Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
TY again. I spotted that the logo on the pin was upside down after I posted it (the anchor gave it away :)) but didn't feel like a repost.
As long as it's right side up on the hat, I'm good!

Daan

Vendor
Just returned from summer holidays, back in Wellington and right back into the business of a bonetaire. 10 days really is not long enough, but at least it provided me with enough time to give my new boina Tolosa Tupida in sun-washed blue cotton a good workout! The stack of Auloronesas I usually wear remained pretty much packed up - summer is here (at the bottom of the world)!
12440683_1089043234480349_537967438004334392_o.jpg

One of my personal highlights was meeting Stuart at his farm on Highway 309. Stuart is a retired farmer who keeps some 300 semi-wild pigs just for the fun of it; doesn't kill (let alone eat) them, looks after them at a massive bush property in NZ's Coromandel.
12466056_1089043817813624_79014572378538611_o.jpg

And, no surprise for those of you who know how I like to spend my holidays, I managed to find some industrial history in the shape of old railway works at Ohakune, a small town under the volcano Mt Ruapehu on NZ's central North Island. Abandoned sheds, heaps of rusty old steel under layers of dirt and weeds, an old diesel locomotive (sans diesel...) and to top it off, found a lovely refurbished vintage railway carriage for accommodation.
10580684_1089043831146956_7068351333463255309_o.jpg

Life's good!

Ah, and the beret du jour was (and is) the boina Tolosa Tupida in sun-washed cotton - highly recommended!

Daan

Vendor
The last day of 2015 (here in New Zealand, that is) and, thinking of time going by, growing up, aging and renewing, I thought a compilation of pictures symbolizing these sentiments.
baby.jpg
gaucho001-65.jpg

Ni%C3%B1os+con+boinas+en+Cienfuegos+2.jpg
TierraPatagoniaGAUCHO.jpg

wedding3.jpg
the-griswolds2.jpg

Constant.png
watching+the+world+go+by+2.jpg

El+paisano+retro+Bilbao.jpg
From+the+Chile+photo+series,+1967.jpg

I wish you all a beautiful New Year in every respect (and keep wearing the beret!)!

Daan

Vendor
80 Years in Provence (French with English Subtitles)
An intimate portrait of two brothers, farmers, bachelors, now in their 80s, traditional characters living in a world that has changed dramatically during their lives. A 30 minute documentary filmed in southern France in 2004. Gabriel, in the beret, is sadly no longer with us. A rare glimpse into authentic old Europe, far from the madding crowd and untroubled by modernity.
Slow video, full of subtle humour (and berets).

Reactions: RJR

Daan

Vendor
There are many more beret labels than berets, as one model beret could be fitted with dozens of different labels according to the retailer who sold them, or specific (sports, club, youth)-groups they were intended for. Some hat shops would simply have their name printed under the standard label (usually in gold fond), while larger hat shops had their own label.
Most of these labels are heraldic in nature; medieval symbols, symbols of Royalty (scepter, lion, eagle); others symbolize a geographic region (typically Basque, despite most berets not being made in the Basque Country) and others again symbolize the romantic heritage of the beret: shepherd scenes, old farm houses, etc.
However, there are also labels that are more complex, telling a story (often associated with war or the military). Some of these are true pieces of art in their own right. Here are some nice samples (all vintage, not in production anymore these days...):

1917924_1092238134160859_6793823793276051371_n.jpg

Nos%2BAiles.jpg
BERET+CARMANNE+LEGION+ETRANGERE+FRANCE+(1).JPG
Grand+Ciel.jpg

Interestingly, it was very much a French thing only; the Spanish manufacturers being much less extravagant in their beret label designs and typically, practically all heraldic.
label07102015.jpg

Still, my personal favourite (apart from my own Boneteria Aotearoa label!), are Laulhere's Etchea and Bortia labels. Beret labels can't be less presumptuous than an old geezer holding a makila (Basque walking stick), trudging on sabots (wooden shoes), accompanied by his mule, the old Basque farmhouse in the background!
Vintage+labels+Laulhere+Bortia.jpg
Etchea.png

leftyguy

New in Town
Just returned from summer holidays, back in Wellington and right back into the business of a bonetaire. 10 days really is not long enough, but at least it provided me with enough time to give my new boina Tolosa Tupida in sun-washed blue cotton a good workout! The stack of Auloronesas I usually wear remained pretty much packed up - summer is here (at the bottom of the world)!
12440683_1089043234480349_537967438004334392_o.jpg

One of my personal highlights was meeting Stuart at his farm on Highway 309. Stuart is a retired farmer who keeps some 300 semi-wild pigs just for the fun of it; doesn't kill (let alone eat) them, looks after them at a massive bush property in NZ's Coromandel.
12466056_1089043817813624_79014572378538611_o.jpg

And, no surprise for those of you who know how I like to spend my holidays, I managed to find some industrial history in the shape of old railway works at Ohakune, a small town under the volcano Mt Ruapehu on NZ's central North Island. Abandoned sheds, heaps of rusty old steel under layers of dirt and weeds, an old diesel locomotive (sans diesel...) and to top it off, found a lovely refurbished vintage railway carriage for accommodation.
10580684_1089043831146956_7068351333463255309_o.jpg

Life's good!

Ah, and the beret du jour was (and is) the boina Tolosa Tupida in sun-washed cotton - highly recommended!

Daan, is this blue cotton beret the 31cm or 35cm?

Daan

Vendor
Hi Lefty-Guy,
The one pictured is the 31cm model. I also wear the 35cm in sun-washed green, but -apologies-, my daughter didn't make any pictures of me wearing it...

Sun+Washed+berets+013.JPG

leftyguy

New in Town
Hi Lefty-Guy,
The one pictured is the 31cm model. I also wear the 35cm in sun-washed green, but -apologies-, my daughter didn't make any pictures of me wearing it...

Sun+Washed+berets+013.JPG
2 follow ups Daan...(1) what's the sizing of these - i.e. will I have to stretch it to fit my 62cm head? (2) the sun washed blue doesn't seem to come in 31cm on your website, just blue/white

Daan

Vendor
Hi Lefty-Guy,

Yes, the 31cm sun-washed blue has sold out straight away and that colour is now only available in the Plato Grande model of 35cm diameter. But, as you noticed, the blue-white model actually comes very close.
No worries about the size; a gentle stretch will make it easy to wear these when size 62! The Plato Grande does actually have a slightly larger head opening to begin with.

Reactions: RJR

leftyguy

New in Town
Hi Lefty-Guy,

Yes, the 31cm sun-washed blue has sold out straight away and that colour is now only available in the Plato Grande model of 35cm diameter. But, as you noticed, the blue-white model actually comes very close.
No worries about the size; a gentle stretch will make it easy to wear these when size 62! The Plato Grande does actually have a slightly larger head opening to begin with.
thx, I've ordered the sun-washed green instead1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112