Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I saw this for you Georgia Dawg fans.:D

HollyUga.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I have two, a Beret Basque union made in the U.S.of A. which I purchased a few years ago and the other was born the same year I was (1952) from Luton Knitting Mills Co. Ltd. that I bought from an army/navy store in 1968. Sure wish I took a little better care on the Luton. I gotta learn to post pics.

NonEntity

Suspended
theprofessor said:
dear nonentity,

have you seen the selection at shushans.com, and what does your expertise recommend?

Their Basque Wool Beret Style No. 51 appears to be top notch, but the pics are small and not that clear, so I can't get a read on whether the label is sewn to the lining, if the lining is full or partial, or if the band is real leather or maybe bonded leather.

Hoquy's were discussed previously, and for the same reasons, I can't tell which model this is.

One thing is for sure--their prices are very high. Keep in mind that Shushans is located right there in New Orlean's Jackson Square--a major tourist area--so high prices are par for the course.

If not deterred by the prices, before ordering, I'd call the place and have the person fetch the exact beret(s) you're interested in and then ask the key questions to determine if it's exactly what you want.

Erik

One of the Regulars
Alas, after several brawls I've forsworn berets. It's been a 12 years or so, so maybe... No, not yet. Maybe in a few decades, when I'll be old enough to let pass by no mater what I choose to wear.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
By request -

A member pm'd me a couple of days back, requesting pictures of the super lujo Elosegui. Have to say, I'm not sure mine is super lujo or not - more about that to follow - but think it may be.

I got another one in blue a few months ago, 12.25 inch diameter, from that guy in Seattle. So I'm posting the pictures here, for reference. Color rendition in the pics is a little lighter than in real life - it's really a pretty straight navy blue.

I'm going to write the Seattle source, seeing if he might supply some in smaller sizes. I like the size fine, but would also like to get one in about 11 inch diameter. The 10.5 inch Hoquoy I have is a bit small on me, and I think others might go for one around that size.

Don't know if this is helpful, but Elosegui has five grades.
1. Super luxury (super lujo): top of the line, Teflon coated, in black and blue, other colors on request.
2. Txapeldun: black, other colors on request.
3. Closely-woven Exhibition: in black, blue, red.
4. Fine Exhibition: in five colors.
5. Basic: in black and red, other colors on request. Only one with diamond-shape label.

Here is the label in either of mine:

I doesn't match the labels on their website for any of the grades.
Here is a sampling of the first four, in order:

So can't say for certain that it is actually super lujo - might be 2. or 3. In any case, very thick and firm, fine feel.

- Bill

theprofessor

New in Town
well, i tried the 51, which is made by scala... "leather" lining turned out to be quite faux.

has anybody seen the borsalino beret up close? and if so, is it smaller as in 10" or less, or one of the big floppy things?

theprofessor

New in Town
just received a beret that fits/looks great on me. wore it out on some errands and was surprised that there were no dirty looks, no merry making looks, only compliments "that is a great beret." it is the basque beret from meyer the hatter in new orleans, Paul Meyer is pleasant to deal with and i would recommend speaking directly with him. he took the time to go get one and answer all my silly questions. I had previously ordered a beret from what looked to be an impressive selection at another new orleans hatter, but when i received it i learned quickly that their definition of leather is similar to everybody else's definition of vinyl. the band inside this beret is vinyl, but at least was advertised as such, and the price at meyer was lower, overall quality higher. the beret i returned to the other vendor was a scala in disquise, while the basque beret at meyer has a partial satin lining -with- a sewn in -not- glued in label. it says Vrai Basque and is made by one of the aforementioned 2 genuine french makers of berets. I wanted one simply because i always wanted one, but now that i have it, i am definitely going to add it to my fedora rotation. it's top quality, and Paul Meyer gave me top quality service.

theprofessor

New in Town
also... its been a while since i checked this thread, and i wanted to comment on indy cop's aversion to wearing blue berets. anything that would confuse me with the united nations is definitely something i would avoid like the plague! and as for the che comment, why let the likes of him destroy an otherwise useful form of headwear - it was freezing outside today and i was all warm and toasty under my new trusty beret!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great Thread!

I have/had a black, unlined, sans sweatband beret that I used exclusively for backpacking and camping in the 70's and 80's. Can't recall the manufacturer but it was stamped in the crown. I have no idea where it is now but this reading this thread brings back some great memories.

Heck, I jst ordered a 12" from the photographer in Seattle. Woodflutter convinced me to jump off that bridge. ;) :)

All the information and links have been fascinating. I imagine there will be another three or four versions of this venerable hatwear in my near future. Thanks to all who kept this thread going. It's been a fun and informative read. :)

Woodfluter

Practically Family
theprofessor said:
also... its been a while since i checked this thread, and i wanted to comment on indy cop's aversion to wearing blue berets. anything that would confuse me with the united nations is definitely something i would avoid like the plague! and as for the che comment, why let the likes of him destroy an otherwise useful form of headwear - it was freezing outside today and i was all warm and toasty under my new trusty beret!

Leaving the UN aside (their's are military style anyway), my mental association is with the "blue bonnets" which were the characteristic headgear of the Scots, from c. 1600 to 1800:

BONNET & COCKADE by Terry Purke--April 1984, Dan Gilbert--January 1995
"The standard Basque type beret available from hat shops, clothing stores and street vendors is perfectly acceptable. The dimensions should be 12-inches or more (you will have to search a little to find one this big but they are available) and the color should be blue--a royal blue or a shade lighter than navy blue. The modern military berets with the leather beading around the edge are not acceptable."

"Stand to your arms then, and march in good order;
England shall many a day
Tell of the bloody fray,
When the Blue Bonnets came over the Border."

Corto

A-List Customer
I've got a bunch of military berets I've collected over the years...One from the Gurkhas, an IDF Tanker's beret and a Scottish tam o' shanter (Gordon Highlanders)...

I would never wear them out in public (not having earned them), but they are nice during winter to wear in the house to keep my head warm. If I could find a good civilian version of the tam I'd consider wearing it outside...

theprofessor

New in Town
point on the blue bonnet noted... yet there is a difference in the style of the beret as it was noted that the UN uses military style, and werent the scottish versions considered tams?

Woodfluter

Practically Family
theprofessor said:
point on the blue bonnet noted... yet there is a difference in the style of the beret as it was noted that the UN uses military style, and werent the scottish versions considered tams?

Correct, Professor - military berets generally have a narrow leather binding on the edge, usually have a ribbon running through that binding that ties at the rear (those I've seen anyway), and a stiffening piece of some sort on the left side for attachment of insignia.

The Scots bonnet was variable (some knit, some perhaps sewn from pieces) but all of a soft, symmetrical pie-plate shape, just like the Basque berets. Later on, some had a toorie (pompom) sewn in the center, but that was not the norm. Way later, I think in the latter 19th C, they added a wool band at the bottom, often diced, making the thing similar to many Navy seamen's caps of the time, and it got re-named "Balmoral". The name "tam" is applied to any soft, round Scottish cap, but only after Robt. Burns' poem about Tam O'Shanter was published.

Generally worn by men in both the highlands and lowlands. Usually pulled down in front or worn at a rakish angle. Painting of the battle of Culloden, 1745, posed for the painter using captured highlanders:

The white cockade on the side of caps in this picture wasn't standard wear - was used to show whose side they were on in this fight. Because there were lowlanders and some highland clansmen on the other side, with black cockades.

As an aside, the whole clan tartan thing came about long afterward, during Queen Victoria's reign, when prohibitions against wearing tartan were lifted. Back in the day, as you see in the picture, it was a mishmash, although you might tell where someone came from by the pattern or colors favored by local weavers. Clan membership was indicated by "plant badges" - sprigs of plants often attached to the side of the bonnet.

DrDoomes

New in Town
BellyTank said:
Hello-
what you have is a Civil Defence beret(CD), from the UK.
The CD wore dark navy blue(black) versions of British Army battledress uniforms, including the beret.
BERET INDUSTRIES LTD., was a large manufacturer of wartime berets, along with Kangol.
The "18" that you see, may actually be the remnants of the beret's size marking(as these berets are sized in hat sizes)- like "/8", or something, from a 7 1/8 size(for example), or 7 3/8- maybe. Something like that.
Not sure about the "Baret" spelling but it seems to ring a bell for whatever reason. The "arrow mark", "<-" is the mark of the Ministry of Defence and has been used for hundreds of years.

B
T

I have the exact same beret with the same markings, along with another made by the British Fez Co. It also says C.D. 18 inside. Neither has a nub on top, I think they came this way. I bought mine at an army surplus store more than 25 years ago, they are indeed great berets. I have never seen any like them since.

Doomes

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vive le beret Francais! (pics)

Original vintage French beret worn in Nice (South of France) earlier this year and latterly in the garden avec le smoking jacket!

SMOKINGJACKET015.jpg

NICEFRANCE09147-1.jpg

BERET.jpg

NICEFRANCE09146-1.jpg

Reactions: GLS

elvisroe

A-List Customer
action beret!

While I can't say I've ever worn one down the street, I do love the classic WW2 feel they invoke.

I used a few last year in a little sci-fi action short film to try and get that future-noir nod-to-history look...

duncberet.jpg

dunkberet2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points