Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best FL-er costumes 2009

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Marc Chevalier leaving his mimeograph machine for a moment to yell up to me that the stock market is crashing, and that all our dreams, all our money is gone... forever!

Detachable collar, real ticker-tape distressed appearance and all.

12436_162710378810_642563810_2901859_7361140_n.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Matt is too kind. :)

I was trying to look like a frantic stockbroker on October 25, 1929.

I could only get hold of 6 feet of ticker tape. (Try finding some yourself. It's really hard!) I wish I'd had lots more to drape around my shoulders. As it was, the measly strips of ticker tape were thought to be a tape measure by many people there. The frantic stockbroker became a frantic tailor! :(

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
A beautiful moment of panic.
Marc, your expression is very similar to the one worn by Scott Fitzgerald in his latter photos; during that time his life had completely fallen apart and he must have realized all his attempts to repair it would end in futility.
(I hope yours is just a very good act! ;))

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Were any FL-ers there besides Matt, Marc, and Professor??

I always wanted to create costumes based on those by Walter Plunkett for the Beaux Arts Ball in An American in Paris...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A truly great picture:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Matt Deckard said:
Marc Chevalier leaving his mimeograph machine for a moment to yell up to me that the stock market is crashing, and that all our dreams, all our money is gone... forever!

Detachable collar, real ticker-tape distressed appearance and all.

12436_162710378810_642563810_2901859_7361140_n.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc, I think you've found the male equivalent of the "Sexy _____" that women strive for each Halloween! A vintage 3 piece! :eusa_clap But next time you might consider a push up bra.

Snookie

Practically Family
We didn't make it to Cicada on Sunday, but I thought I'd post our Halloween costumes here: Carmen Miranda and Charlie Chaplin!
4060248388_b0408a9826_o.jpg

The Chaplin costume was about the easiest costume I've ever done - thank goodness for the closet full of ill-fitting clothes! :eusa_doh: ;) I made my Carmen outfit - using fabrics from my stash and borrowing jewelry from friends kept the cost to about $30. Not bad, huh?

Any more vintage-inspired costumes out there this year?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
worn last night, Marlene Dietrich:
377047417.jpg
I altered the sleeve length of my husband's tux shirt and his tailcoat sleeve length to fit me, and the waist of the vest. The 30s vintage tuxedo trousers I probably bought 20 years ago (my first vintage purchase) and had them altered some time back to fit me perfectly. Also wore his vintage white suspenders under the vest, these really make all the difference on the vintage tux trousers fitting right. My silk collapsible opera hat I've had since the late 1980's, its been popped so many times the lining is shredded where the mechanisms are, but still lots of fun.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Fletch! It was a real kick for me wearing this, especially the vintage tux trousers with the vintage white suspenders.

I'm missing my pocket square and the white flower in the lapel- will be wearing this again out dancing tonight so I'm hoping to get another and better picture. Where's that art deco architecture backdrop when you need one!

The tux trousers had suspender button thread remnants on the inside of the waistband, so I used them for placement. I put the center back buttons on the outside of the waistband.

Fletch said:
:eusa_clap There's nothing better than a lady who can bring off white tie and tails. I almost typed "pull off", but caught myself just in time...:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points