Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Crushable Hats

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
The thing you are missing… And I don't mean this in any offensive way whatsoever :)… Is that my wife and I, and many other people like to travel extremely light. We will do 18 days in Europe having only a carry-on case each. I have no desire to carry around a plastic Box just for my hat in instances like that. Additionally when you're out and about going to restaurants, visiting museums, little cafés, the availability of someplace to put a nice hat becomes difficult at times. Or while touring churches where you should remove your hat you end up carrying it and one of your hands is occupied the whole time. So I figured having a hat that was not quite so fragile would be enjoyable. If I don't find one no biggie I'll just take my newsboy which I can stuff in my pocket with ease or toss on the chair and if somebody sits on it it doesn't matter. Plus, just the idea of having a rollup is fun.

Cheers,
M
Magus, that makes sense. I'm not one to travel light so I guess that never even occurred to me. Also, I generally wear my hat inside a museum and inside cafes. I do take it off inside a church etc however.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Are there some crushable hats that are better at popping back into shape than others? My Christys never really "worked"

RJR

Magus, that makes sense. I'm not one to travel light so I guess that never even occurred to me. Also, I generally wear my hat inside a museum and inside cafes. I do take it off inside a church etc however.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Are there some crushable hats that are better at popping back into shape than others? My Christys never really "worked"
I've never had one that worked well either.If I had to choose a hat that can be abused I'd probably go with a Tilley.

jptravels4fun

New in Town
I'm not trying to make any sort of point here, but what is the purpose of a crushable/roll away hat? My hat is either on a hat rack, on my head or next to me resting on its crown.

I did have a Christys foldaway which I eventually sold. It was nice to be able to stow it in my carry-on when flying but it never held a nice shape.

For every day I don't see a need for a hat that I can roll up and put in a bag. For travel I have a plastic hat box now and I travel wearing whatever hat I'm in the mood for.

I must be missing something??

The point is when you are traveling, moving from hotel to the train, or hustling around the world sometimes it is easier to roll you hat and not have it fly off your head. When you get your seat,or wherever you then put it back on.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
The point is when you are traveling, moving from hotel to the train, or hustling around the world sometimes it is easier to roll you hat and not have it fly off your head. When you get your seat,or wherever you then put it back on.
I would have thought that the point of having a hat is to actually wear it. :D I travel a lot and wear a hat a lot. It would never occur to me to take my hat off when moving from a hotel to a train.

I don't even know what "hustling around the world" actually means but I probably do that to, and wear a hat while doing so... ;)

jptravels4fun

New in Town
I would have thought that the point of having a hat is to actually wear it. :D I travel a lot and wear a hat a lot. It would never occur to me to take my hat off when moving from a hotel to a train.

I don't even know what "hustling around the world" actually means but I probably do that to, and wear a hat while doing so... ;)
I guess you have to grow up in Brooklyn to know what "hustling" means ;) Moving fast from plane on Tarmac, to customs, to bouncing around on trains on a windy day etc...I am sure anyone who travels light and fats does it...

jptravels4fun

New in Town
Anything that costs me $300+ dollars, doesn't get crushed.

It is not only that a hat is crushable but it is a lighter felt. Now that might now interest many but I think if you move around a lot when traveling, you "occasionally" store the hat in a scottevest pocket and the expense you can justified then it is worth it.
Crushable Hat.jpg

jptravels4fun

New in Town
I am looking for a nice crushable fedora.

I recently travelled to a rainy city and keenly regretted not bringing a hat, but of course if I had brought one of my normal hats it probably would not have rained and I would have spent the whole trip trying to figure out where to safely stow it.

Any recommendations? It needs to be formal looking, and preferably affordable.

Here ya go Borsalino $275 different colors.
Crushable Hat.jpg

jptravels4fun

New in Town
The thing you are missing… And I don't mean this in any offensive way whatsoever :)… Is that my wife and I, and many other people like to travel extremely light. We will do 18 days in Europe having only a carry-on case each. I have no desire to carry around a plastic Box just for my hat in instances like that. Additionally when you're out and about going to restaurants, visiting museums, little cafés, the availability of someplace to put a nice hat becomes difficult at times. Or while touring churches where you should remove your hat you end up carrying it and one of your hands is occupied the whole time. So I figured having a hat that was not quite so fragile would be enjoyable. If I don't find one no biggie I'll just take my newsboy which I can stuff in my pocket with ease or toss on the chair and if somebody sits on it it doesn't matter. Plus, just the idea of having a rollup is fun.

Cheers,
M

I like your travel style! I purchased a folding lightweight carrier so as not to put my Panama hat in a bin, or heaven forbid on belt on through security.
I just purchased this and as I am a LIGHTWEIGHT packing fanatic. I believe real men and women strap it on a carry it on, only the weak, old and sick wheel luggage :D (and I am coming on 62). I would not carry it around the streets of Europe but it works fine for what I mentioned above. I wear my hat in restaurants or use a chair to place it on. I have a awesome lightweight bag 1.6 lbs full size carry on at $72 if interested in a link.
Here is the link from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-...words=Collapsible+Fabric+Hat+Box(Black+large)
and here is a photo:
Hat Box.jpg

jptravels4fun

New in Town
I am looking for a nice crushable fedora.

I recently travelled to a rainy city and keenly regretted not bringing a hat, but of course if I had brought one of my normal hats it probably would not have rained and I would have spent the whole trip trying to figure out where to safely stow it.

Any recommendations? It needs to be formal looking, and preferably affordable.
Hi there all.

Though I have a room full of hats I have yet to pick up a crushable. My wife and I are headed to Italy in a couple of months and I'd love to take a fedora with me. A vintage piece would be my preference but I have to admit that I've been desperate enough in my search to have looked at the modern wool versions (shudder). On the last trip I opted for a thicker newsboy, and picked up another thin one in a Swiss thrift shop, so that's an option, but I'm hoping for a fedora.

I know Borsalino make some modern versions of it but the prices here in the states for those are more than I want to pay. Of course since were going to Italy… Maybe I should just buy one there? Anyhow I'm looking for options. Though I wear a widebrimmed from time to time I do lean more towards smaller brims and even stingys.

Then again...can I convert one of my current hats into a rollable/crushable?

Thanks in advance,
M
Here ya go< Magus. rain resistant, crushable, lightweight felt by Borsaline $275. I have one in this color and one in Brown
Crushable Hat.jpg

KarlCrow

One Too Many
there's a well styled english chap by the name of David, that lives in perhaps texas, who often posts hats in the WHAYWToday thread that owns a crushable borsalino, no idea if it's modern or antique but he knows his hats and swears by it. If you googled crushable borsalino and that thread url together you'd find it. He posted it a few weeks back.when he was travelling.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
rolling a fedora is a novelty for people who don't regularly wear fedoras in my opinion

wear a hat or leave it home

just because a hat is labeled "rollable" or "crushable" that is not an invitation to do so on a regular basis

you roll a hat enough times and you will see affects from it on the felt ...

from someone who owns a large amount of high end fedoras both new and old ... please do not roll your hats regularly ... unless you wish to have a hat that looks like it has been rolled regularly
'
if you buy a hat in Italy and roll it for the trip home ... fine ... but if you roll it for regular travel you will destroy the hat

you want to roll a hat ?.... but a $29 Christys and roll to your hearts content

a lot of times "crushable" is really another way to say unlined, unreeded, and lightweight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points