Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better then Beauty

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
http://www.amazon.com/Better-than-Beauty-Guide-Charm/dp/0811834514

"Chronicle Books resuscitates the long-lost art of charm with this classic compendium of hints, tips, and tricks guaranteed to boost anyone s charm quotient. First published in 1938, this delightful handbook is overflowing with timeless advice to guide readers through a maze of social interactions with wit and grace. More than an etiquette or personal grooming book, Better than Beauty tackles complicated social situations with delicacy: How to be kind to atrocious people How to avoid the gossip mill How many drinks is too many drinks How to deflect unwanted advances from married men How much to tip And much, much more With good humor, authors Helen Valentine and Alice Thompson offer straightforward charm counsel, making it a cinch to win the admiration of friends, family, and suitors. Featuring original artwork, Better than Beauty proves that charm never, ever goes out of style."

I have a copy of this book and I re-read it periodically....Anyone else a fan of it?

Naama

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Charm is, at the same time, underused and overrated.

You think so? Underused, for sure, but overrated? No way!

Didn't read the book, when it comes to charm, I trust Oscar Wilde or Quentin Crisp lol
But it sounds interesting, maybe I'll give it a try!

Naama

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Its a very interesting book.

and while a lot -is- focused on appearance...its more of the 'work with what you have' variety then any 'particular' type of beauty.

i.e. its about basics that make -anyone- more -attractive-....notice I did not say prettier.

I think I like the book for that reason, it does not make the 'I must aspire to be beautiful like so and so' argument.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Naama said:
You think so? Underused, for sure, but overrated? No way!

Didn't read the book, when it comes to charm, I trust Oscar Wilde or Quentin Crisp lol
But it sounds interesting, maybe I'll give it a try!

Naama

People sometimes mistake charm for kindness. Just as clothes and make-up can cover a variety of flaws, charm can cover a lack of integrity and ability and real goodness. Remember Pride and Predudice?

Still, it's so much more pleasant to be around someone charming than someone who doesn't bother to even try. Since it's in short supply, maybe that's why people are so taken by it.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have this book and love it.
I had to chuckle a few times at certain things, but I think it's a fun read. It's interesting to see how times have changed, or how they haven't changed as much as we think. And reminds me of how much I wish etiquette and common courtesy was still taught to our society.

Mary

Practically Family
I'd love to read it!! I love to be charmed by others but as you say Paisley those people who use charmed aren't always your best friends when needed. But how I love it! :)

Would you post some of tips of how to be charming?! Please!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
I'd love to read it!! I love to be charmed by others but as you say Paisley those people who use charmed aren't always your best friends when needed. But how I love it! :)

Would you post some of tips of how to be charming?! Please!

A few of my favorite tips from the book:

• Don't gossip about ordinary people (i.e., people you wouldn't see in a newspaper or magazine).
  • Choose your confidantes with care. Don't go to someone with two divorces for marital advice, and don't burden acquaintances with your troubles.
  • Be considerate to service providers.
  • Don't be loud in restaurants.
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Paisley said:
A few of my favorite tips from the book:

[*]Don't be loud in restaurants.

[/LIST]

There is nothing I hate more than listening to other people's overly loud cell phone conversations (you know the type - those who feel the need to practically shout while on the phone) while trying to eat in a restaurant. That goes for any other type of public setting (supermarket, etc.) as well.

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
I got this book a few years ago at Barnes and Noble and thought it was charming. There are some things that I thought were pretty relevant and some stuff that, well...it made me giggle. I liked it though. :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I was given this book years ago and I always delve into it periodically!

Actually, what it is saying is that you must make an effort to be the best person you can be, and that involves being considerate to everyone you meet. ie/ charming.

I like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points