Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff Trialmaster Pro identification?

Jeff C.

New in Town
Recent ebay purchase and I'm getting conflicting information with my online research. I think I have some facts about the origins of my jacket, but I'd like to hear from others who are knowledgeable about these very cool vintage Belstaffs. Thanks.
Belstaff.jpg
Belstaff 3.jpg

Attachments

• Belstaff 2.jpg
    Belstaff 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,541
  • Belstaff 1.jpg
    Belstaff 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,751

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are a couple of guys over at the filmjackets.com forums that are first class experts in IDing belstaff jackets.

If you can get yourself registered and post over there, that would be your best bet.

Not sure how easy that will be these days, I'm not sure how active the admin guy Rick is these days in approving new members etc and the forum has died off lot from a few years ago....still if you can get in, I'd say that is probably the best resource for belstaff info in the world.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Its kind of odd it has the one era of their logo embossed on the buttons, seem to recall from the late 80s early 90s for that, and then the T logo on the label which I know they used earlier and then again since.

Could the inside label be a new addition perhaps - it does look pretty much brand new from the photo?

Jeff C.

New in Town
There are a couple of guys over at the filmjackets.com forums that are first class experts in IDing belstaff jackets.

If you can get yourself registered and post over there, that would be your best bet.

Not sure how easy that will be these days, I'm not sure how active the admin guy Rick is these days in approving new members etc and the forum has died off lot from a few years ago....still if you can get in, I'd say that is probably the best resource for belstaff info in the world.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen some older posts concerning vintage Belstaffs on here and I'm hoping some of these members run across my question. I'm assuming Sydney under your icon is Sydney, Australia. There's a jacket that looks like mine on ebay right now that appears brand new and it's tag looks like the one on mine. However, the fasteners are copper burnished, and the tag states, Made in Australia. I wonder if it is a Driza Bone?

Jeff C.

New in Town
Its kind of odd it has the one era of their logo embossed on the buttons, seem to recall from the late 80s early 90s for that, and then the T logo on the label which I know they used earlier and then again since.

Could the inside label be a new addition perhaps - it does look pretty much brand new from the photo?

Lofielectric, the best info I can come up with at this time, gleaned from internet research, is the jacket is a late, Longton, England jacket made is the late 80s or early 90s, before Belstaff moved to Italy. It appears these Phoenix fasteners first appeared in the early 60s, but must have reappeared later, also. The jacket has a great vintage patina. The reason it looks so new in the picture, is because I had just put a light coat of wax on it, the day I took the pictures, and had it hanging out in the sun to dry. Looking closely at the jacket, nothing appears altered to me. The picture I took of the Talon zipper didn't come out too well. I read online that Belstaff switched over to YKK zippers exclusively, in the 70s, so the Talon zipper is yet another puzzlement for me.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I wasn't suggesting the jacket was new, just that the square 'genuine product' part of the label inside looks new and out of period to the rest of the jacket, its also one thats always showing up on modern fakes, maybe its not and just very well preserved but I wonder if the original label was worn off or damaged and someone got hold of one of those and had it stitched on.

I'm no expert but I've seen a lot of there jackets and its not something I've seen before on one of that era. Certainly that style, and seeing the Velcro on the collar instead of the buckle was quite popular in the 80s.

Last edited:

Jeff C.

New in Town
Lofi, I couldn’t even say, with any degree of certainty whatever, even what model my jacket is. The picture of the jacket from ‘The Modicum’ identifies it as ‘late 80s/early 90s Roadmaster Pro. My jacket looks precisely like this jacket, sans patches or any needle marks I would associate with patches, other than some stitch holes in the upper right arm, where I assume the typical Belstaff logo patch was removed. The pictures lifted from the jacket listed on eBay clearly shows the tag confirming this jacket is a Trialmaster Pro and it does appear to look very much like my jacket, dimension wise. I do hope it's ok to just randomly pluck pictures online the way I just did. I'm sure somebody will inform me if I'm blowing it here.

Attachments

• with_patches_12.jpg
    with_patches_12.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Austrailian Trialmaster 1.jpg
    Austrailian Trialmaster 1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • Australian Trialmaster Pro.jpg
    Australian Trialmaster Pro.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 1,418

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Thats interesting, well found.

Maybe it was just a cross over jacket then, with one era logo to the snaps and another on the jacket - or a way for them to keep the traditional look whislt adding on their other branding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk