Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best leather jacket brands?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Definitely some good looking jackets from this company.

Are there any other leather brands, other than Aero, that people here also enjoy?

Think about how heavy you want your jacket to be. Aeros are very heavy to wear. The folks here tend to like them, and they certainly look cool, but I find them too heavy. I won't wear a jacket that weighs more that 4 pounds. A friend gave me his Highwayman to wear. I found it cumbersome and annoying.

Metatron

One Too Many
JanSolo, do you know any good German brands?

Most of the brands you mention (except aero who seem to be able to tackle anything) make mostly American inspired designs, I mean it's obvious that American workwear is one of the most important influences in modern style, but Germany has it's own unique heritage with motorcycle jackets, (like the John Lever's radjacke style)

Seb, as far as weight, aero also offers mid-weight horse/steer and goatskin, so I don't think it would be a problem to ask for one of those leathers instead.

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Langlitz, Aero, Goodwear and LostWorlds are known for their customizations (the first three companies being very easy to deal with). Although customization might only apply to civilian/motorcycle models. A2s are generally left untouched or they won't be called A2 anymore...

Eastmans are great but the only custom thing they offer is an extra inch for sleeves and body.

JanSolo

Practically Family
JanSolo, do you know any good German brands?

Christoph Hack from Köln (Cologne) makes some decent (and expensive) horsehide jackets. All with fine details, accurate top stitching and superb Swiss RiRi zips

j31_vorne.jpg

j13_vorne.jpg

J28_vorne.jpg

j01_vorne.jpg

http://www.lederware.com/category/jacken-herren

Last edited:
Most of them do.

Re; do these folks offer custom work?
Yes....and no.

With Aero, if something isn't right, you can send them back the jacket and they will correct it till it is right. At least with all my orders, they have a good idea of what measurements to ask for, and get it right.

With Vanson......not sure, but I wouldn't risk it. Check out some Vanson threads lately, and you will see they are having some problems. I have a "Custom" Vanson Model B I am waiting on. I placed the order last September, almost a year ago. Last I heard it is "31% completed", this a month after being told it was "in production". The "customization" I asked for? Brown leather instead of black.

Re; Langlitz....they do custom work, but I would not order a custom jacket from them unless you can get to their shop and have them take your measurements directly. I have a cafe racer jacket I custom ordered from them about a year ago, carefully took all the measurements they asked for.....sent them in...the jacket was so tight I could barely get my forearms through the sleeves...and even then, the blood supply to my hands was being cut off. They are very helpful and want to get it right...sent it back, received it back 2 weeks later...a bit better, but still not what I was looking for. Still to tight overall. They specialize in motorcycle leathers, and seem to have a hard time breaking away from a skin tight design.

Re; Eastman....As far as I know they will do some minor customization..such as altering the sleeve length or body length..but I don't believe they do more major design changes like Aero. Once you order a "custom" jacket from Eastman, it's yours. No return.

Re; Johnson leathers....not sure, but I think they will accept custom orders. Don't know about their policy for returns to "get it right". Next time I am in the Bay Area I plan to drop by their shop and see what they offer re; customization, and, on-site measuring.

Re;Goodwear..
I have a custom jacket from them. They will do custom fitted jackets, I imagine they would do some design alterations. They charge extra for the custom work (unlike Aero), and by the time you pay for it, you are in the range of Aero to begin with.
The overall quality of leather is ok, but doesn't compare to Aero.
The overall fit of my custom jacket is OK, but again, doesn't compare to my Aero's.

Re; Lostword's...never dealt with them. Their prices, for those designs that have caught my eye, are more expensive than Aero..and that is just for an off the rack jacket. I understand their leather is high quality.
I'd rather get a custom fit Aero also made with high quality leather and pay less.

After experiencing some pretty disappointing "custom" leather jacket work, I've pretty much settled on Aero. The measurements they ask for "work" for me, I like their designs, they have been willing to alter them for me when asked, they allow returns to correct construction/design issues. They offer many different kinds of leather..in different weights.
Eastman's "standard sizes" generally work for me...and they build a quality product. Never custom ordered a jacket from them
Vanson...I'll never buy another Vanson jacket I have to wait for to be produced. It will have to be "off the rack". Even then, I doubt I'll do business with them again.
Langlitz....great quality, but I won't buy from them again unless I can visit their shop so they can take my measurements directly, I can show them what I want (fit wise) using examples of what they have on site.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The top brands there are (in no specific order).

-LostworldsInc
-Aeroleather
-Langlitz
-Goodwear
-Eastman
-Buzz Rickson
-Real McCoys / The Few

To a lesser extent:

-Gibson & Barnes
-The Cockpit
-Schott

I'd add to this list (vintage) Brimaco, Vanson, Bates, Beck, Buco, and British Cycle jackets... I currently own a Langlitz cafe and an RMNZ A2, and could not be happier with fit and quality. Both very expensive new, though...

overlord4215

New in Town
I have an a-2 in seal brown horsehide from U.S. Authentic inc IE FlightJacket.com .I love this jacket and am very happpy with it. I put it on as much as i can and it still took 2 years to break in. I dont know why they dont show up on these threads . A pluse is that the jacjets are made un the U.S.A. In upstete N.Y. . They also do custom work . Saving my money for my next order .

dustyjohnson10

New in Town
you'll get many advices from many different peoples. why don't you try search on google which can help you more than we all can here. :)

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I would like to add Mark's 'Superior Flight Apparel' as the quality of the jacket I have is as good and in some cases better than many brands on the list. I hope all is well as the website doesn't seem to be working.

you'll get many advices from many different peoples. why don't you try search on google which can help you more than we all can here. :)

Please! This place is the best! I don't want to Google reviews and have some idiot who knows nothing tell me about a $1000 jacket. I defer to those with experience and knowledge. This is one of the best places around.

StichInTime

New in Town
Apologies for cross posting

I have been looking on Yahoo JP Auctions and Rakuten for something like this

mj14012.jpg

Can anyone list other brands I can search for adding to the following? I'm aware of Aero, Bill Kelso and Alexander but would prefer a JP or US brand.

Lost Worlds
Buco
Real McCoys (too expensive but I can dream...)
Freewheelers (very expensive)
Vanson (come in pretty cheap)
Rainbow Country
Softmachine

Thanks

S.I.T

thor

One Too Many
image.jpg image.jpg
Schott has the 135 and the 689H which are similar (though not all details are the same).

StichInTime

New in Town
View attachment 22895 View attachment 22896
Schott has the 135 and the 689H which are similar (though not all details are the same).

Thanks thor, I didn't think of Schott but it's useful to know they do a similar model.

Any more suggestions of brands welcome. I am particularly interested in brands which are available on Rakuten JP and Yahoo JP as they seem to offer good value compared to eBay.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Look at Johnson Leather jackets located in San Francisco that has received rave reviews on TFL. Specifically look at their Model-200.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look at Johnson Leather jackets located in San Francisco that has received rave reviews on TFL. Specifically look at their Model-200.
+1
Johnson Leather is a full on custom jacket maker. email Alan a picture and he can build a reproduction. Search Johnson Leather on FL sometimes better results with google search fedora lounge johnson leathers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk