Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bent Brim

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I just received a new hat. The brim is bent in multiple places - it's wavy pretty much all the way around. And isn't very stiff. I just recently purchased another hat of the same model in a different color. That hat arrived in perfect condition.

What would make the brim do this? Is there any way to fix the brim so that it's not all bent & wavy?

I've contacted the store and received an RMA number to return it. But it took a week and a half to get it. I figure it will be another 2-3 weeks before I get the replacement. They don't do refunds - only exchanges or store credits.

I'm quite happy with the brown one. But this black one - not so much.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just received a new hat. The brim is bent in multiple places - it's wavy pretty much all the way around. And isn't very stiff. I just recently purchased another hat of the same model in a different color. That hat arrived in perfect condition.

What would make the brim do this? Is there any way to fix the brim so that it's not all bent & wavy?

I've contacted the store and received an RMA number to return it. But it took a week and a half to get it. I figure it will be another 2-3 weeks before I get the replacement. They don't do refunds - only exchanges or store credits.

I'm quite happy with the brown one. But this black one - not so much.

I wonder why they would have shipped it out that way? I only hope the result was caused by shipping. It's hard to believe that a reptuable mail-order outfit would send out something guaranteed to be unsatisfactory.

fmw

One Too Many
Since you bought it from an on line store, the right thing to do is return it and have it replaced.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Bent Brim Pics

Here are a few pics I snapped with my phone before boxing it up for return.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I wonder why they would have shipped it out that way? I only hope the result was caused by shipping. It's hard to believe that a reptuable mail-order outfit would send out something guaranteed to be unsatisfactory.

That's what I asked them when I called - "How could you have sent out a hat that looks like this? Don't you inspect each item when you box it?" To be honest, it looks like something that someone else had returned - after mangling it. And the size is either mislabeled, or someone put a hat stretcher in it. The first one I bought is a little snug. This one is at least one full size too big.

None of this is damage from shipping - the box is in perfect condition..

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's what I asked them when I called - "How could you have sent out a hat that looks like this? Don't you inspect each item when you box it?" To be honest, it looks like something that someone else had returned - after mangling it. And the size is either mislabeled, or someone put a hat stretcher in it. The first one I bought is a little snug. This one is at least one full size too big.

None of this is damage from shipping - the box is in perfect condition..

Obviously, too much autonomy for the personnel in the "mail order department."

Brando11

A-List Customer
I've had good results several times laying a towel on the kitchen counter, laying a hat on the towel, folding the towel over a section of brim so it rides up just a bit over the base of the crown and steam-ironing around the brim through the towel.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
It should be fur felt.

Maybe they sent the wrong hat.

My brown hat feels stiff - like it's made of cardboard. This black hat doesn't. It's soft everywhere, like there's nothing "in" it to give it a shape.

I've never owned a wool felt hat, so I have no reference to compare it to.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Fur felt just needs to be steamed. Once you start wearing fur felt hats you need to start learning how fix the brim on a hat and keep it cleaned. Brushes and a portable steamer are items need to take care of your hats.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Fur felt just needs to be steamed. Once you start wearing fur felt hats you need to start learning how fix the brim on a hat and keep it cleaned. Brushes and a portable steamer are items need to take care of your hats.

I thought you used steam to soften the hat so you can shape it. The problem with this hat is that it needs just the opposite - it won't hold a shape. Like it's got no bones, just skin. Like a boneless chicken. It just lays there, shapeless.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I thought you used steam to soften the hat so you can shape it. The problem with this hat is that it needs just the opposite - it won't hold a shape. Like it's got no bones, just skin. Like a boneless chicken. It just lays there, shapeless.

Basically steam reactivates the stiffener in the felt. It's not so much that it makes the felt any softer, just easier to work with and then when it "sets" it should hold its shape better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112