Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best warm leather jackets?

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I'm moving to a very cold place and am looking to invest in something big and furry. What are the best warm leather jackets that fit the motorcycle/biker, military or vintage look? Brands and styles please.

I think my JL fits this bill to a tee. Cross zip half belt, 4.25oz overdye CXL, lined in flannel and nylon quilt. It's a svelt version of those fuzzy jackets. It kept me super toasty all last winter.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Depends upon what you term "very cold". Iowa is "quite cold" in -25F with 35 mph winds. But that's only a few days a year (really long days, by the way). Northern Alberta with sustained -40F and high winds for weeks on end is exceptionally cold. Given anything like I've just described, the leather jacket would only work as a liner. Since the shell itself gets really cold quick in those temps, they are just not great. However tucked inside something else, leather can still have good heat retention, and excellent wind blocking, much better than say a soft shell fleece. I simply stop wearing leather jackets altogether below about 10F.

That said, I would suggest investing in one of these instead:
http://www.canadagoose.com/us/en/shop/men/outerwear/parkas/
Do not accept imitations. You're lucky there near Seattle, as there are stores that carry these parkas right in stock. Go try one out, and you may just find something that will indeed keep you warmer than you ever hoped to be.

Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
Very cold, you say? Big and furry? This should keep you toasty:

s-l1000.jpg

eb073fbb956feb6610724c2d35263812--snow-suit-coyotes.jpg

b486c2090582d3e495ecb0f0dcadeb45.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
If you want to stick with leather, just go for a nice B-3. Personally, I go for a peacoat when it really gets cold.

alfyman

One of the Regulars
True A B-3 and a Sheepskin Hat and Goggles just in case, I live near a snow line area and I know how cold it can get.. I used to live in the Heat 110 degree's,:(

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 546

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Tbe only warm leather jackets are those worn where it is already warm. Lining will make them warm in the cold - the leather will make little difference. It kind of like nylon, a wind breaker.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Hand held heat packs make a difference too.

I think sometimes its not so much of the cold per se but the wind chill as well. Leather is good at blocking the wind but there may be more modern options.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Aero B3 sheepskin was very warm during the winter and the only cold weather coat required ( very manageable and did not limit mobility ) unless you are going into sub zero then I would recommend Lost Worlds Sheepskin- Very ultra thick and warm.

Azog

Familiar Face
Leather seems to be more of a conductor of heat rather than an insulator. It is colder to the touch than other clothing materials on cold days.

GregGale

One of the Regulars
To me nothing looks cooler than an RAF Irvin. Eastman has great looking ones, I got mine from What Price Glory at a very reasonable price. While the craftmanship doesn't compare to Eastman's, it looked accurate enough when I went to the RAF museum and looked at original ones on the other side of the glass :)

1935121_10153299873651526_5805946178705846071_n.jpg

10644863_10153299320576526_8215928348616016168_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21