Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best TV Themes (music)

A bit off topic, but...

You do realize that "Edelweiss" was written by Rogers and Hammerstein for The Sound of Music, and is not a German or Austrian traditional song, right?

It's the last song they wrote together. Hammerstein was on his deathbed with cancer when, in its out-of-town tryout, it was realized that the Captain needed a song to soften his character and show his dedication to country and family. Rogers brought him the hastily written music, and Hammerstein responded with a remarkably life-affirming lyric from a dying man ("...bloom and grow forever"). The song is so perfect that it's frequently mistaken for a real folk song (like Hammerstein's much earlier "Old Man River").

I only knew this because I had looked the song up when they started using it for "The Man in the High Castle." Always enjoyed it in "The Sound of Music," but its use in "Man in the High Castle" brought an added dimension to it and piqued my interest. But to be fair, "The Sound of Music" is not a light movie and it and the use of "Edelweiss" in it has an German Nazi-evil echo with "Man in the High Castle."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff