Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beretta Kalahari Safari Jacket

Mike K.

One Too Many
I've seen this jacket sold at National Geographic, Cabelas, and a few other online stores. It looks pretty classy and classic. Here is the best photo I have found so far (from Cabelas). Although there are other cheaper jackets out there, I really like the scalloped pocket flaps, roll-up sleeves, and cartridge loops. The waist belt is supposed to be removable for laundry days.

How are things in D.C. these days Kathleen? I grew up right next door in Alexandria.

i942468sq01.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've not seen a Baretta in person, but I have an Orvis that I wear constantly. The latest Orvis catalog features their Skeleton Coast jacket that is awesome. The details are very similar to mine, but with the additional of the leather shooting patch, where mine is a quited patch in the same color as the jacket. Mine is one of the best investments I've ever made, and I wear it daily.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There seems to be two types of Safari jackets:

The type shown above, which I would call a "field" safari jacket, those designed for shooting and exploration

And the type I would call "dress" safari jackets, like the Victoria Falls jacket from Peterman and the jacket and pants combination Roger Moore wore in "The Man With The Golden Gun."

I think the average gentleman would need both.

Sorry about the non sequitor, but I just thought of this. :)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Somehow the idea of a "dress" safari jacket, ranks on par with the concept of a luxury sport utility vehicle.

BT...I actually used to own one of those $60 bush jackets. Not a bad piece of apparel.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike K. said:
Somehow the idea of a "dress" safari jacket, ranks on par with the concept of a luxury sport utility vehicle.
Perhaps, but do a little research on British colonial dress and see what I mean. Think "English Patient," Old Sport. ;)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Gotcha Hemmingway. I guess being a biologist by trade I've been searching for the more utilitarian jacket.

Even though my footwear of choice for fieldwork is a pair of lightweight hiking boots, I thought it would be kinda neat to have some "vintage" footwear to go along with the safari jacket. Since this thread is still going...what is everyone's opinion? I've been thinking either knee high leather boots (russet brown) or some simple ankle high boots with leggings (sort of WWII style). All of which would be topped off by the "perfect" hat with puggaree band.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Gotcha Hemmingway. I guess being a biologist by trade I've been searching for the more utilitarian jacket.

Even though my footwear of choice for fieldwork is a pair of lightweight hiking boots, I thought it would be kinda neat to have some "vintage" footwear to go along with the safari jacket. Since this thread is still going...what is everyone's opinion? I've been thinking either knee high leather boots (russet brown) or some simple ankle high boots with leggings (sort of WWII style). All of which would be topped off by the "perfect" hat with puggaree band.

I'm with you all the way, Mike! Actually, though, all the biologists I work with think I'm a bit of a nut for the way I dress. They are all jeans and t-shirts. Personally, I don't own any jeans at all, and t-shirts are for Saturday morning coffee or yard work. Of course, all the other archaeologists think I am a bit of a nut, too.

Out here my typical field attire is shorts and desert boots, usually with a quick dry shirt of some kind. Like this, and this.

I'd rather go to work like this, and get there in this.

When it is cool, like the last time I was in the field, I do wear my Orvis safari jacket. The pockets make it great for keeping track of my GPS, compass, field notebook, sharpie and other writing instruments, photo scale, etc. I always carry my British WWII canteen, too. It's tough as nails.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Perhaps, but do a little research on British colonial dress and see what I mean. Think "English Patient," Old Sport. ;)

That's my question, too. Is a traditional safari jacket a shirt, or a jacket?

Is it supposed to be along the lines of a BDU coat? A four-pocket shirt designed to be worn over a t-shirt.

Or, as I always thought, it was supposed to be more of a summer weight blouse coat, designed to be worn with a shirt underneath it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I own three safari jackets, the first is a What Price Glory belted one in Tan. I like the twill weight of it, and wear it as a Spring and Fall jacket. I'll probably also use it for Concealed Carry with a T-shirt under it. The second is also WPG, but is the Aertex one in Green. I wear it like a shirt in July and August to shoot in (pistol). The newest one is a Cabela's that I wear as a jacket also. I'm probably ordering another WPG Aertex in Tan, and the Desert shirt in Aertex also.

This also looks interesting, but is more of a Dress option.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=4446&bc=no
UK Army Officer Khaki Drill Service Dress Tunic
A new reproduction of the KD SD tunic worn by British and Commonwealth officers from 1900 to the 1960's. Made in 100% cotton and fitted with brass General Service buttons. It has brass belt hooks for wear with Sam Browne belt, and also includes a removable optional cloth belt.

I haven't decided what to do with this yet.

Later

Highlander

A-List Customer
Beretta Kalahari

I have the Kalahari, nice jacket, but a little flimsey. That may be good though, it breaths well, and has plenty of room for movement. I am not sure in heavy brush how it would fare. But, it's comfortable, and takes little or no care ...

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
They don't seem to sell the Kalahari anymore (may've renamed it) but this nice-looking item is available.
I got the WPG jacket, and it's very nice. If you want it to look dressier, iron it. If not, leave it wrinkled.
This also looks interesting, but is more of a Dress option.
I've been eyeing that thing, too. I think you'd need to replace the brass buttons with plastic/horn ones to demilitarize it, though.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I just read more into this. I do have a "Banana Republic" Safari Jacket that is LIKE NEW. And while I agree, DRESS SAFARI JACKET, does have a funny ring to it, I'd guess I do "Keep it for more Dressy" affairs :) One reason I guess is you can't get them anymore, and it is a sharp looking jacket.

My Kalahari though I've really worn it pretty hard and it seems to stand up pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points