Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to reattach sweatband on Stetson?

RJR

A 7X Clear Beaver with unreeded band is a very nice hat,but not terribly rare.A good hatter should be able to help you.Having used Scott Dalsbo's technique myself on a very nice older Borsalino,I can attest that it will work nicely.
I know you're in Texas but you didn't say where;I understand you are po'd at Peters Brothers, so scratch them.
Houston area-Shudde.At one time a licenced Stetson service site.
San Antonio-Paris hatters
Waco-Standard Hatters.
There are more but these come to mind.

One of the problems is it's not a reeded sweat. Most shops won't work on them anymore and I don't believe Art does anymore, though I may be wrong. Most of us are aware of the frailty of unreeded sweats and and working on one w/o tearing trough the existing stitch holes might be 50/50 at best. There are no stitches visible on the outside because a machine designed specifically for that was likely used and any repair of it will probably be done by running a needle through the felt and lining up with the existing holes in the sweat. Good luck not f'ing that up.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/repairing-an-unreeded-sweat.55508/

Been a pleasure to help you.

Last edited:
I'm disinclined to wait twelve weeks to get a few inches of sweatband reattached and no, I couldn't give a rip about what they've done in the past -- I care about what they're doing *right now*...which is not answering the phone.

I also don't care if you think my hat is special or not...It's a very early 7X clear beaver and I don't want some ham-handed, sloppy *** jerk working on it, so sue me.

I'm especially curious how they told you it would take a rebuild if you haven't gotten them to answer the phone.

If your sweat is unreeded, it's a different challenge and not everybody is up to the job. I wouldn't try it. Art is likely your best bet.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Alternatively: I'm pretty sure Bob at Black Sheep could handle the work. He tried to save an un-reeded Borso I had, but it was too far gone. Got refitted with a comfy sweatband instead. Downside is that Bob has a looooooong wait time.

25B

Suspended
Art told me he doesn't do unreeded sweats...recommended I contact optimo as he sold them a couple of machines that could fix it...And optimo just told me they'll only work on their own stuff.

Wonderful.

It’s on their webpage.

I think that webpage was last updated two popes ago. Plus, that's for a full rebuild, not a repair. I'm not certain they'd do an unreeded sweat anyway, unless they still have a machine for it.

Plus, most good hatters will make you wait awhile. If they have no backlog, there might be a reason for that.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I have a ton of trust in Tim at AlleyKat @Cane Rod Maker ... I sent him a Vita Felt Stetsonian to have work done on the ribbon and he was careful and in contact the entire time... even send photos of the entire process ... he takes a lot of pride in his work and is pretty easily contacted

Seconded, Tim takes great pride in his work

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

25B

Suspended
Pics...no stitching showing from outside under ribbon...

Attachments

• 7ECA1117-D75E-4D6A-B565-77574B26514A.jpeg
    7ECA1117-D75E-4D6A-B565-77574B26514A.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 430
  • B40CAF21-4108-495A-A63E-B9AE4563D418.jpeg
    B40CAF21-4108-495A-A63E-B9AE4563D418.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 447
  • F32798E8-6B13-4C62-8D73-EC9914ECFBF4.jpeg
    F32798E8-6B13-4C62-8D73-EC9914ECFBF4.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 442

25B

Suspended
Someone here said because no stitching was showing on the outside of the hat that that meant it was NOT reeded.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Someone here said because no stitching was showing on the outside of the hat that that meant it was NOT reeded.

That person was mistaken or has been misinterpreted.

The reed is the wire running on the outside bottom edge of the sweatband that's wrapped in a grayish material. The wire being exposed to sweat is what causes the oxidation on the back where the ends are joined.

Borrowing Alan's pic from yesterday in the WHAYWT thread:
brown_gorasgu2.jpg

That's an unreeded sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points