• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Bib overalls and suit jackets

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by tonyb, May 31, 2010.

1. Cap_7597

Cap_7597 A-List Customer

What's your thoughts on have a tie on with overalls? I've worn it to the lodge a couple of times. Looks best with the stripped I think.
    Not sure if this was a thing back then or not. Well, guess for this guy it was. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBH likes this.
  2. niv

niv New in Town

Sorry, but I'm reminded of Randy Quaid as Clell Miller, in "The Long Riders," whenever I see the combination of overalls and orphaned/sports jacket.

3. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

OT but that was a great movie but factually not very correct. Clell Miller is buried in one of 5 family plots together, we're just not sure which one. And I often wonder if his skeleton was the one actually returned after a few yrs. His remains may not be here at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

This is a cool pic & could be intimidating if he wasn't holding the rabbit.

Desert dog and BobHufford like this.
  5. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

I love these pics and I've been looking for pics of my maternal grandfather in his overalls and a sport coat because I have a lot of memories him dressed that way. Every time I see a pair of overalls I'm reminded of an old joke.

A poor farmer asked his son what he wanted for Christmas and the son replied that he wanted something to wear and something to play with.
    Come Christmas morning the son opens his gift and finds a brand new pair of overalls with a hole in the pocket.

6. Big Man

Big Man My Mail is Forwarded Here

FB_IMG_1506884964276.jpg I thought this old photo from September, 1931 might be of interest to this thread. This is a photo of the opening day of Belks department store in Marion, NC. The two primary employers at that time in Marion were the textile mill and the furniture factory. From the look of the crowd, there are a number of men wearing bib overalls and suit coats.

7. Cap_7597

Cap_7597 A-List Customer

I'm looking at getting a different brand of Overalls. I have Liberty, Pointer, and Round House.
    What be yer favorites?
    [​IMG]

BobHufford and Michael A like this.
  8. Big Man

Roundhouse.

Cap_7597 likes this.
  9. Cap_7597

Cap_7597 A-List Customer

I need to order some more RoundHouse. The 3 pair that I have, I ordered too small. I know now that you have to order like 2 (TWO) sizes bigger than you usually order!!!

I'm just wondering if I need to order a shorter length when I go up in waist.
    I'm a 36-32 on Pointer Brand. And 36-34 on Liberty.
    I might try ordering 38-34 in RoundHouse? What do you think?

10. Big Man

I wear my overalls for work, so would rather have them a little on the shorter side in the legs and a lot bigger in the waist/body. As a general rule, I will order about four sizes too big and four inches too short from my "normal" size (although anyone who knows me would never call me "normal").

My experience with Roundhouse is they are fairly true to size. But, if you are going to up-size a little, I would recommend going with a shorter than usual inseam.

The only thing I don't like about Roundhouse overalls is the watch pocket in the bib. It is just a slot that opens into the left side top bib pocket. If you bend over, your pocket watch will fall out. I fix this by sewing up the top of the pocket. It gives me one less bib pocket, but does keep my pocket watch safe. That's just a minor complaint on my part, and not enough to keep me from buying from them and giving my recommendation to others.

I would also add, I work hard in my Roundhouse overalls, and a pair will last me three to four years. That's good, hard farm type work where they get dirty.

Cap_7597 and BobHufford like this.
  11. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

Dang, wish I had not found this thread. Now I'm very tempted to head to our local farm supply store and pick up a pair of overalls again. Not had any since, well, I was 18. Hum. :)

Cap_7597 and BobHufford like this.