Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Nico

One of the Regulars
Does it look blue?

Below are four more photos of my BA in blue (marine). All the same beret, all blue. As you can see, it's hard to definitively discern this color as blue -- at least in these photographs. And indoors, under the infernal fluorescent light, blue looks black.

Sitting on a blue canvas briefcase, in indirect natural light, with flash
View attachment 70533

Sitting on a blue canvas briefcase, in indirect natural light, without flash
View attachment 70534

Sitting on a desk, under fluorescent light, with flash
View attachment 70535

Sitting on a desk, under fluorescent light, without flash
View attachment 70536

Wearing my BA Marine today. Goes with any colour.
IMG_2595.jpg

Nico

One of the Regulars
Those berets are getting me into the poor house. Now I will wait for those khaki ones ordered from Daan and then I will feed my new found addiction to berets in dark blue with some 32 cm ones from Tolosa Tupida.

Yep. I know what you mean. I ordered one of Daans AB in loden green.

Daan

Vendor
A very foggy day in Wellington and with my wife taking the car for the day, a good walk through the mist over the hills to the post office in Khandallah to post beret parcels (yes, including yours RJR!).
upload_2017-3-29_13-24-5.png
upload_2017-3-29_13-25-19.png

I dare say: no post office in New Zealand has dealt with so many berets as this small office in the northern Wellington hills! (and yes, some dedication eh, orders are posted within 24 hours whenebver possible).
upload_2017-3-29_13-27-31.png
upload_2017-3-29_13-27-55.png

The béret de jour is the Tolosa Tupida PG in 32cm Bordeaux; one great shield in the mist!

Talking to the manufacturers in France and Spain last night, planning my meetings there in May, I was amused by the reaction of two of these gentlemen (together good for almost 100 years of beret manufacturing experience!) when sharing with them the ongoing posts on this forum about which is "The Best" beret. Unaware of the other's response to my comment, both said that the competitor probably is better!
What a great attitude and it is this kind of humbleness and manners that I associate with boineros (and bonetaires).
upload_2017-3-29_13-47-42.png

Meanwhile, some of you will have received a survey in your inbox about my business, South Pacific Berets. 350 customers have been selected randomly and the result (68, so far) is humbling for me. On a scale of 1 - 10 the lowest number is an 8 (apart from one person giving a 3, finding me too expensive), with an average of 9.2! Thanks to all who have responded! Once all results are in, with comments, I shall respond here with a reaction to the various suggestions and ideas. So far, the most common complaint is that there is too limited a choice in cotton berets and, I'm happy to say, from late May there will be a brand new selection of small and medium diameter cotton Basques by Laulhere.

Nico

One of the Regulars
A very foggy day in Wellington and with my wife taking the car for the day, a good walk through the mist over the hills to the post office in Khandallah to post beret parcels (yes, including yours RJR!).
View attachment 70877 View attachment 70879
I dare say: no post office in New Zealand has dealt with so many berets as this small office in the northern Wellington hills!
(and yes, some dedication eh, orders are posted within 24 hours whenebver possible).
View attachment 70880 View attachment 70882
The béret de jour is the Tolosa Tupida PG in 32cm Bordeaux; one great shield in the mist!

Talking to the manufacturers in France and Spain last night, planning my meetings there in May, I was amused by the reaction of two of these gentlemen (together good for almost 100 years of beret manufacturing experience!) when sharing with them the ongoing posts on this forum about which is "The Best" beret. Unaware of the other's response to my comment, both said that the competitor probably is better!
What a great attitude and it is this kind of humbleness and manners that I associate with boineros (and bonetaires).
View attachment 70883
Meanwhile, some of you will have received a survey in your inbox about my business, South Pacific Berets. 350 customers have been selected randomly and the result (68, so far) is humbling for me. On a scale of 1 - 10 the lowest number is an 8 (apart from one person giving a 3, finding me too expensive), with an average of 9.2! Thanks to all who have responded! Once all results are in, with comments, I shall respond here with a reaction to the various suggestions and ideas. So far, the most common complaint is that there is too limited a choice in cotton berets and, I'm happy to say, from late May there will be a brand new selection of small and medium diameter cotton Basques by Laulhere.

Good post Daan.
I appreciate the effort that goes in on the logistics side of the business.
On a personal note, I will always support a family business whenever possible. :)

Many thanks.
N

Last edited:

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
View attachment 70877 View attachment 70879
I dare say: no post office in New Zealand has dealt with so many berets as this small office in the northern Wellington hills!
(and yes, some dedication eh, orders are posted within 24 hours whenebver possible).
View attachment 70880 View attachment 70882

View attachment 70883
It looks almost as if you wore my burgundy beret to the post office, Daan! (/:)
I'm catching up on lounge news, sitting on the porch, wearing my new khaki green beret. Black one went to work and the burgundy one will sit on the porch tomorrow evening.
Thanks, Daan, it was not only easy dealing with you, it was fun.
SD

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Ah yes, the Plato Grande from Tolosa Tupida. It wears nicely, its 32 cm being a good compromise between the extremes.
I started wearing one last week, you know. Because, embarassing as it may be, I found one in my cabinet. It seems I own two berets from TT, the smaller one I knew about and the PG. I purchased it somewhere in the past and totally forgot about it. I blame Daan.o_O

RJR

Ah yes, the Plato Grande from Tolosa Tupida. It wears nicely, its 32 cm being a good compromise between the extremes.
I started wearing one last week, you know. Because, embarassing as it may be, I found one in my cabinet. It seems I own two berets from TT, the smaller one I knew about and the PG. I purchased it somewhere in the past and totally forgot about it. I blame Daan.o_O
:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana