Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best quotes - Merged thread - Keep it Clean! No dashes! No Symbols!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My immortal line:
"The important drinking hasn't started yet."

My memorable lines:
"You know what the fellow said—in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
My immortal line:
"The important drinking hasn't started yet."

My memorable lines:
"You know what the fellow said—in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Indeed, that line delivered by Orson Welles as only Welles could sums up Harry Lime's cynicism.

We could start a sub-thread: Would these fabulous lines be the same if delivered by another actor or actress? Imagine Fred MacMurray saying the above line, or Jimmy Stewart as Nick Charles trading quips with Myrna Loy?

Naphtali

Practically Family
Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Major Bennett Marco ("The Manchurian Candidate," 1962)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wally_Hood said:
Indeed, that line delivered by Orson Welles as only Welles could sums up Harry Lime's cynicism.

We could start a sub-thread: Would these fabulous lines be the same if delivered by another actor or actress? Imagine Fred MacMurray saying the above line, or Jimmy Stewart as Nick Charles trading quips with Myrna Loy?
Reminds of of the skit of Carol Channing delivering "I'm Spartacus." :eek:fftopic:

I have seen one of the guys from the Drew Carey Show do the Dirty Harry scene about the "44 magnum being the worlds most powerful hand gun and can blow you head clean off thru the well do ya punk?" in Carol Channing mode.

I had tears in my eyes, i was laughing so hard.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Classic Billy Wilder

From The Apartment:

Fran Kubelik: He's a taker.
C.C. Baxter: A what?
Fran Kubelik: Some people take, some people get took. And they know they're getting took and there's nothing they can do about it.

Fran Kubelik: When you're in love with a married man, you shouldn't wear mascara.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I have seen one of the guys from the Drew Carey Show do the Dirty Harry scene about the "44 magnum being the worlds most powerful hand gun and can blow you head clean off thru the well do ya punk?" in Carol Channing mode.

I had tears in my eyes, i was laughing so hard.

This could be the start of a pretty whack thread: Imagine famous lines delivered by other stars, i.e., Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend by Clark Gable, "I stick my neck out for nobody," by Stan Laurel, or even weirder, Gracie holding an automatic on George, who steps forward and says "Go ahead, you'll be doing both of us a favor."

The possibilities appear to be endlesss...

Story

I'll Lock Up
Wally_Hood said:
The possibilities appear to be endlesss...

... with the magic of CGI.

Imagine casting movies with a mish-mash of time period actors : westerns with John Wayne (at 50), Clint Eastwood (at 35), John Cleese (at 50), John Belushi (at 30) and Will Smith.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
Not exactly "vintage", but always a favorite...

Elwood: "Its 106 miles to Chicago. We have half a tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark outside, and we're wearing sunglasses"
Jake: "Hit it"

Blues Brothers, 1979

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Story said:
... with the magic of CGI.

Imagine casting movies with a mish-mash of time period actors : westerns with John Wayne (at 50), Clint Eastwood (at 35), John Cleese (at 50), John Belushi (at 30) and Will Smith.

Sort of the way Woody Allen did Zelig? Hmmm... this could be both hilarious, and horrifying.

Remember the commercial for a famous soft drink company in which Louis Armstrong sang with Elton John, and Cary Grant sat down at table with a can of the soft drink placed in front of him?

Naphtali

Practically Family
"Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Rico?" The last words of Edward G. Robinson in "Little Ceasar." This dialogue was changed from the novel's: "Mother of God, is this the end of Rico?"
"You, a descendant of generations of inbred, incestuous mental defectives -- how dare you call anyone a barbarian!" Rex Harrison to Elizabeth Taylor in "Cleopatra."
"I apologize for the intelligence of my remarks, Sir Thomas. I had forgotten that you were a member of Parliament." George Sanders to Robert Greig in "The Picture of Dorian Gray."
"A golf course is nothing but a poolroom moved outdoors." Barry Fitzgerald to Bing Crosby and Frank McHugh in "Going My Way."
"A week? Are you kidding? This play has got to close on page four." Zero Mostel discovering the play "Springtime for Hitler" in "The Producers."
"I didn't betray you. I put a stop to you." Pamela Franklin to Maggie Smith in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie."

ron521

One of the Regulars
Best Quote in a Movie?

Just watched "To Have and Have Not" again last night.....and I just melted when Lauren Bacall asked Humphrey Bogart:

"You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together...and blow".

I bet when that film was first shown, you could have heard a pin drop in the theatre following those words.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
"He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue."--Malone (Sean Connery) to Ness (Kevin Costner) on beating Capone (Robert De Niro), The Untouchables

Before that there was Kilvinsky's Law from the movie/book The New Centurians: "Kilvinsky's Law says that if a guy uses his fists, you use your stick. If he pulls out a knife, you use your gun and cancel his ticket right then and there." George C. Scott as Sgt Kilvinsky.

Regards,
Tom

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
PistolPete1969 said:
Not exactly "vintage", but always a favorite...

Elwood: "Its 106 miles to Chicago. We have half a tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark outside, and we're wearing sunglasses"
Jake: "Hit it"

Blues Brothers, 1979

Oh, yes...definitely! ;)

And another timeless classic...."Look, I don't want Fop, godammit...I'm a Dapper Dan man!" lol
Rob

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Dark Passage

From the great movie, Dark Passage, when Bacall is going out to buy new clothes for Bogey after he escapes from prison (italics are mine):

Bacall: Suit?
Bogey: 40, I guess.
Bacall: Shirt?
Bogey: Fifteen and a half, thirty-four sleeve.
Bacall: Hat?
Bogey: Seven
Bacall: Dang, you could clean up on eBay.

Cheers,
GC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk