Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Crushable Hats

NonEntity

Suspended
There are several crushable hats on the market today, among them:

The Akubra Casual and Traveller, both made of its pure fur felt Pliofelt, unlined, with a fabric sweatband, run around $100--nearly as much as their regular hats--but are attractive simply because they're Akubras, always a quality hat.

The Casual is a misnomer, as it's a 2 3/8-inch-brimmed carbon grey fedora, with a matching 1-inch grosgrain band and pre-formed center bash and a pair of dents, suitable for business attire. The dark fawn Traveller is the casual model in a 3-inch brimmed Outback style with a narrow woven leather band and a unique memory strip in the brim that allows it to be reshaped after being crushed or packed. Akubra does warn to not put a sharp bend in the brim, which could put a permanent kink in it.

The fairly dressy burma brown Chrystys Foldaway is also pure fur felt and has a same color 12-ligne grosgrain band and a 2 1/4-inch brim. It comes with a red tube you can use to roll it up in and carry inside. It is advertised as having a Von Bauer sweatband. What the heck is that? Is it lined? Imported from England, this hat is close to $200, and I wonder if any crushable model is worth that.

Scala makes the Roadmaster, a wool felt model with a 6-ligne grosgrain band and a 2 1/2-inch bound-edge brim. Available in black or putty colors, it's only about $50 and looks very good, but it might be a case of you get what you pay for.

The obvious beauty of a crushable hat is that you just don't have to worry about it. I will soon be travelling extensively on business by air--oh, joy--and am reluctant to carry along my beloved soft new Akubra Sydney for fear of its being smashed (see signature below) and taken away by the dreaded TSA personnel and subjected to water-boarding, or, worse, having to listen to their mumbo-jumbo.

Given my needs, I'm seeking a crushable fedora suitable for business, preferably though not necessarily of pure fur felt, in gray or black.

I have not found any such hats locally that I can see, touch, smell, taste, hear in person. Does anyone here have any direct experience with the hats mentioned above, or others not mentioned, to make an informed suggestion?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had an Akubra Traveller briefly & re-auctioned it on OFAS. When I actually had one in hand I thought the crown to be far too short & tapered to suit me, especially to support a 2 3/4" brim. I was disappointed because I had wanted one for some time and hadn't really been able to appreciate the hat's true dimensions until I had one in the flesh.

I now have a Lagomarsino crushable fur felt seen here:
argfc214d2s_124.jpg
available here 1st Street Leather

The sweat is fabric & the hat is unlined & has a "self" band of the same fur felt the body is constructed of... the edge is an underwelt that tends to reinforce and supply a certain rigidity to the brim itself... It is quite a nice hat, good proportions, nice feel. I got it on the cheap at auction. I am not sure I'd want to pay $90 for it although I have traveled extensively with it this year from New Orleans to Montreal to Beijing and have been quite happy with its performance.

There are also a few of current Borsalino models that are crushable/packable and 100% fur felt, an Alessandro, a trilby and a safari I think, but they are quite "high ticket" and few here have much good to say of them. they look pretty good though.

medium_BorsalinoAlessandro2.jpg

NonEntity

Suspended
Rick,

Thanks for your post. The Traveller is too casual for my needs, and the Lagomarsino appears to be a fine hat, but the green color rules it out for me.

Anyone else with suggestions/evaluations for a crushable pure pure felt fedora suitable to wear with business attire, in any shade of grey, or black?

Ande1964

Practically Family
Searching "crushable" at The Fedora Store will net you a lot of results, mostly from Country Gentleman or Stetson. I have never owned a Country Gentleman, so I can't vouch for them. I bought a pretty nice Bailey crushable from there last year... the Hartford, I believe. Doesn't look like it's around anymore, but Duane (the owner) is good about answering questions. Ask him what he thinks your best bet would be.

Anj

Donato

One of the Regulars
Ande1964 said:
Searching "crushable" at The Fedora Store will net you a lot of results, mostly from Country Gentleman or Stetson. I have never owned a Country Gentleman, so I can't vouch for them. I bought a pretty nice Bailey crushable from there last year... the Hartford, I believe. Doesn't look like it's around anymore, but Duane (the owner) is good about answering questions. Ask him what he thinks your best bet would be.

Anj
You can find the Bailey Hartford here:
http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/Merc...een=PROD&Store_Code=H&Product_Code=bail-37152

ed_bollix

New in Town
Crushable Wool Felt

I have a brown and a gray Jaxon Safari II crushable wool felt hats. They are nice looking and pretty inexpensive. Jaxon is a great company to work with and for what you pay they are very nice hats. I have yet to actually crush one of em but the concept is nice. They have a couple of different crushable Fedora styles.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Country Gentleman is OK in terms of looks, and they hold together fairly well. However they are 100% wool, and the cold wind cuts right through them. A decent ballcap is warmer in the wind than a Country Gentleman!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
There are also a few of current Borsalino models that are crushable/packable and 100% fur felt, an Alessandro, a trilby and a safari I think, but they are quite "high ticket" and few here have much good to say of them. they look pretty good though.

I have one of those, a modern Borsalino "Rainproof"; fur felt, with a grosgrain sweatband, unlined. Not sure what it costs new, but whatever it is, it isn't worth it. The felt is thin and light, but not dense or shapeable at all. It's very squishy, and while it does roll, it doesn't pop back into shape well. It doesn't hold any shape if you crease it dry. Nothing like my vintage borsalino rollers.

schuface

New in Town
Christys foldable

My experience is with the Christys Foldable fedora. Very Soft, fairly Dense thin felt holds it's shape surprisingly well in a down pour (started to sag a little). Quite comfortable cloth sweat-very nice color and ribbon. Rolls up nice and pops right back but I have never done this while wet or in a humid climate. A good summer weight hat. I've had it for about 3 years with lots of wear and It is starting to do the Mt. Fuji a little - needs a blocking. If I had it to do again I would just Put out a little more money for a Art Lite and get it done MY way for Me.

MattC

A-List Customer
Borsalino Traveler

Pricey at around $150 (try Noggintops) in Black Tan and Green. Eveybody complains about modern Borsos, but I've taken this around the world, had it 4 years, and it remains a great hat. And so soft you almost forget you've got it on.

NonEntity

Suspended
I appreciate everyone's input, and do keep it coming. I've definitely decided to go with a pure fur felt crushable, which rules out a lot.

I like the Chrystys Foldaway, and the few people who have actually had one have favorable things to say, BUT, for me, the $200 pricetag and the Burma Brown color are negatives. Anyone know where I can get this fedora cheaper and/or in some shade of gray or black?

People either seem to love or loathe Borsalinos, no in between, but everyone agrees they're expensive, so I'm in limbo land with Borsos.

Then there's the misnamed, fairly dressy Akubra Casual. It's charcoal gray, a color I like. It's an Akubra, so I know the quality will be excellent like my other ones. And it's just a C-note, maybe cheaper somewhere when I really get down to it. But another Akubra? ANOTHER AKUBRA?! Can't anyone else make an affordable high quality hat to add some variety to my hat life?

How 'bout Biltmore, doesn't it make a fur felt crushable fedora that gives Akubra some competition, or any other manufacturer?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
NonEntity said:
People either seem to love or loathe Borsalinos, no in between, but everyone agrees they're expensive, so I'm in limbo land with Borsos.

Then there's the misnamed, fairly dressy Akubra Casual. It's charcoal gray, a color I like. It's an Akubra, so I know the quality will be excellent like my other ones. And it's just a C-note, maybe cheaper somewhere when I really get down to it. But another Akubra? ANOTHER AKUBRA?! Can't anyone else make an affordable high quality hat to add some variety to my hat life?

Borso's do get mix reviews, but I think their crusher gets bad word of mouth very consistantly.
As for Akubra - There's a reason they keep coming up, you know. lol I didn't realize the Casual was a crusher, so I guess they have a good spot in all the rabbit fur felt markets.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
your borsalino, Bolthead. It's great.
Why thanks DM, coming from you, that's quite the compliment....and you're not even a Stingy kinda guy. :D

...btw, I just missed out on one of yours (Borso's) over the weekend, what a heartbreaker when I came home to find out I was out bid by a measley $1.oo. It was a beautie too.

imported_kevin

New in Town
Maddog

I have a question for Alex Oviatt:
I've tried unsuccessfully to call up the website you suggested (http://<a href="http://s250.photobuc...tobucket"></a>).
Is there another way to get a look at the Orvis hat you described?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana