Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm sorry but I have to disagree, I had those hot rollers and they didn't get anywhere near hot enough to do a darn thing to my hair. I gave them to my flatmate in the end - they worked fine on her thick naturally curly locks.

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
I've tried my fair share of heated rollers, but seriously, Hot Sticks changed my life. They just work so fast and create a curl that really holds, but my friend has them and they don't work at all on her hair. It's weird because my hair has always been really difficult to curl, I had a perm that didn't work, that's how naturally straight it is! But I love Hot sticks, they make me happy:) I feel really annoyed for girls that they don't work on, I just don't get it!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
My hair is really poker straight, (i had a perm that didn't take either once), so in that case the babyliss may well not cut it, so i might have to try the hot sticks then, thanks for the heads up ladies. x

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
To those that have said curl/set hair whne it's dirty, I use a lot of dax in my hair, should I wash it out before using my new babyliss tight curls?

(then came yesterday :D )

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think i would, you might be frying your hair a bit if you use loads in your hair then put the heated rollers on it. But i could be wrong. I only use a bit of Dax on my fringe if it's being naughty!;)

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Babyliss Hot Rollers

I had poor results with the Babyliss Hot Rollers as well. I've got naturally wavy hair but they just didn't really have any effect on me. Plus they're pretty heavy and bulky. Perhaps I'm just not using them properly? I shall be selling them on eBay methinks!

I find the only thing that works for me is pin curls.

jester

New in Town
What sort of rollers (and roller size) would be best for recreating a Marilyn Monroe/Liz Taylor set? Or would sticks or pincurls be better (hoping not on the pin curls, no patience hehe)?

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
I've tried the Babyliss curlers to no avail. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried them a few times before finally giving up and returning to a set of Remington heated wax curlers that my grandmother gave me. I remember playing with them as a child (not when they were heated of course!) so I reckon they date to the late 80's or early 90's. I also have some Nicky Clarke Flexi-Stylers that I bought off ebay for about a fiver and they work very well, except they seem to catch at my hair alot!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Land-O-LakesGal said:
Ok so I was thinking of trying these. I have the hot sticks but they don't seem to get the ends real well. Do you ( or anyone else who wants to through their 2 cents worth is welcome) have the hot sticks? If so how do they compare?

I bought a Hot Sticks set after hearing so many raves from ladies with fine, hard to curl hair like mine. I've tried using them several times with different techniques and the result is always the same...a sloppy curl that falls out by mid afternoon. So sad. The Remington Beach Waves haven't failed me yet and sometimes, depending on the weather, I wake up the next day with a good amount of curl leftover.

YesterdayGirl, I am also annoyed that Hot Sticks did not work for me. ;)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Jenniferose7 said:
I bought a Hot Sticks set after hearing so many raves from ladies with fine, hard to curl hair like mine. I've tried using them several times with different techniques and the result is always the same...a sloppy curl that falls out by mid afternoon. So sad. The Remington Beach Waves haven't failed me yet and sometimes, depending on the weather, I wake up the next day with a good amount of curl leftover.

YesterdayGirl, I am also annoyed that Hot Sticks did not work for me. ;)
Thanks Jenniferrose I may give those a try as I also find the hot sticks messy and that end issue grr.... Hopefully will get better results.:)

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Swizzlers?

Conair seems to be really running with this Hotsticks idea. Besides the HotSticks, I've found CandleSticks [ceramic jelly rollers] and now Swizzlers.

The Swizzlers look interesting with the coils on them. And the Candlesticks seem cool since they come with clips.

I hadn't had much luck with a set of HotSticks I bought, but granted it could have been a defective one. But I may need to try one of these since I don't often have the patience for a damp set.

Any advice gals?

Thanks,
jillybean

Jools

New in Town
Hot rollers

I have a set of Clairol Hot Rollers that were given to me for my 13th birthday...when the earth's surface was still cooling, in the 1970s. They had a "steam" feature- originally the curlers came with a bottle of product you added to the rollers that made them steam with "conditioner." Today I just use water. And they still work perfectly. I've seen them for literally pennies at thrift stores.

I also have a set of Remington Curlers,which I think get too hot. I have some Remington Rag Curlers, which are OK, but really on my hair (naturally curly) are only good for making ringlets.

In college, (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I would wash my (very long) hair every night, and blow dry it straight. Then I would put my hair in a ponytail, form really large curls and pin them. (this really beats sleeping in the gigantic rollers I slept in when I was in HS.) In the morning, I would put my hair up in Hot Rollers, and brush out the curls into a pageboy, so that it was uber-sleek all the way around, but curled under at the ends.

annet

One of the Regulars
what kind of rollers would you guys think is best for my kind of hair? it is naturally curly but the curl isn't very strong, and some parts don't curl at all (i have a few locks behind my ear that are always straight, unless i curl them...)

i've tried pincurls before and the curl lasted really well (set them in damp hair in the evening and slept on them) but it's just too much of a hassle to do regularly. i sometimes use an old curling iron but i'm a bit clumsy (burned one of my fingers today) and it's hard to get them right. plus, it's really quite ancient and some parts that aren't supposed to get hot (like screws on the handle) can burn me too.

this is what i look like au naturel, just letting my hair air dry:

Fotoop08-10-2010om17302.jpg

i used to wet it every day since it does curl naturally, but goes flat after sleeping on it... if i set curls they last a lot longer though (even just with some mousse in my hair before setting them) the ideal would be something that i can do in the morning between washes, and that doesn't take too long and isn't too complicated for a sleepy head. any advice?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
annet said:
what kind of rollers would you guys think is best for my kind of hair? it is naturally curly but the curl isn't very strong, and some parts don't curl at all (i have a few locks behind my ear that are always straight, unless i curl them...)

i've tried pincurls before and the curl lasted really well (set them in damp hair in the evening and slept on them) but it's just too much of a hassle to do regularly. i sometimes use an old curling iron but i'm a bit clumsy (burned one of my fingers today) and it's hard to get them right. plus, it's really quite ancient and some parts that aren't supposed to get hot (like screws on the handle) can burn me too.

this is what i look like au naturel, just letting my hair air dry:

Fotoop08-10-2010om17302.jpg

i used to wet it every day since it does curl naturally, but goes flat after sleeping on it... if i set curls they last a lot longer though (even just with some mousse in my hair before setting them) the ideal would be something that i can do in the morning between washes, and that doesn't take too long and isn't too complicated for a sleepy head. any advice?

If you have a good set going I would just pin it and put a scarf or hair net on it before bed rather than wet it in the morning.

annet

One of the Regulars
If you have a good set going I would just pin it and put a scarf or hair net on it before bed rather than wet it in the morning.

i think you kind of misunderstood, i only wet it in the morning when i let my natural curl do it's thing since it's not strong enough to last through the night. if i do have the time to set my hair i can leave it like that for a day or two. i just don't have the time for a full wet pin curl set (the only kind that really lasts apart from a hot curling iron) because i suck at sleeping on pins and never have enough time to let it dry completely... (sounding very whiny now) so i kind of need something to curl my (dry) hair in about an hour so it lasts a few days. would hot sticks be a good idea? i've seen them around here a few times.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
i think you kind of misunderstood, i only wet it in the morning when i let my natural curl do it's thing since it's not strong enough to last through the night. if i do have the time to set my hair i can leave it like that for a day or two. i just don't have the time for a full wet pin curl set (the only kind that really lasts apart from a hot curling iron) because i suck at sleeping on pins and never have enough time to let it dry completely... (sounding very whiny now) so i kind of need something to curl my (dry) hair in about an hour so it lasts a few days. would hot sticks be a good idea? i've seen them around here a few times.

Sorry I may have misunderstood. I have the hot sticks and they do work but I have stick straight hair and they don't always hold very long and the ends never seem to get a good curl. But you have curls so it may be a different story for you. Both Fleur and Lisa Freemont Street do Youtube tutorials on them.

annet

One of the Regulars
Sorry I may have misunderstood. I have the hot sticks and they do work but I have stick straight hair and they don't always hold very long and the ends never seem to get a good curl. But you have curls so it may be a different story for you. Both Fleur and Lisa Freemont Street do Youtube tutorials on them.

thanks! i'll consider rollers too then, the funny thing is that i used to have straight hair and as soon as i start giving it extra curl it acts like straight hair again... when the curls don't hold well (like with a dry pincurl set) my hair gets straight and not even wavy anymore. i used to be stick straight too, and around fourteen everything started to curl (probably hormones so there's a good change i'll go back to straight if i have children :()

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto