Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best beauty decision you've made?

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Getting lasik for my astigmatism and near-sightedness, I curbed my nail biting long, long ago (with icky tasting polish) and my nails are a great length and very healthy, and coloring my hair back to a natural color for me and letting the treated hair grow out and get cut.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
bellabella327 said:
Jnnifer, I have also noticed that by using a nail polish on my fingers, it has almost completely stopped me from bitting my nails!

For a long, long time, on the many occasions I stopped biting my nails, I had to keep them perfectly polished in order to not bite them. The problem is that as soon as the polish would chip, I would pick and bite. Luckily I'm past that - I was spending tons of time, like every 2 or 3 days, painting my nails!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I have to say too that Lasik was definitly worth it! Not looking foward to having to get reading glasses in a few years though.

I also just started using witch hazel from reading a few threads and I'm in love. My skin is awesome. Of course I'm just using the cheapy Walmart brand that has alcohol, I'm hoping that switching to one without won't change the results.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Might be the wrong place for this, please move if so. I feel obligated to mention that not all alcohols are created equal. The stuff in your witch hazel is not the same as the isopropol you get at the pharmacy. Strictly speaking, "alcohol" is a general term, meaning only that the chemical compound is a hydrocarbon with an oxygen-hydrogen group attached in at least one place on the chain or ring. Some are very harmful, and some can be moisturizing to your skin. Witch hazel is derived from plants, and many plant compounds are non-polar, meaning that without a little help, often in the form of an alcohol, it won't mix with water. I've actually never seen witch hazel anywhere, and it might just be where I've lived or looked, that didn't have some form of an alcohol in it. Just my experience [huh]

Antje

One Too Many
mmm, best beautychoice, difficult.
Accepting myself as I am, work out a little but not like hell.
Love wearing vintage style make up if people like it or not.
Pincurl my hair, and my new cold cream regime. I'm happy

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Gracie Lee thanks for the info. I guess I just see Alcohol in something and think bad,bad,bad! Of course it hasn't done anything bad to my skin so far so you're probably right.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
- Getting contact lenses
- Discovering Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs to cover the bruises and scratches I always seem to have on my legs - this stuff is GENIUS
- Realising that maybe my calves AREN'T freakishly big and I can actually show them in public without people throwing up! (Thank you to two soldiers at Haworth 1940s weekend for telling me I had the best legs in Haworth - without them I may not have come to this conclusion - they were like Gok Wan for me :) )
- Getting Maybelline Super Stay lipstick which I don't have to touch up every 5 minutes

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Rocketblast said:
- Realising that maybe my calves AREN'T freakishly big and I can actually show them in public without people throwing up! (Thank you to two soldiers at Haworth 1940s weekend for telling me I had the best legs in Haworth - without them I may not have come to this conclusion - they were like Gok Wan for me :) )

I haven't ENTIRELY got over this, but I'm not as terrified of my legs as I used to be :)

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Kate O Potato said:
I find asking myself "Would David Niven fancy you?" the best motivation to making the right amount of effort in a morning. :)
Oh, that kind of thing might work... imagine I might bump into Johnny Depp any time.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've started dry brushing. It's done wonders for my skin. Don't know why I've been so suspicious of the claims and not just given it a try. It makes my skin so much smoother when I moisturize afterwards than when I didn't dry brush regularly.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Christi.adell said:
I have to say too that Lasik was definitly worth it! Not looking foward to having to get reading glasses in a few years though.

I also just started using witch hazel from reading a few threads and I'm in love. My skin is awesome. Of course I'm just using the cheapy Walmart brand that has alcohol, I'm hoping that switching to one without won't change the results.

Which brand are you using, if you don't mind my asking? Whats it called?

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Shirin said:
Which brand are you using, if you don't mind my asking? Whats it called?

Honestly I don't even see a brand listed. I'm assuming it's Walmart brand. It has a yellow label that says Witch Hazel U.S.P. and then it says manufactured by Cumberland Swan. It was super cheap (I wanna say less than a dollar) but seems to do the job.

D

Deleted member 12480

Mine is switching from cotton pads to cotton balls!!

crwritt

One Too Many
Antje said:
What is the best difference you had since switching?
I don't know about Annie's experience, but the last batch of cotton facial pads
I bought tend to fall apart on me. I'll be getting the cotton balls next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot