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
AND HERE IT IS...

As it was when I bought it. lol
da8c_1.jpg

d8c5_1.jpg

And as now...
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
thefedorastore said:
Thanks for the kind words, Sir. FYI, we are in the midst of our move to Custer, SD (much sooner than ever anticipated). After April 14th, when I get settled, we will put a large selection of BB hats on sale again. These are ready to ship, no waiting, but also no customization. Regards...
When will this sale begin?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I had not worn my Beaver Brand hat in a long time until recently.
I put it on this week and...wow. I forgot how much I liked this hat.
Any more sales on the horizon? I want another one of these in another color!

AEH

One of the Regulars
Beaver Brand or Beaver Hats?

PabloElFlamenco said:
The Beaver Hats hat I won on the bay arrived today.
New condition, even though qualified "vintage" (possibly 1980's). "Ten x quality", "Belgium" color (a foggy light-brown). A very nice hat, 4-inch brim with a high crown ...
Paul

Is "Beaver Brand" and "Beaver Hats" the same thing? Last Christmas I took some pictures of my brother-in-law's "Bever Hats" hat. The only 100% beaver fur felt I have touched, a superb tactile experience. He bought the hat in the early 70's here in Trondheim, Norway, and it was produced in the US for a hat shop in Trondheim. This is certainly a high quality hat.
The pictures are a bit blury, perhaps due to some refreshments :)

alf.jpg

alf1.jpg

alf_2.jpg

alf_3.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
8X OR

thefedorastore said:
For those that asked to be informed, There is a number of in-stock beaver brand products back on the website that are nicely discounted. I acquired these from a fellow hat vendor, and they are substantially less that the custom order hats. Hope everyone is well.

Does that OR 8x have the option of a slight roll as opposed to the medium roll pictured?

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
AEH asked...
is "Beaver Brand" and "Beaver Hats" the same thing?

I don't really know...
Look at the first picture, that's the original box of my Beaver Hats western hat. I include some pictures (30 minutes old).
Who's got a picture of the "Beaver Brand" logo?

002-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

...not original leather hatband I bought from an internet shop in Durango, Colorado...

007.jpg

The hat is very light in weight. Stiff as cardboard. Yet, I believe this is very good felt (marked 10X). It's not by any means my favorite hat, because the style is -in my view- very 1980's soft pudding western, très passé...

Paul

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
PabloElFlamenco said:
AEH asked...
is "Beaver Brand" and "Beaver Hats" the same thing?

I don't really know...
Look at the first picture, that's the original box of my Beaver Hats western hat. I include some pictures (30 minutes old).
Who's got a picture of the "Beaver Brand" logo?

Paul

Beaver Brand Hats is (or was) in control of the trade mark (that image that is on the box that you have shown), they have used it on their sweatbands. The image on their liners is a different beaver. I own two of their hats, both are marked with the two different beavers

barrowjh

One Too Many
I'll certainly vouch for BB quality, and just yesterday recommended a BB version of the OR called a 'river runner' but sold by Helmer at this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37816
Which option would a person choose on thefedorastore site to chase one of these? Helmer indicates it can be obtained in a light green - thefedorastore does not presently show that color. Anyway, for under $120, that looks like a darned fine OR/Strat clone, and you're not going to beat BB quality for 'factory' made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk